The world's 77 most expensive speakers...

You can't even compare Rethm Saadhnas to these beasts, i won't, not even in my dreams. Considering Rethm's price, they can be compared with the likes of MA platinum, Theil CS series, Acapella, etc., all in the 3-4 lac range.

You can't even compare Rethm Saadhnas to these beasts, i won't, not even in my dreams. Considering Rethm's price, they can be compared with the likes of MA platinum, Theil CS series, Acapella, etc., all in the 3-4 lac range.

Hi-end sound is not about price. It is about the best sound you can get.
Hi-end brands is about price and pride of ownership and sometimes about good sound too ;)
Both are sometimes mutually exclusive. Sometimes not.
You can actually compare a well setup sadhana to anything. For a single driver full range lover, the likes of MA Platinum and Theil are not an option. There are no absolutes in audio. Whatever floats your boat is your thing.

Last edited:
There's not even a single single-driver speaker in that expensive list, so how could even one imagine of comparing Rethm's with them, as posted by some one above ?

There's hell a lot of difference between MS 906i and MA RS6, one is budget, and another one is somewhere in the midrange, can anyone who heard them, tell both sound same irrespective of their prices ???

For me or anyone who listened to them both, RS6 is far superior coz its made to sound like that, and that comes with a price. And, 906i is good but far less than RS6, and it's cheap.

You can actually compare a well setup sadhana to anything.

I would not go that far not that the Rethms are bad. In fact I've not heard the Rethems yet, but will be auditioning them along with Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 soon.

But no matter how good or well tuned a Ford Fiesta is (or anything in that price range), it just cannot compare with a Ferrari and that's the difference in cost between the Rethms and the Focals (though the Ferrari does cost a lot more, but using it as an example here).

i wouldn't dismiss the Rethms simply based on the price. I haven't heard them but the reviews that I've read (including 6moons and stereophile) seem to suggest a phenomenally capable loudspeaker at a very competitive price. I would love to hear the opinions of any members here who have heard the Rethms and have also heard some of the monstrously expensive speakers on that list.

I would not go that far not that the Rethms are bad. In fact I've not heard the Rethems yet, but will be auditioning them along with Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 soon.

But no matter how good or well tuned a Ford Fiesta is (or anything in that price range), it just cannot compare with a Ferrari and that's the difference in cost between the Rethms and the Focals (though the Ferrari does cost a lot more, but using it as an example here).

Of course I'm not dismissing them. I'm sure they will rock and that's why I'm planning between them and the Anthony Gallo. I'm even convinced about Audioengines (which many on this forum are not convinced about), but just because the A5s have great reviews all over the net and are great speakers does not mean they will hold their own against the Rethms right? Speakers costing 20K no matter how good cannot compare with speakers costing 2-4 lacs. Same rule also applies between speakers costing 2-4 lacs and those that cost 30 lacs to 1 crore.

Maybe I am biased, but I've not heard anything else that I liked after I heard those Focals with my friend. The Focals and the Bryston are two things that I'm absolutely sold on.

i wouldn't dismiss the Rethms simply based on the price. I haven't heard them but the reviews that I've read (including 6moons and stereophile) seem to suggest a phenomenally capable loudspeaker at a very competitive price. I would love to hear the opinions of any members here who have heard the Rethms and have also heard some of the monstrously expensive speakers on that list.

Couldn't agree with you more!

fwiw i used to own a fiesta :cool: Nice car.

You are assuming the Focal is the Ferrari :D
For some people it may not be ;)
It all depends on what you are looking for. The Rethm is just an example of a very musical sounding single driver-full range speaker. There are others too. Multi driver speaker speakers are not everyones cuppa tea. Lets not focus on specific brands or models here. The list is very comprehensive if you are looking only at the sticker price. It will definitely make a typical streopile -class-A-list :D

Let us not assume this will be list for everyone if they are looking for the speaker they want to buy irrespective of the price.
There are different CAMPS even in hi-end audio depending on your taste and what is important to you. Everything is not represented in this list. Some may prefer much less expensive or even very obscure speaker designs.

After a certain point, Price has nothing to do with reproduction of music.

My above thoughts are of course not relevant if you not able to look beyond the mainstream-glossy brands.

Last edited:
since you're very sure, would you be able to enlighten me with that price point (in terms of numbers)??

Very difficult to pin-point a number.
If you hang around enough you start seeing people changing camps and even buying simpler setups often gaining musicality and saving money in the bargain.
For example I know someone in Bangalore who sold a pair of 6 lakh worth speakers and then made himself a pair of speakers with scanspeak drivers for around 1.5 lakh with help from somebody who knows what he is doing. He saved a lot of money. Gained better speakers for himself.
Now the point is this: someone else may like the speaker which was replaced. It is a matter of choice.
There are people who have heard the Wilson Alexandrias and walked away disappointed. There are some who have taken second mortages to buy them. There are no clear answers :D

Last edited:
i totally agree with the broad principle, but it is a very "broad" principle with a lot of exceptions. For instance there are very expensive DVD players from big name manufacturers costing several times that of the Oppo 983 which can't match up to the Oppo.

I agree that comparing a 4-lakh pair of speakers to speakers costing 20-times and more sounds absurd and the natural presumption is that they wouldn't hold a candle to the latter, but what I would like to know are personal audition results, what the people who've actually listened to the rethms and some of the other super expensive speakers have to say about how they compare. I am not expecting anyone to say the Rethms are better or even as good, but the relative difference is what I'd like to hear about.

To put it another way, if a particular speaker (say the Focal Grande Utopia ) costs 25 times the Rethm, is the final sound that they reproduce so far apart as to begin to justify the price difference? I know this is enormously subjective which is why I am not asking if it is 25 times better, just good enough to even come close to justifying the price difference.

I also realise another limitation which is the single-driver, multi-driver debate, but even then 25 times is enough of a difference in price to account for all sorts of aberrations :)

Of course I'm not dismissing them. I'm sure they will rock and that's why I'm planning between them and the Anthony Gallo. I'm even convinced about Audioengines (which many on this forum are not convinced about), but just because the A5s have great reviews all over the net and are great speakers does not mean they will hold their own against the Rethms right? Speakers costing 20K no matter how good cannot compare with speakers costing 2-4 lacs. Same rule also applies between speakers costing 2-4 lacs and those that cost 30 lacs to 1 crore.

Maybe I am biased, but I've not heard anything else that I liked after I heard those Focals with my friend. The Focals and the Bryston are two things that I'm absolutely sold on.

I would put it this way psychotropic. Most will not hear a difference between the Rethms and the Focals. I'm saying this because most have not even heard the Rethms itself forget the Focals. The Rethms themselves are out of the reach of most of our countrymen.

However, there will be a few who will hear the difference between the Rethms and the Focals and for such the Focals will justify all the expenses involved.

@square_wave - Ferrari was just an example. For some its the ultimate. For me a BMW any day. And yes while I would not spend on a Ferrari, I will be spending on the Focals. As you said its all subjective and in my book a Focal is better than a Ferrari. My brother is happy with his Cadence, thinks I'm crazy and will any day pick the Ferrari.

i totally agree with the broad principle, but it is a very "broad" principle with a lot of exceptions. For instance there are very expensive DVD players from big name manufacturers costing several times that of the Oppo 983 which can't match up to the Oppo.

I agree that comparing a 4-lakh pair of speakers to speakers costing 20-times and more sounds absurd and the natural presumption is that they wouldn't hold a candle to the latter, but what I would like to know are personal audition results, what the people who've actually listened to the rethms and some of the other super expensive speakers have to say about how they compare. I am not expecting anyone to say the Rethms are better or even as good, but the relative difference is what I'd like to hear about.

To put it another way, if a particular speaker (say the Focal Grande Utopia ) costs 25 times the Rethm, is the final sound that they reproduce so far apart as to begin to justify the price difference? I know this is enormously subjective which is why I am not asking if it is 25 times better, just good enough to even come close to justifying the price difference.

I also realise another limitation which is the single-driver, multi-driver debate, but even then 25 times is enough of a difference in price to account for all sorts of aberrations :)

A brand becomes a well recognized and respected one not by being pricier. Its by the way they built their reputation step by step over the years. By crafting some of the finest machines by careful engineering. There are always those dark horses who come from underground and become a star but do they really compete head to head with the Popes out there, I doubt. These guys are excellent candidates for the lesser mortals (pun intended) like me who cant afford the Grande Utopias but aspire for a similar sound. This is in no way meant to offend the proponents of that stream. After all everybody has to start somewhere.

YouTube - JMLab Grande Utopia EM

YouTube - Kharma corporate video part 1

YouTube - Kharma corporate video part 2

My own humble mass market speakers are made somewhere in the scandinavian outskirts. Worth every penny and love the sound. No complaints!

YouTube - Dali Hi End Loudspeakers

Since we are on the automobile analogy, think of it as the excellent Skoda Superb - in many ways its comparable to the E class, yet much cheaper than later. Still, a prospective buyer will try to stretch his budget to get the coveted tri-point star!

Oh, and my favorite car would be this beast

01_ext_phtgal_char_09.jpg

@unleash_me - Not a Hummer? Even they make some awesome beasts. But the Dodge looks awesome!!!

Hummer is good. Infact everytime an H1 goes by I literally drool, not that the common H3 is any less attractive! But I have always liked the Dodge Charger and its a buyable one too, practical as well for a city dweller like me. Keeping it realistic gives juice to my motivation which might just go burst thanks to my never ending wish list. Oh crap, I sound like an absolute materialist!

Boss no Bose???

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::clapping::clapping::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::cool::licklips::D

This will be shocker to bose devotees and ainly people who want to graduate to Bose!!!

Unleash, you forgot the x-material video by Wilson :D
Still there are people who cant stand Wilsons. They prefer something else. Much cheaper but make better music for them ;)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back