Things to buy from US

sribuddy

Hi All,

one of my relative is flying from US. I had asked her to get a AV receiver & PS3 along with her when she is coming to India. She is already carrying a laptop and camcorder for herself :sad:.

I feel that she might land in some trouble with customs, carrying all these.

I need your suggestions to shortlist between AV receiver (400 dollars) or PS3 (300 dollars)

My actual requirement is both :licklips:. I was also going through 20north.com, but i do not have any experience in online shopping. IS it safe? Will the product be delivered as per the site?

Please enlighten me. thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sri

id say go for receiver.
not much difference between the ps3 prices over here and there. however in av receiver, there is quite a bit of margin.
but do consider this - the av receivers from US are 110v and hence would require a step down transformer to work

if you are using 20north , I would suggest you also check out the prices on ebay.in -> global easy buy.
I have found the prices in electronics to be cheaper on GEB
Global Easy Buy

I recently purchased an AVR through them and got it about 12k cheaper compared to 20north, was delivered in exactly 8 days from purchase date.

Online shopping through both these sites is quite safe.
also, try and use coupons from the below link to get further discounts.
Happy Shopping!!

eBay India Coupon Codes - all coupons, discounts and promo codes for ebay.in

Thanks all. I will have to compare 20North and Global ebay before sending note to buy from US. Yes, I found rs. 10000 difference between 20North and India price for Onkyo 608 receiver.

I will compare 20North and Global ebay and see which is better.

Another question on bringing stuff from US. If I intend to bring a receiver from US on baggage, is there a limit allowing us to bring stuff from US. What is the value?

While in transit, is there a possibility that sombody can tamper/open to check what is carried?

if that is not an option, then will there be any issue bringing the goods in from our airport authorities?

Thanks

No value limit excepting weight limit( 50 lbs per piece) two checked in bags-if there is a third bag you will have to pay extra to check it in. Some airlines may allow you to exceed 50 lbs-upto a limit of 75 lbs, by paying extra-but you need to check this out.

Generally one neednt worry about losing anything in transit-all bags are in secure areas. In Bangalore ALL bags are XRayed, and if they see something that they cant identify, they mark an "X" in chalk and you may be asked to open it if you don't give a reasonable explanation. In Madras, I have never seen this, while coming from the US, and never had a problem.

Hope this helps.

No value limit excepting weight limit( 50 lbs per piece) two checked in bags-if there is a third bag you will have to pay extra to check it in. Some airlines may allow you to exceed 50 lbs-upto a limit of 75 lbs, by paying extra-but you need to check this out.

Generally one neednt worry about losing anything in transit-all bags are in secure areas. In Bangalore ALL bags are XRayed, and if they see something that they cant identify, they mark an "X" in chalk and you may be asked to open it if you don't give a reasonable explanation. In Madras, I have never seen this, while coming from the US, and never had a problem.

Hope this helps.

My suggestion will be to buy some good Blu Rays from USA which are quiet difficult to find in India....especially documentaries.........

Thanks GeorgeO.
Nice suggestion DebA, that is already there in the list. Iam yet to finalise on the list.

So far, based on the discussions. I will get the receiver from US and will order by Bly ray player or PS3 from 20North or Global EBay...

Sorry to disagree on this. Both the items and value thereof are governed by Baggage Rules 1998 as amended from time to time.
BAGGAGE RULES
How religiously these are observed depends on Customs authorities. Airport authorities and Airlines have nothing to do with this.

Sorry to disagree with you-where is the value limit specified-I did not state" value exempt of duty". Anyone can bring any goods valued upto amount provided he is willing to pay the duty applicable-I assume that was the question asked-did the original post ask for the value limit exempt of duty? I think not.

hi GeorgeO, Thanks for confirming back on the value exempt on duty part. My intentions were to know what if some one carries a few items in baggage apart from a exempted laptop from US. I am under the impression that, If the bill is on me, and the pack is open, I can bring it in.

Please correct me if I am wrong. If things don't go well as planned. I'll order online.

Thanks again.

Sribuddy

If a person brings in a set of items, and some are exempted, then if the customs folks open and look into what else is brought, it is possible that they will add up the value( which can easily be established by showing an invoice for these item(s)), and then after deducting the amount that is applicable for exemption-USA is currently 25K, asking for duty to be paid. If the bill for one of these items is in your name and someone else is bring it in, I dont think it should matter for the purpose of proving the value. So if the person brings in stuff totally worth 50K, after deducting 25K, the remaining 25K will be the value on which duty is payable.

Does this clarify your question?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back