Time to upgrade from Wharfdale

Working on recommendation in the Forum, i inquired about Dali also

Dali Zensot 7 + Zensor3 + Vokal is offered around 1.05 lakh all inclusive

Seema like I will be able to extend some budget to add a SVS PB 1000 into it

Polk RTI A7 + FXi A4 + CSI A6 are little costlier than this

Does Dali make a deal?

When you have 100% usage for movies, consider BS speaker (or) a high end satellite speaker system.... A FS doesn't add anything to movies, once it is calibrated, crossover kicks in & sets it @ 80Hz.. So the purpose of FS is defeated....

Dali Zensot 7 + Zensor3 + Vokal is offered around 1.05 lakh all inclusive
Polk RTI A7 + FXi A4 + CSI A6 are little costlier than this

I would agree with elangos. You should go with BS or large sats all around when this is 100% for movies. There is no point in having FS fronts.
You could also look at GoldenEar.

Infact I am still open to idea of getting a powerful Center and adding another Sub like PB1000 if that fills the Room more efficiently.

Before deciding that BS are better for movies, you might want to check this thread
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/48005-please-help-me-make-right-home-theater-setup-decision.html

Don't quite get your point here. John has a much larger well treated room and finally he went with larger bookshelves with higher sensitivity. His tests in post 13 were conducted using the full range of the speakers without connecting the subwoofers.
I am happy with my sats in my untreated living room which is very similar in size to the OPs room.

Don't quite get your point here. John has a much larger well treated room and finally he went with larger bookshelves with higher sensitivity. His tests in post 13 were conducted using the full range of the speakers without connecting the subwoofers.
I am happy with my sats in my untreated living room which is very similar in size to the OPs room.

Hi,

I would also recommend going for a BS based setup if you can get the right speakers + amplification + sub woofers.

Even I was told by many to go with FS for movies / music in a bigger room. But I ended up getting a higher sensitivity BS for my movie setup. From my experience, I initially chose the wrong BS (KEF Q300) for movies. But I also realized that it was not just the speakers, but my Denon AVR was also struggling to drive KEFs to reference level volumes and I ended up frying my KEF 300s because my AVR clipping and fried the drivers. But I was lucky to get the drivers replaced under warranty (thanks to ProFx). But I was still not convinced that an FS would solve my problem.

After few auditions and research, I ended up upgrading to the following equipment.

Klipsh RB 81 5.0 speaker package (2 x RB-81 II + 1 x RC-62 II + 2 x RS-52 II). I am using a pair of KEF Q300 as my rear surrounds.

2 x Velodyne EQ Max 12 Subs

Emotive UMC-200 Pre Proc
Emotive XPA-200 to drive fronts (150w/ch, , all ch. driven)
Emotive UPA-500 to drive center and surrounds (80w/ch, all ch. driven)

Cross over setting is at 80Hz. My front speakers can go deeper. But crossing over at 80Hz gives me a better overall response from my setup.

I now get ear bleeding sound at around 60-70% volume and occasionally check the drivers in my RB 81 for any dents or tear :). For Indian movies, ever at 50% volume, its too loud. Only for perfectly mixed Hollywood BluRays, I need to bump up the volume to 70% to get the full effect.

You can check my other thread to see how I managed to dent the woofers of KEF Q300 - http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/47180-unexpected-disappointing-performance-kef-q300-2.html

BTW, I am not a big fan of Klipsch sound, especially when it comes to music. They are very forward sounding and harsh for my liking. But for movies, its a blessing in disguise as you get all the sparkles and effects like in a theater. However, I almost get an ear fatigue after watching a movie. Buts thats okay, I do not do movie marathons. KEFs on the other hand are laid back in comparison and I enjoy fatigue free music sessions for 3-4 hours.

I think the choice of high sensitivity speakers + better power amps and pre proc + adding one more sub amps solved my issues.

Thanks,
John.

Hi,

I would also recommend going for a BS based setup if you can get the right speakers + amplification + sub woofers.

Even I was told by many to go with FS for movies / music in a bigger room. But I ended up getting a higher sensitivity BS for my movie setup. From my experience, I initially chose the wrong BS (KEF Q300) for movies. But I also realized that it was not just the speakers, but my Denon AVR was also struggling to drive KEFs to reference level volumes and I ended up frying my KEF 300s because my AVR clipping and fried the drivers. But I was lucky to get the drivers replaced under warranty (thanks to ProFx). But I was still not convinced that an FS would solve my problem.

After few auditions and research, I ended up upgrading to the following equipment.

Klipsh RB 81 5.0 speaker package (2 x RB-81 II + 1 x RC-62 II + 2 x RS-52 II). I am using a pair of KEF Q300 as my rear surrounds.

2 x Velodyne EQ Max 12 Subs

Emotive UMC-200 Pre Proc
Emotive XPA-200 to drive fronts (150w/ch, , all ch. driven)
Emotive UPA-500 to drive center and surrounds (80w/ch, all ch. driven)

Cross over setting is at 80Hz. My front speakers can go deeper. But crossing over at 80Hz gives me a better overall response from my setup.

I now get ear bleeding sound at around 60-70% volume and occasionally check the drivers in my RB 81 for any dents or tear :). For Indian movies, ever at 50% volume, its too loud. Only for perfectly mixed Hollywood BluRays, I need to bump up the volume to 70% to get the full effect.

You can check my other thread to see how I managed to dent the woofers of KEF Q300 - http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/47180-unexpected-disappointing-performance-kef-q300-2.html

BTW, I am not a big fan of Klipsch sound, especially when it comes to music. They are very forward sounding and harsh for my liking. But for movies, its a blessing in disguise as you get all the sparkles and effects like in a theater. However, I almost get an ear fatigue after watching a movie. Buts thats okay, I do not do movie marathons. KEFs on the other hand are laid back in comparison and I enjoy fatigue free music sessions for 3-4 hours.

I think the choice of high sensitivity speakers + better power amps and pre proc + adding one more sub amps solved my issues.

Thanks,
John.

I read the entire thread and it was pretty interesting, lot of technical stuff to digest :)

I have a budget constraint at this time and I wish to construct a dedicated HT in future.

Without adding an external Amp to my Marantz 6009, it would be great to know how a more "attacking and room filling" speaker set could be bought under budget of 1-1.25 lakh.

I have almost decided to add a SVS PB 1000 sub next week to existing setup because that will be needed no matter I upgrade the 5.0 or not.

I read the entire thread and it was pretty interesting, lot of technical stuff to digest :)

... I wish to construct a dedicated HT in future.

You might be interested in going through John's excellent and detailed HT thread.
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/46258-yet-another-dedicated-home-theater-build.html

There are several more which are also very detailed and are must reads for anyone wanting to build one. I have some earmarked for a possible build in the future.

You might be interested in going through John's excellent and detailed HT thread.
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/46258-yet-another-dedicated-home-theater-build.html

There are several more which are also very detailed and are must reads for anyone wanting to build one. I have some earmarked for a possible build in the future.

Super fantastic, almost a dream :)

On the other direction would anyone recommend sticking to existing Wharfedale only but change Center and add a another Sub?

Just an update

took a quick audition of Klipsch RF 26 Home Theatre Package, watched a couple of movie shots (conversations, bombs, gun fires, silent scenes) ... while the throw was great the overall sound was muddy (low frequencies mostly).

Played a Video song of Kailash Kher, vocal was crisp and decent level of staging. Atleast better than my existing setup.

There was almost no acoustic treatment in that Room except a full carpet.

Planning to travel Ahmedabad for audition next week, any auditioning spots? suggestions?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back