Things I can do with my new Samsung S2?

anm

Folks, I recently got myself a Galaxy S2. Moved from blackberry. Looking forward for suggestions/ help on how to make the most of it.

While a number of things are obvious, there may be less obvious things. I am putting down what I know and want.

1. Point and shoot photography - 8mp camera in your pocket. Sounds lovely, but I have noticed a couple of issues. Before clicking, the screen shows the scene very contrasty and colorful. However, it is very dull once it is clicked. Also, the photos seem a little out of focus to me. Photography using S2 can be a good thread in itself. How are you guys finding it as a p&s camera?
Have downloaded instagram, but seems I will first sign up. Any other recommended editing apps?

2. Office email/ contacts/ calendar - this seems obvious. MS Exchange Active Sync should do the job. Any gotchas here? Has anyone set/ tested a remote wipe on it??

3. Reading/ editing word/ excel - how to do that? Any suggestions? Most of the times these would come as attachments in email.

4. a. Music - digital out/ usb out seems impossible from this phone. Is line-out a possibility?

4. b. Streaming/ DLNA - I tried capturing stream from foobar and it worked - only if it was set to transcode to mp3. I have all music in apple lossless, so it doesn't recognize. It would have been better if I could browse and play lossless content from foobar2k or any other DLNA server. Even WAV files seem to be not supported.

4. c. Internet Radio - best app to tune into online radio stations?

5. Profiles - I wish I could have different profiles on the same phone. Lot of people take your phone to have a look and then peak around. I would like to keep few things out of bounds. This can either be achieved by a separate password for some apps, or a switch profile kind of thing - where same apps run, but with different IDs - split personalities ;) . Office email/ Facebook/ gmail are some of those.

6. Reading - it might be a little painful given the small screensize. But the ability of carrying books in your pocket has immense potential. Also , fear of running out of battery holds me back from doing any serious reading on the phone. I find kindle much better, but than you can't carry it with you everywhere.
Samsung also has a reader's hub. How does it compare with kindle?

7. what is social hub? how is it different from having fb app etc setup on my phone?

8. voice talk vs voice command? Seems like a parallel to Siri. I can ask to switch on driving mode etc. via voice talk.

9. Samsung apps vs google play?

10. remote apps - for samsung TV and any other devices. Any app/ hardware for universal remote? Seems there is an android app for harmony link!
How about remote for appleTV? Ipad/ iphone has a great remote app and I like my appleTV to the core. Will try some free apps and will report.

11. Antivirus? Do I need one?

12. browsing - I have downloaded opera and using it for browsing my favorite web sites, including hifivision. Though right now using my laptop for this message.

13. Skype - how is it on 3G and Wifi? I have installed but not really used it. Tried video call between laptop and phone but no real usage. How is "video call" on 3G? Does that work android to android only or also on iphone etc?

14. Navigation - actually this was on top of my list, but missed it and now I am too lazy to change numbering. I am using the "maps" application and have the GPS turned on. I am fairly new to this. So and 101, for dummies is welcome. I can do basic operations like finding my location and getting directions. But I don't know how to turn on voice directions.

Did I miss out anything else? Not much into games. But a few games that help prevent my mind from rusting away (downloaded unblock me) might be good. Any app that trains you in playing chess? Or endgames?

I bought a S2 for my wife and still have the bb. My points below

Folks, I recently got myself a Galaxy S2. Moved from blackberry. Looking forward for suggestions/ help on how to make the most of it.

While a number of things are obvious, there may be less obvious things. I am putting down what I know and want.

1. Point and shoot photography - 8mp camera in your pocket. Sounds lovely, but I have noticed a couple of issues. Before clicking, the screen shows the scene very contrasty and colorful. However, it is very dull once it is clicked. Also, the photos seem a little out of focus to me. Photography using S2 can be a good thread in itself. How are you guys finding it as a p&s camera?
Have downloaded instagram, but seems I will first sign up. Any other recommended editing apps?

Camera360 is I feel better than instagram. Cartoon camera is a nice fun app.

2. Office email/ contacts/ calendar - this seems obvious. MS Exchange Active Sync should do the job. Any gotchas here? Has anyone set/ tested a remote wipe on it??

Use Avast mobile, extremely powerful, more in the antivirus section.

3. Reading/ editing word/ excel - how to do that? Any suggestions? Most of the times these would come as attachments in email.

4. a. Music - digital out/ usb out seems impossible from this phone. Is line-out a possibility?
Dont think its possible.

4. b. Streaming/ DLNA - I tried capturing stream from foobar and it worked - only if it was set to transcode to mp3. I have all music in apple lossless, so it doesn't recognize. It would have been better if I could browse and play lossless content from foobar2k or any other DLNA server. Even WAV files seem to be not supported.

You can use it as a controller by the foobar2k app.

4. c. Internet Radio - best app to tune into online radio stations?

I use absolute classic rock and desi music. Try Tune in - its quite popular.

5. Profiles - I wish I could have different profiles on the same phone. Lot of people take your phone to have a look and then peak around. I would like to keep few things out of bounds. This can either be achieved by a separate password for some apps, or a switch profile kind of thing - where same apps run, but with different IDs - split personalities ;) . Office email/ Facebook/ gmail are some of those.

6. Reading - it might be a little painful given the small screensize. But the ability of carrying books in your pocket has immense potential. Also , fear of running out of battery holds me back from doing any serious reading on the phone. I find kindle much better, but than you can't carry it with you everywhere.
Samsung also has a reader's hub. How does it compare with kindle?

There is a kindle app that you can use, if you prefer its interface.

7. what is social hub? how is it different from having fb app etc setup on my phone?

8. voice talk vs voice command? Seems like a parallel to Siri. I can ask to switch on driving mode etc. via voice talk.
yeah, but dont depend upon it :)
9. Samsung apps vs google play?
samsung apps <<<<<<google play
10. remote apps - for samsung TV and any other devices. Any app/ hardware for universal remote? Seems there is an android app for harmony link!
How about remote for appleTV? Ipad/ iphone has a great remote app and I like my appleTV to the core. Will try some free apps and will report.

11. Antivirus? Do I need one?
Use avast. excellent app. lets you do a lot of stuff, including remote wipe.

12. browsing - I have downloaded opera and using it for browsing my favorite web sites, including hifivision. Though right now using my laptop for this message.

13. Skype - how is it on 3G and Wifi? I have installed but not really used it. Tried video call between laptop and phone but no real usage. How is "video call" on 3G? Does that work android to android only or also on iphone etc?

14. Navigation - actually this was on top of my list, but missed it and now I am too lazy to change numbering. I am using the "maps" application and have the GPS turned on. I am fairly new to this. So and 101, for dummies is welcome. I can do basic operations like finding my location and getting directions. But I don't know how to turn on voice directions.
Using Google maps, it works only as a visual driving direction. 'Navigation' is supposed to, but I havent got it working for me.

Did I miss out anything else? Not much into games. But a few games that help prevent my mind from rusting away (downloaded unblock me) might be good. Any app that trains you in playing chess? Or endgames?

Last edited:
the idea of keeping 2 profiles is very important. Hope there was a way to do that. Something like a VM maybe.

what is the alternate to Kindle reader? I have kindle device so having kindle app is a good thing to have.

what is the alternate to Kindle reader? I have kindle device so having kindle app is a good thing to have.

Books are better read on kindle device itself. It's easy on the eyes and more involving to read books on the device.

Use your new gadget only for pdf files which don't show very well in Kindle device.

will try reading a book. with 4.3 screen, and super amoled, it maybe better than other phones. Of course, kindle is the best for low eye strain.

ANM, my thoughts from using the S2 for some time.

1. Camera - I got crisp pictures most time. The main problem I faced was (i) either the subject moved in low light or (ii) Focus setting was changed. In daylight, pictures are very good. Night pictures are better than most phones (except Xenon flash ones). Check the "Focus Mode" setting under the settings (the gear icon). It has Auto, Macro and Face Detection. Make sure it is in Auto for day to day photography. I found that I didn't change after taking some MAcro Photos and the pictures were blurry.

2. Outlook - ActiveSync should do the trick. Haven't tried remote swipe. However, our server modified settings when I connected first time to the server. So I assume it works.

3. Office files -I found that POlaris OFfice was sufficient for most reading/minimal editing.

4a. Samsung sells (for a whopping Rs. 1500) a HDMI adapter. You can use this to send video to TV or receivers. Not sure if it can be music alone.

4b. DLNA - I was able to use the player to connect to my PC and play video on to my Samsung TV. Haven't played much with non-Samsung TV.

4c. I prefer Sky.FM over Pandora.

6. I use Kindle and Polaris Office. The advantage of Kindle app is that I can start from wherever I stopped in my Kindle Device and Vice-Versa.

7. Social Hub is a one stop app for all your messages/updates. You can use individual applications or use Social Hub. I use a combination of both.

8. Voice Talk/COmmand - The feature I am not able to get it work properly, most likely due to accent.

9. Both.

10. I use the remote for Samsung Devices very frequently(you can reduce the TV volume even from the other room). I think there are apps (playstore) for other devices like Denon AVRs.

11. AV - Avast and Samsung

12. Browser - Dolphin

13. Skype - Works great with Wifi. Video calls were great. I do not have 3G. Hence cannot comment on 3G. But I have successfully used Voice calls over 2G with very good clarity.

14. Maps - Google. Usually pretty accurate even w/o GPS> GPS will really help. Tip: Use Pre-Cache, if you know where you are going.

15. Some good games to use the capabilities of S2 - Fruit Ninja, Mortal COmbat 2/3, Riptide GP, Asphalt 6 HD. The clarity, saturation and the feel was amazing.

16. other things to try...

a. Tethering - I use WiFi Hotspot very frequently. Very useful feature
b. Use Astro File Manager (supports zip files)
c. Bar Code Scanner
d. Cam Scanner (Take pictures and scan the JPG to get you a scanned image)
e. Flash light (very very useful). And the S2 light is really good.
f. Swype - So easy than typing. Especially for English :) Not much luck with local languages.
g. Don't use face lock. Supposed to be a security issue.
h. ICS supports Device memory and SD card locking. I haven't used it (due to other reasons). But, that was the feature I really love.

looks like you are selling S2 with such good propaganda..(just kidding)
it is like a new girlfriend , you imagine 100 possibilities ,in the end she is a habit ("aadat") .

So called features are good to have 20% find use ..
For buyers before buying they imagine it as life changer . :lol:

for office apps such tiny screen is useless except for casual mail check reply .
barcode scanner, cam scanner are not even 30% of real thingy.

phone drains battery in 1 day or less if net is on , so instant mail alerts are
normally not usable unless u can keep it on charging.
finally the bad news : The DAC in S2(yamaha) is poorer than S1 (wofson). you can search in forums.

pkr - thanks for point wise responses.

I got the microsoft active sync setup today. Strangely the same settings were giving an error when connecting from home but worked from office. Yet to try from home as it is getting charged atm.

kaushik - it is not a life changer, at least not for ppl like me who are hooked to laptop 24x7 - but a really good device. I am liking its touch and looks and amoled.

@Sound1, for that use Nokia :)

@Kaushik, I agree with you. Usage varies. I use the flashlight, barcode scanner and cam scanner very frequently. I use the office applications(Polaris, Mails, COmmunicator etc) extensively. Camera (with HD recording) is useful (in fact, I use the real camera very rarely). I understand that the battery drains fast if I use it this way. But then, there are compromises everywhere :)

@anm, if you are in US and use amazon, get the Amazon app. You can scan the barcode of the item and get the amazon price.

Well, I find the voice quality VERY clear on this phone. Except battery thing, there is no need for carrying another phone.
Not in the US, at the moment :)
I have downloaded a barcode scan app named "Scan", but haven't used much. It failed getting a lock on the bar code on my laptop though.

Last edited:
Well, I find the voice quality VERY clear on this phone. Except battery thing, there is no need for carrying another phone.
Not in the US, at the moment :)
I have downloaded a barcode scan app named "Scan", but haven't used much. It failed getting a lock on the bar code on my laptop though.

the laptop screen is also flickering at 60hz... it might not get a lock everytime.

Found a great streamer/upnp player app called BubbleUPnp. Its by the same guys (Bubbleguum) who write the Asset Upnp player.

Its a nifty app that lets you play from the local media server (your phone) or from a library in any other media server in the lan and switch from playing it locally or remotely.

I am able to play flac/wav/mp3 from foobar in my pc to the s2 as also use it as a remote for making it run on my pc.

The only drawback is that the free version only allows a very small playlist. Didnt find any other restriction.

okies.. so i am in the list too with the hunt for useful apps.. not trying to hi-jack the thread..

got a galaxy S3... hunt for apps started....

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back