The "what do I do" thread

Hahaha, not that kinda popular work. You may know my work from the happy wedding photos of a certain popular actor who married our cricket captain in the end of 2017. Or the ones from the very popular Indian actor who married an American pop sensation recently.

PS: I'm loving giving these hints.
PPS: Some very very cool people here!
Aeons ago, you also did a fancy photoshoot of my dear ol' Basanti car..
When I was selling it, maybe I Should have pulled that album out and told prospective buyers that the car's portfolio was done by the same man who did the aforementioned shoots ! :p

Software professional, till a couple of years ago was a Director of Cloud Services in an Indian product co, then moved into a developer role in a small startup.

Have always been into music, used to play the guitar in college and later, now learning the violin (tough instrument, phew!). My current job is very hectic, but it also gives me the flexibility to devote more time to music - listening and learning.

In the IT industry we rarely get to interact with people from other professions - so I'm very happy to see that there are so many from different fields here.

Aeons ago, you also did a fancy photoshoot of my dear ol' Basanti car..
When I was selling it, maybe I Should have pulled that album out and told prospective buyers that the car's portfolio was done by the same man who did the aforementioned shoots ! :p

Dammit man, I knew there was only one superczar in these parts here. I was gonna say HIII!!!

After going through the pages of this thread, realised there are a lot of things to be learnt from the professional diversity here!
I am an assistant manager in Wipro(healthcare). Love biking - a very active member of the biggest biking community in India. Have a few travel logs. Not much into smartphones - still using a black and white feature phone. Ok, my wife has one! Getting time for myself and family in the bargain.
Have let go of some other opportunities for the sake of work life balance which I somehow manage to get. Into easy listening. Now that I have got my setup, spending the weekends to test the lower frequencies through some action movies.
Must say, underwhelming considering some of the accomplished members here! Will keep on learning from you all.

Last edited:
Well Iam a sailor on the verge of becoming a dolphin, as I've spent more time lost in the sea than on land.. probably always done everything sideways....maybe a beer and cig in hand. Not much to speak about my line of work. Never needed too much space and always wanted to live on the edge. So sailing is perfect for me :D

That said Iam amazed at the multifaceted membership we have here. And all enjoined by a common love for music. Most delighted to be amongst you all good sirs :)IMG-20190731-WA0004.jpg

I started my career as Service Engineer after Diploma in Electrical & Electronics Engg. and worked for 9 years inluding Diesel alternator servicing. Then switched as Service Engineer for Keyboard/Mouse (helper kind of, not really a Service Engineer) and System Administration, Testing in Finance domain, Development, MicroControllers, Linux Device Drivers, Storage technologies and now in Seagate Technologies (Yes, Hard disk drive...!) as R&D VLSI Verification Engineer in Chip design division. You would have noticed I have not grown vertically, what ever I am interested I just switch without bothering about career, hike, designation.... just fun!

You would have noticed I have not grown vertically, what ever I am interested I just switch without bothering about career, hike, designation.... just fun!
I've been doing this all along :) For the past decade I've been self employed, with lots of ups and downs, but it has been a very singular and wonderful experience, met lots of people whom I would never have managed to meet otherwise and learned a lot in the process. Prior to that had worked with a large Engineering firm and later a public sector one, both of which were pretty much drab, so quit :)

Oh I am! I was just kidding! ;) have done my bachelor's in Aviation and soon will be getting a master's in the same field.
Sorry, I didn't mean that you are not academically qualified. I meant that it alone doesn't bring qualification :)

Well Iam a sailor on the verge of becoming a dolphin, as I've spent more time lost in the sea than on land.. probably always done everything sideways....maybe a beer and cig in hand. Not much to speak about my line of work. Never needed too much space and always wanted to live on the edge. So sailing is perfect for me :D

That said Iam amazed at the multifaceted membership we have here. And all enjoined by a common love for music. Most delighted to be amongst you all good sirs :)View attachment 37868

Do you get to listen to music while on-board? Personal audio or there are also recreation centres with stereo systems? I guess the music of the oceans provides a soothing background to whatever is played! Do you explore music scene at the shores where you land? Any stories to narrate?

I started my career as Service Engineer after Diploma in Electrical & Electronics Engg. and worked for 9 years inluding Diesel alternator servicing. Then switched as Service Engineer for Keyboard/Mouse (helper kind of, not really a Service Engineer) and System Administration, Testing in Finance domain, Development, MicroControllers, Linux Device Drivers, Storage technologies and now in Seagate Technologies (Yes, Hard disk drive...!) as R&D VLSI Verification Engineer in Chip design division. You would have noticed I have not grown vertically, what ever I am interested I just switch without bothering about career, hike, designation.... just fun!

Transitory career path is innate preference for some persons. What we call vertical growth is only one of the four generic career path possibilities, but overrated/overfocused in the corporate world. Good to see you don’t mind transiting in order to follow your changing interests.

Great thread this is.

Myself Marine Engineer from Chennai. Started as Cadet with a company called Fleet management, then with The India Cements shipping ( yes, them) now for 9 years with Bernhard Schulte ship management. I enjoy what I do. Joined this forum when I was a Cadet, its really a long happy voyage.

Do you get to listen to music while on-board? Personal audio or there are also recreation centres with stereo systems? I guess the music of the oceans provides a soothing background to whatever is played! Do you explore music scene at the shores where you land? Any stories to narrate?

Well. I was thinking on similar lines with a slightly different perspective. Just wondering if any pilot ever played music for passengers even for a brief period of time. @celester 340 any thoughts on this as well.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back