thump during amplifier turn off....

The noise that you hear is actually the power supply capacitors "giving up" the stored energy.Its natural and will not destroy your speakers if your amp is not turned too loud but in that case the cross overs in the speakers have their own protection circuits.
:cool:)

As mentioned above it is your caps in the the amp discharging. I get that with my amp when I power on(caps charging) and power off. Nothing to worry as long it does not sound like a thud and sound more like a whooshing:rolleyes: you turn off the downstream equipment first.

Last edited:
just receive email from emotiva they said turn off thump is normal no need to worry if we send u new modulars it will happens again so no worries

i only have thump when i turn off the amp so its normal and its a releif i have been using xpa-5 for over a month now and no damage to speakers

Most of the high end amps will have a soft start and Cutoff circuit..which will protect it or isolate the speakers from this thumps while Switching ON/OFF...still Purists brands always ommit this section in the design for a short signal path...pls do a check up ...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back