They're here... Axiom M3 pair and coming soon... VP100

re: They're here... Axiom M3s...

Guys... the speakers are in Hyd now :yahoo: and the chocolates too :yahoo:

Wharfie Bookshelves will not disappear.

And Yes after I heard such speakers I realized that this ability counts as one of the topmost in the must have features list.

Even if my speakers manage to disappear, I may not be able to appreciate the same as I haven't listened to any reference setups earlier. Or is it too abovious for a layman?

For people who have someone in the US.
There is a complete ACI 7.1 loudspeaker system selling for 3000$ :thumbsup:
Selling My ACI 7.1 System

For those who are not aware of ACI, they are a highly regarded loudspeaker manufacturer. At 3k$ they are a downright steal.

Re: They're here... Axiom M3s...

hey gobble, we're waiting hear your feedback on the audire callisto!

Wharfie Bookshelves will not disappear.

And Yes after I heard such speakers I realized that this ability counts as one of the topmost in the must have features list.

Cheers

hey gobble, we're waiting hear your feedback on the audire callisto!

After I receive the Lyrita Pre ..

You aaare in Quuuuuuu .. Pleeeeeze waiiiiiit ... for changed number ..dial 1951 ... 1952 ... :)

Cheers

The speakers are with me now and first impressions on look and feel:

- Well packed in separate boxes (each speaker). They handled the journey across the world very well, even after NTS opened and repacked them for security inspection in USA.
- Each speaker comes with a set of 4 adhesive rubber mounts which could be stuck on the bottom for reducing vibration/resonance. There is a plastic wrench included to tighten the speaker binding posts in each box.
- Seem to be sturdy, well made and feel a bit bulky for their size
- The finish seems a bit duller than what we see in the photos, I do prefer matt/dull finish compared to glossy.

The speakers are with me now and first impressions on look and feel:

- Well packed in separate boxes (each speaker). They handled the journey across the world very well, even after NTS opened and repacked them for security inspection in USA.
- Each speaker comes with a set of 4 adhesive rubber mounts which could be stuck on the bottom for reducing vibration/resonance. There is a plastic wrench included to tighten the speaker binding posts in each box.
- Seem to be sturdy, well made and feel a bit bulky for their size
- The finish seems a bit duller than what we see in the photos, I do prefer matt/dull finish compared to glossy.

hmmm! so the reviews is going to be in bits in pieces. i must appreciate your patience. when i get any new audio gear, i just can't stop till i hear some sound out of it. i have done it many times. some times i have come back home at 5 am and set up the system and listened to songs till 6:30 am even when i had to go for duty at 9am.

hmmm! so the reviews is going to be in bits in pieces. i must appreciate your patience. when i get any new audio gear, i just can't stop till i hear some sound out of it. i have done it many times. some times i have come back home at 5 am and set up the system and listened to songs till 6:30 am even when i had to go for duty at 9am.

Been there, done that... Monday being a holiday, I have 3 full days to setup and listen to them, hence taking it a bit easy...

Set them up yesterday and here is the initial feedback:

Equipment: Onkyo AVR 504, Pioneer DVDP 610, Belden Co-ax IC, Belden 12AWG speaker cable. Axiom M3s placed 7ft apart and 1 feet away from the wall behind them on the TV-wall-unit, 30" from the floor.

The first CD I popped in is Vivaldi 4 Seasons, Denon label CD, pressed in Japan - Even without breaking-in, the Axioms sounded "beautiful" and brought the music alive into my hall. The violins are a joy to hear and I wanted to continue till the end of the disc.

Tried some pop (CDion, TBraxton) and the axioms clearly reproduced the highs and mids without any hitch. Based on other reviews, I was looking for some sort of compression in the mids (with more accent on lows), I couldn't see any of that. May be because, these tracks do not have much of bass anyways. Out of the blue, my kid commented that it sounds as if somebody is singing in front of us.

Tried some telugu film music (original CDs) and I could make out the quality difference when compared to the above ones.

The AVR was set in (Direct) 2.0 mode for the above CDs.

Popped in the "Incredibles" to try some action/lows and repeated the last 2 chapters in 2.0 mode. The bass was clean without muddiness (punchy?) and I thought one could live without a sub in small rooms. Both male and female vocals were reproduced clearly, may only get better as they break-in.

Watched a Hindi movie in DD 5.1 mode, Late night filter on and at low volume last night, the clarity of the Axioms was very evident. I could clearly hear the male/female voices without them being suppressed by other "noises" in the audio track, even with my Onkyo 3" woofered center speaker in the mix.

Overall, I feel the axioms are polished performers and will stand on their own in this range. They do very well in noise-free environs at low volumes (yet to try high volumes though). Are they laid-back, fatigue-free and do they disappear? I need to spend more time with these guys before I could answer these questions, and I still suspect the physical layout of my living room is coloring the sound a bit.

Last edited:

Hi Kumar,

Hearty congratulations to you. I am sure your speakers are your neighbor's envy. I want to know if you/your sister had to pay any duty on that? and was it packed in the check-in baggage? please tell me..... 2 days to go for me....

Venky

Hearty congratulations to you. I am sure your speakers are your neighbor's envy. I want to know if you/your sister had to pay any duty on that? and was it packed in the check-in baggage? please tell me..... 2 days to go for me....

Thanks, no duty was paid by my sister as these are the only dutiable items she was carrying (apart from the chocolates :lol:). Generally, speakers alone don't raise the red flag in customs, but if you are carrying an AVR or any electronic items, you are most likely questioned and levied duty. Also, the price of these items was below the personal limit, though she didn't have to show the invoice or anything like that...

She cheked them in as luggage. To secure both the individual speaker packages together, my friend in USA has used a lot of packing tape all over the cartons, and they looked a bit ragged because of that and this might have led the customs guys to consider them used or of lesser value.

BTW, what have you ordered and who is carrying them and into which port in India?

Hi kumar,

Congrats on getting the Oxioms. I have read rave reviews about this speaker company all over the net. You must be one happy guy:).

Please consider getting a stereo amp and a CDP (even used will do) to pair with them down the line.Yes i have read your disclaimer that you are not a music buff.But these speakers deserve them and you will not regret the decision.

cheers,
sri

Now the cost, VFM part...

The Axiom M3 pair cost USD.330 delivered in USA, which is ~INR.16k. Luckily, this is the only cost to me, as I didn't pay any further shipping, duty to get them to India. At this cost, I feel they are a definite VFM and hard to beat. If you have friends/relatives visiting USA on short business trips...

Axiom ships all of their products to India which costs ~12% in addition to the product cost in USA (ex: M3s cost USD.370 to be delivered to your door in India). However, any customs and VAT levied will be in addition to the original cost and the courier company will collect the same from you on delivery.

You could try the Outlet products (3 to 4 weeks of waiting time) to get an instant 10% off and if you order 5 or more priducts (including brackets, speaker stands etc.) at the same time, you get another 5% discount. All speakers can be ordered as an individual peice :eek:hyeah:. It might help to club orders from other guys in your city and go for outlet products to reduce the final cost.

Oct/30/2009: I see that Axiom has increased the shipping charge by 10%, i.e. we need to pay ~20% extra compared to the all inclusive cost in USA. The 10% discount in the outlet and 5% shipping discount (if you order 5 or more items in still valid).

Last edited:

Congrats on getting the Axioms. I have read rave reviews about this speaker company all over the net. You must be one happy guy:).

Please consider getting a stereo amp and a CDP (even used will do) to pair with them down the line.Yes i have read your disclaimer that you are not a music buff.But these speakers deserve them and you will not regret the decision.

Sri, thanks and I do appreciate your words and passion. Though I have read on HFV and other sites about the difference a 2.0 setup makes, I haven't heard any such setups in a typical home environment so far and "was" a bit skeptical about the degree/range of difference they make. After hearing the M3s for 2 days, I started thinking :lol:. May be a 2.0 setup in due course of time, before that I want to hear some 2.0 setups and I will bug our friends on HFV when the time comes. Off late, I have started buying jazz/pop/blues CD/SACDs (used on Amazon) and they are with my friend in UK, to be shipped. May be hearing more of good music may push me in 2.0 direction, but till then...

For now, my preference is to upgrade the rest of the 3.0 and then take a call on whether to focus on the sub+AVR upgrade or otherwise go for a 2.0 setup. I somehow feel that upgrading to a decent AVR (Yam-663?) will improve both 5.1 and 2.0 experience. The family is absolutely hooked on to good 5.1 content from Hollywood and let my try to enhance that experience first...

Dear Kumar,

Congratulations on your purchase !!

Have you wall mounted the Axioms ?

Am looking at something similar is specs and price range too.

thanks,
Mpw

Congrats SKumar,

it must be feeling like reaching a peak during rock climbing. you forget all the pains you had to take to get there.:yahoo:

Try out Leann Rimes and Tracy Chapman. if you are happy with T braxton and C Dion, you will be amazed by recordings of Leann Rimes(the one i absolutely love is "How do I" from Con Air).

BTW, did you mention the price?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back