thump during amplifier turn off....

manu4panjab

hey brothers as most of u know i have emotiva xpa-5 and umc-1 i want to know when i turn oof the emotiva amp i heard thump from my speakers is it normal ,will it do any damage to my speakers :sad:

hey brothers as most of u know i have emotiva xpa-5 and umc-1 i want to know when i turn oof the emotiva amp i heard thump from my speakers is it normal ,will it do any damage to my speakers :sad:

Hey Manu Bhai

You purchased sooper dooper woofer to hear it go thump! thump! thump! Now you have problem with one last thump! when it turns off? :eek:hyeah:

Many people report such a problem with their gear. How loud is it?

Cheers

Hey Manu Bhai

You purchased sooper dooper woofer to hear it go thump! thump! thump! Now you have problem with one last thump! when it turns off? :eek:hyeah:

Many people report such a problem with their gear. How loud is it?

Cheers

not loud but it can be heard and only from both front speakers

Manu:

Most of the Naim amps have this 'annoying' sound when they are switched off, heard through the speakers; your case is also same. Certain amps have this trait, so don't worry, no damage is done anywhere.

:)

There may be other problems for the issue you are facing.

But as general rules, please always follow the procedure below:

1. While powering on:
Always turn on the sources (CDP, DVDP etc) first. Wait for a few seconds. Then make sure the amp volume is at the minimum. Then turn on the amp. Allow a few minutes before you start playing something from the source. Then finally adjust volume to the preferred level.

2. While powering off:
Basically follow the reverse procedure. Always power off the amp first (but before that reduce the volume to zero). Then the sources.

Your speakers will never get damaged during powering on and off if you follow the above procedure.

In addition,

3. Keep everything powered off whenever changing something like changing interconnects etc.

4. In case of tube amps, never turn on the amp without a load (that is, without connecting the speakers)

I have meticulously followed the above procedure for all these years. My family members sometimes get irritated but I have not compromised.

Regards.

i always do turn on the source first then amp and amp off first then source but still there's a thump and i also turn the volume to 0 when i turn off the amp but still thump ,so it means i'm fine with thump no damage to my speakers

i always do turn on the source first then amp and amp off first then source but still there's a thump and i also turn the volume to 0 when i turn off the amp but still thump ,so it means i'm fine with thump no damage to my speakers

This could be a prob buddy... This does not sound good....

The noise that you hear is actually the power supply capacitors "giving up" the stored energy.Its natural and will not destroy your speakers if your amp is not turned too loud but in that case the cross overs in the speakers have their own protection circuits.
:cool:)

The noise that you hear is actually the power supply capacitors "giving up" the stored energy.Its natural and will not destroy your speakers if your amp is not turned too loud but in that case the cross overs in the speakers have their own protection circuits.
:cool:)

thanks brother that's a relief when i turn off the amp its not loud thump but it thumps the speakers ,so i guess i'm fine and my speakers too right ......

Usually home audio segment designers seldom pay attention to switch-ON/OFF thumps....

Just switch on the amp at last after switching on other equipments with volume down and switch off the amplifiers first while turning off other equipments afterwards.

Home audio amplifiers are easy going, shall not pose any problem to speakers. Things are different in pro-audio where an amplifier must have some inbuilt means to eliminate the thumps while power ON/OFF otherwise speakers have to bear the torture.

Just switch on the amp at last after switching on other equipments with volume down and switch off the amplifiers first while turning off other equipments afterwards.

Home audio amplifiers are easy going, shall not pose any problem to speakers. Things are different in pro-audio where an amplifier must have some inbuilt means to eliminate the thumps while power ON/OFF otherwise speakers have to bear the torture.

i'll already do that method but still a thump not loud but its there i guess i have not to worry about it anymore as most of people said its ok

as most of u know i have thump noise coming from speakers and whooshing noise when i power it up ,turns out only ch-5(right channel) in xpa-5 does that so what i did is i just call to emotiva and they send me new ch-5 module for xpa-5 and also instructions on how to open it and changing it

they send it free no shipping charges etc etc this is what i call a customer service

Manubhai,

keep us posted after you rectify the problem with the emotiva. Judging by your interaction with Emotiva, it appears that they are serious about their A.S.S!

Manubhai,

keep us posted after you rectify the problem with the emotiva. Judging by your interaction with Emotiva, it appears that they are serious about their A.S.S!

ya sure but problem turn worst 4 channels in xpa-5 are bad i have to talk to them tonite and see if they send me four modules or new xpa-5

This sounds like an issue iwth the amp. Either the powersupply is dying crapping out in the amp or you are inadvertently creating a loop in the circuit.

If all channels are toast now, your only options are to send back the amp for repair - a costly affair due to shipping making the Emo deal not such a great bargain. Hope its not so bad. Good luck.

Thump during Amp turn on and off is normal. Manufacturers usually employ some methods to eliminate this. In modern chip based amps, this has been resolved by built in circuit in the chip. My 1982 Sony amp had a built in relay that would connect the speaker 5 sec after turning on the power. Same has been employed in my 2007 model yamaha sub where a relay connects the amp to the speaker after 5 secs. I made a op amp based amp which is working perfectly except there would be thump during power on/off. I put a relay with a delay circuit that connects the amp output after 7 secs to the speaker. The turn on thump is gone but the turn off thump is there which is nominal. I practically switch on/off my amp multiple times a day since it is connected to the TV with no damage to the speaker.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back