Thinking of step by step upgrade...please help.

Latheesh

My present system is listed below which is mainly used for music and I am happy with the performance.
Source - CA DV99
Amplifier - NORGE CONCERTO 1000
Bookshelves - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.2
SPEAKER CABLE AND INTERCONNECTS - DAC

Could you please suggest some low cost upgrade which will improve the performance.

Source - How will be the performance of CA DV99+CA DacMagic? Is it worth investing money. Is this source combination work well
with my present amp and speakers?

What are the other options available? I have no technical knowledge in this area, so I am looking for your reccomendations.

Last edited:
when you upgrade always start with your weakest link. the ca dv99 isnt a weak link. am not sure what your budget is but if you want to upgrade i would start with the amp or speakers

The CD6003 AFAIK has a USB input, but can I connect a NTFS hard disk and
play songs of it or is it only for iPOD?. What would be the approx price?.

Thank you.

How will be the performance of CA DV99+CA DacMagic?

This is a more sensible upgrade for your current setup. IMO, the performance of this combo will be a very nice step-up in SQ or for that matter any external DAC to your DV99.

Said that, I'm not sure if you can get a DacMagic at your budget, but you can consider Beresford Caiman, which falls into your budget.

:)

My friend may travel from UK within couple of months, he can carry the same. He is the one who got me CADV99 for 120 pounds :)))).

DacMagic costs just above 200 pounds there. How much BC DAC costs? and the model number?

After adding DAC I wont be able to do immediate upgrade in the near future due to shortage of vitamin M.

Each stage of upgrade will have a time gap of 3-6 months.

My plan:
1) DAC to existing system..???
2) Better speaker cables (budget around 2K, brand/make suggestions?
3) Dont Know

Last edited:
^ Latheesh let me know the details where you would be buying the DacMagic at 200 pounds.

You can get details of the beresford products from here:
Home HIFI

The owner Stanley is a member of this forum (handle - StanleyB)

My friend may travel from UK within couple of months, he can carry the same. He is the one who got me CADV99 for 120 pounds :)))).

DacMagic costs just above 200 pounds there. How much BC DAC costs? and the model number?

After adding DAC I wont be able to do immediate upgrade in the near future due to shortage of vitamin M.

Each stage of upgrade will have a time gap of 3-6 months.

My plan:
1) DAC to existing system..???
2) Better speaker cables (budget around 2K, brand/make suggestions?
3) Dont Know

Hai latheesh,

Try changing your DAC Speaker cables to Belkin cable, PM Ramshifi forum member for details about improvement.

N.Murali

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your suggestions!!

Where in Bangalore can I get Belkin cable? How much it costs?

Will changing cable and DAC performance of my system, say 20-30%!!!? :)

I somehow dont agree with the suggestions so far. I dont think you are going to gain much by upgrading the DAC or dvd player for that matter. You need to spend a lot of money to beat this. Dont upgrade your cables unless your current ones are utter trash. with this kind of system, cable upgrade will give you zilch gains.

Your weaklink are the speakers and amp. I have never tried the norge so I should not comment on these, but the wfdale are simply bad speakers. try some other speakers or a different amp and see if you get better improvements.

Why not amp? TRy different amps. To be honest I have average Sansui amp A-E970 which I pitched against Norge Ref 2000 ,the claimed Top End from norg stable and different was too big .Sansui was better with cleaner sound and Bass. ( I say average as it is not "cult" sansui like AU Seies.BTW IT has onboard Dac!) so there are number of options in used market and a good amp lasts for 25+ years ..so why not Amp Upgrade?
Also why not different source like PC+ DAC ,Or Media Playere+ DAC or PC in WiFI + Apple Airport Express + DAC?

Hemant

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back