The "what do I do" thread

Nice to know that people have real job's and are not just faffing around here :D I feel so under qualified here now with most of u engineer's or software professionals!

Nice to know that people have real job's and are not just faffing around here :D I feel so under qualified here now with most of u engineer's or software professionals!
Hi celester340, there is no such thing as being under qualified. If you had named the thread as "what I would love to do for a living", replies would've been quite different (I think) :)

True. I used to love my job at one point in time. Now with the current airline model, minimum rest, fatigue, time away from home and crappy work-life balance, it's not very enjoyable. It still pays decent and I'd rather be doing this than a 9-5 job.

I am an Electrical/Electronics Engineer as per my degree.
Work in a large networking company that sells hardware for data centers.
I validate some parts of the design at various stages.
My job involves a whole lot of typing and excel sheets.
So I am an engineer and HW/SW/Sys professional.
In other words a "glorified typist"
Cheers,
Raghu

I left a "real" job which I thoroughly enjoyed when I was much younger, not so much as I grew older because I didn't like the needless pressure, the cut-throat competing, the 12 hour work days, the needless unrealistic expectations and the total lack of a work-life balance.
To put it eloquently, these days, I just faff around here. ;)

Last edited:
Been wanting to start this for quite some time. Since so many of us are here whiling away idle time, it would be interesting to know what we do as a profession.

I'll start. I'm a pilot been flying for 15 year's now. Started with air Sahara, Kingfisher, Spicejet and now past 5 year's with IndiGo.

Nice Thread indeed Derek, most of us have either limited or no information under profile section.

As for me, I am a seasoned Banker for the last 15+ years, been with ABN Amro then RBS and moved to Deutsche Bank in 2017 which is now in acute troubled waters and butchering almost every staff away...which is the case in most banks!

Used to be an active DJ in the past (College days) and still do it for kicks sometimes...no technical professional certifications but hands on experience with various professional and home AV products for more than 2 decades which has helped myself and friends to know the INs and OUTs!

I am a Chartered Accountant and currently Assistant Director at Moodys Analytics. I manage a team who does back office research for investment banks in Europe and the US. Had worked in NY and Johannesburg for a brief period of time. Previously worked with Oracle India. My father had a small electronics shop where i was introduced to music as we used to keep and sell audio cassettes and CDs as well.

How and where? Ur not Atul kasbekar hiding here on HFV right? :p But seriously tell us about it a little more!

Hahaha, not that kinda popular work. You may know my work from the happy wedding photos of a certain popular actor who married our cricket captain in the end of 2017. Or the ones from the very popular Indian actor who married an American pop sensation recently.

PS: I'm loving giving these hints.
PPS: Some very very cool people here!

Great to know the people behind the user ids!
I run an adventure tourism company
Very interesting - what kind of adventure tourism? If it includes paddling (flat-water or open sea) please let me know.

For the past few years I am doing MBA (Masta Basoon Aaraam), and enjoying seven-day weekends. Yes, I know, terrible work-life balance, but I am not complaining!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back