Things I can do with my new Samsung S2?

guys any free version of tapatalk for android. i downloaded another app powered by tapatalk for free .. something cyxxx works well however still not like tapatalk..

I have my Galaxy Nexus (Google Nexux Prime) and I am really proud of it. This is how I use it. Kindly make a note there are some really quality apps I am about to list ...

1. Camera :: Nothing special Instagram
2. Office apps (Word, Excel etc) :: Not sure about S2, but my Nexus has Document Viewer for DOC,XLS,PPT and PDF files which works perfectly
3. Music :: Winamp for android
4. Movies :: RockPlayer (no competitor, simple plays everything thrown at it)
5. Streaming (From my NAS from LAN) (Movies) :: ES File Explorer (Outstanding apps)
6. Streaming (From my NAS from Out side LAN or from Internet) (Music) :: Squeeze Player with Squeeze Comander (You have to have Squeeze Box server running on your NAS, machine what ever)
7. Streaming (From Internet) (Music) :: Saavan for Hindi Music
8. Streaming (Radio) :: TuneWiki
9. Recording :: Hi-Q MP3
10. E-Books :: Play Books
11. Parallel to Sri :: Kicking ass with Google Now
12. Skype for video chat
13. Remote Apps .........

a. XBMC for android
b. Remote for VLC
c. Foobar2000 for Foobar
d. BT Remote PC, to use my phone as a remote mouse touch pad for my desktop

13. FTP access :: AndSMB
14. Anyclip pro to send text notes from my phone to PC and Vice versa
15. File manager :: Astro
16. RSS News and Articles :: Appy Geek, News Republic and Google Currents
17. Cloude Storage :: Browser for SkyDrive
18. SSH :: ConnectBOT
19. All in one chat messenger :: eBuddy
20. Banking :: iMobile (for ICICI)
21. Call Blocking :: Privacy Safe
22. Movies :: IMDB
23. Booking :: BookMyShow
24. TataSky :: For scheduling recordings from my Mobile itself
25. Mobile backup :: Appmounster plus google servers
26. Browser :: Dolphin
27. SoundHound for music recogination
22. Games, Just Three :: Wordfeud, Guns 'n' Glory and Papi Jump

=========================

Hope this covers almost everything that one needs on a mobile device ..... :)

I have my Galaxy Nexus (Google Nexux Prime) and I am really proud of it. This is how I use it. Kindly make a note there are some really quality apps I am about to list ...

1. Camera :: Nothing special Instagram
2. Office apps (Word, Excel etc) :: Not sure about S2, but my Nexus has Document Viewer for DOC,XLS,PPT and PDF files which works perfectly
3. Music :: Winamp for android
4. Movies :: RockPlayer (no competitor, simple plays everything thrown at it)
5. Streaming (From my NAS from LAN) (Movies) :: ES File Explorer (Outstanding apps)
6. Streaming (From my NAS from Out side LAN or from Internet) (Music) :: Squeeze Player with Squeeze Comander (You have to have Squeeze Box server running on your NAS, machine what ever)
7. Streaming (From Internet) (Music) :: Saavan for Hindi Music
8. Streaming (Radio) :: TuneWiki
9. Recording :: Hi-Q MP3
10. E-Books :: Play Books
11. Parallel to Sri :: Kicking ass with Google Now
12. Skype for video chat
13. Remote Apps .........

a. XBMC for android
b. Remote for VLC
c. Foobar2000 for Foobar
d. BT Remote PC, to use my phone as a remote mouse touch pad for my desktop

13. FTP access :: AndSMB
14. Anyclip pro to send text notes from my phone to PC and Vice versa
15. File manager :: Astro
16. RSS News and Articles :: Appy Geek, News Republic and Google Currents
17. Cloude Storage :: Browser for SkyDrive
18. SSH :: ConnectBOT
19. All in one chat messenger :: eBuddy
20. Banking :: iMobile (for ICICI)
21. Call Blocking :: Privacy Safe
22. Movies :: IMDB
23. Booking :: BookMyShow
24. TataSky :: For scheduling recordings from my Mobile itself
25. Mobile backup :: Appmounster plus google servers
26. Browser :: Dolphin
27. SoundHound for music recogination
22. Games, Just Three :: Wordfeud, Guns 'n' Glory and Papi Jump

=========================

Hope this covers almost everything that one needs on a mobile device ..... :)

thats an exhaustive list man.. this should cover all my needs.. wil be going home now.... and up with the play store....

thanks sam9s

rooted the S3 today and got super user access.. installed cpu frequency control apps and titanium backup , root explorer.. good apps for the geeks..

as of now not tried any custom roms but plan to sometime soon.

Syncing contacts - I am a little paranoid. Are you guys too?
I have not set my most used gmail id as the ID for android. Instead I created a new.
LinkedIn asked me to sync contact details between phone and site. I didn't do it.
I do not have FB app - I open FB site in opera.

Do you think there is a lot of value in adding everything (linkedin, fb, gmail) along with your phone contacts?
Also, how to do you manage notes/ ToDo list/ conversation recordings per contact, centrally and easily available.

I have synced everything ....... infact I am using a dedicated application called contaps that do quite a bit more then the default one ..... for me syncing make sense as all the updates and everythign cmes under one roof ........

for notes/to do list I use Gtask and Inkpad ..... two worth apps

Saw this post just today ...

Folks, I recently got myself a Galaxy S2. Moved from blackberry. Looking forward for suggestions/ help on how to make the most of it.

While a number of things are obvious, there may be less obvious things. I am putting down what I know and want.
Congrats. It is a good phone. Overpriced in my opinion but not when compared to iPhone. But does one really need a phone worth 25K or more? It is an individual choice. I have the same phone BTW which I purchased during a time of inflammed cerebral condition. :)

1. Point and shoot photography - 8mp camera in your pocket. Sounds lovely, but I have noticed a couple of issues. Before clicking, the screen shows the scene very contrasty and colorful. However, it is very dull once it is clicked. Also, the photos seem a little out of focus to me. Photography using S2 can be a good thread in itself. How are you guys finding it as a p&s camera?
Have downloaded instagram, but seems I will first sign up. Any other recommended editing apps?
Camera is crap. Works well to an extent outdoor only. But I am the SLR/D-SLR types and hence very critical of photo quality.

2. Office email/ contacts/ calendar - this seems obvious. MS Exchange Active Sync should do the job. Any gotchas here? Has anyone set/ tested a remote wipe on it??
There is a 'gotcha' here. I found that the S2 would not link to my corporate email account using the email app. I googled and found that you should use the calendar application to sync.

3. Reading/ editing word/ excel - how to do that? Any suggestions? Most of the times these would come as attachments in email.
The in-built Polaris Office suite can work well. But the reading size is another matter. Editing? Forget it. You grandson's will have grandsons before you can master editing using any smartphone.

4. a. Music - digital out/ usb out seems impossible from this phone. Is line-out a possibility?
No idea. Never tried.

4. b. Streaming/ DLNA - I tried capturing stream from foobar and it worked - only if it was set to transcode to mp3. I have all music in apple lossless, so it doesn't recognize. It would have been better if I could browse and play lossless content from foobar2k or any other DLNA server. Even WAV files seem to be not supported.
I can stream video to my ST50 using AllShare. I was trying out .AVI and .MP4. Did not try other apps.

4. c. Internet Radio - best app to tune into online radio stations?
No idea.

5. Profiles - I wish I could have different profiles on the same phone. Lot of people take your phone to have a look and then peak around. I would like to keep few things out of bounds. This can either be achieved by a separate password for some apps, or a switch profile kind of thing - where same apps run, but with different IDs - split personalities ;) . Office email/ Facebook/ gmail are some of those.
Some of this you are saying such as seprate user-id's is not possible. Phone is afterall meant for a single user.

6. Reading - it might be a little painful given the small screensize. But the ability of carrying books in your pocket has immense potential. Also , fear of running out of battery holds me back from doing any serious reading on the phone. I find kindle much better, but than you can't carry it with you everywhere.
Samsung also has a reader's hub. How does it compare with kindle?
I tried the Samsung built-in eBook reader. But everytime, the reader would request to download the book when it had already done so earlier. I gave it up. eBook Reader = Kindle. No other equation possible. Not even any other tablet including iPad.

7. what is social hub? how is it different from having fb app etc setup on my phone?
Social hub integrates many email a/c's, sms, FB, twitter, various messengers, etc. into a single window (sort of). You can choose what to integrate or what to exclude. It is a good feature.

8. voice talk vs voice command? Seems like a parallel to Siri. I can ask to switch on driving mode etc. via voice talk.
Voice talk/command are good features but I do not use them much.

9. Samsung apps vs google play?
Google Play anyday.

10. remote apps - for samsung TV and any other devices. Any app/ hardware for universal remote? Seems there is an android app for harmony link!
How about remote for appleTV? Ipad/ iphone has a great remote app and I like my appleTV to the core. Will try some free apps and will report.
I have tried the Viera Remote. It is good app. But the good or bad are part of the app and not limitations of the phone.

11. Antivirus? Do I need one?
I have not installed any till date. I am fine. But for safety, you may install one. Avira seems to be a good choice.

12. browsing - I have downloaded opera and using it for browsing my favorite web sites, including hifivision. Though right now using my laptop for this message.
For forums, buy the Talkatap app. Nothing better. It is some Rs. 155 well spent.

13. Skype - how is it on 3G and Wifi? I have installed but not really used it. Tried video call between laptop and phone but no real usage. How is "video call" on 3G? Does that work android to android only or also on iphone etc?
Tried to call my friend using wifi. My BSNL is 512 kbps. It does not work well on these speeds. 2 mbps or so is required for video call. 3G should do fine.

14. Navigation - actually this was on top of my list, but missed it and now I am too lazy to change numbering. I am using the "maps" application and have the GPS turned on. I am fairly new to this. So and 101, for dummies is welcome. I can do basic operations like finding my location and getting directions. But I don't know how to turn on voice directions.

Did I miss out anything else? Not much into games. But a few games that help prevent my mind from rusting away (downloaded unblock me) might be good. Any app that trains you in playing chess? Or endgames?
I have not tried this. Just google and perhaps you will find instructions.

Recommended apps besides the one already preloaded:

Utilities
- ASTRO File Manager / Browser
- AndroZip File Manager
- Barcode Scanner
- Easy Battery Saver (highly recommended)
- Tiny Compass
- Tiny Flashlight (highly recommended)

General
- Adobe Reader
- Wiki Encyclopedia

Games
- Angry Birds

News
- ESPNcricinfo (if you like Cricket)
- NDTV

Social Networking
- LinkedIn
- Talpatalk Forum App (highly recommended)
- Yahoo! Mail (if you use it)
- Yahoo! Messenger (if you use it)

I'm facing difficuilty in watching Utube with S2.

I connected S2 with HDTV connector (Micro USB to HDMI convertor) to my LED TV and watching UTube. It plays for fews seconds and stops...I have Airtel BB 512Kbps constant speed. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Syncing contacts - I am a little paranoid. Are you guys too?
I have not set my most used gmail id as the ID for android. Instead I created a new.
LinkedIn asked me to sync contact details between phone and site. I didn't do it.
I do not have FB app - I open FB site in opera.

Do you think there is a lot of value in adding everything (linkedin, fb, gmail) along with your phone contacts?
Also, how to do you manage notes/ ToDo list/ conversation recordings per contact, centrally and easily available.

Well I find syncing of contacts with your google accounts a great help. Specially while you feel to switch your handset with another android device.
Gone are the days when we had to transfer our contacts via outlook or some PC suit s--t. Phew... It used to give me jitters to switch hand sets but now its a matter of a couple of minutes.
I use FB a lot. Infact android drew me into the SN-world. Used to call SNSs a timepass for people out of work or a dump yard crowded of junkie youths. But FB got me in touch with many of my classmates from school.
Android is a great OS for portable devices. Waiting for a pc version! That would throw iOS and may be Microsoft Windows OS out of business for good.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

paritosh, actually I use outlook to sync contacts between handsets :)
It synced them when I had sony erricsson 4-5 years back, then shifted to BB and now to android.
BB, or a windows phone, or an iphone (???) may not be able to sync with google. Which I may change to ;)

I'm facing difficuilty in watching Utube with S2.

I connected S2 with HDTV connector (Micro USB to HDMI convertor) to my LED TV and watching UTube. It plays for fews seconds and stops...I have Airtel BB 512Kbps constant speed. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

is the same video playing fine without connecting the HDMI?
Youtube is VERY slow even for me. I have a 4Mbps connection but still the youtube struggles to play HD videos.

Thats strange, I have a 4Mbps connection as well and youtube flies ..... on even 1080p content ...... are you sure you are getting proper 4mbps ...... do a SpeedTest. Below is mine ...

I am getting around 2.8Mbps. They called me yesterday and said some cable is replaced. It is a little better in terms of youtube, but not what I would expect a 4Mbps to do.

is the same video playing fine without connecting the HDMI?
Youtube is VERY slow even for me. I have a 4Mbps connection but still the youtube struggles to play HD videos.

On the computer U tube plays fine. The minute I connect S2 it stops.

for security (anti theft) you can use this "cerberus"

the best i have come across till date. you can do all the cool stuff with this app where iOS dies in shame :rolleyes:

you can get the call log remotely, you can start an alarm, you can record the sounds around your phone, lock your phone with a code, take a picture,use flash,select the camera front/back to take a picture and way more stuff all remotely and with out even turning on the screen on the phone :eek:hyeah:

if you are not willing to share the apps with your friends when they use your phone, use appLock. ;)

I am getting around 2.8Mbps. They called me yesterday and said some cable is replaced. It is a little better in terms of youtube, but not what I would expect a 4Mbps to do.

Get it done bro, :) u r paying for a 4mbps connection and thats what you should get. I eat their head off if my speed even drops 0.5 mbps below 4. Else I have records and I fight not to pay.... :)

Though Airtel CC and techs are good as far as I have dealt with. Haven't had any speed issues as such with them ....... :)

Can someone point me to a good resource on using Foobar remote on android with Foobar 2000? I keep getting the socket error message when I try to connect my I9000 to my laptop with Foobar.

which one is a good app for recording calls? I sometimes want to record what the other person is saying. There should be an easy way to connect the "my contacts" with recordings, or by the phone number for which the recording was made.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back