To Bangalore FMs: Do you have a REL sub integrated into your 2-Ch or HT system?

The sub (and a new pre/pwr chain) has given a new lease of life to bands I used to love when I was a younger man.
Yes once you integrate the Subwoofer in Stereo adequately, then there's no going back! Everything is never going to be the same again. Bass frequency provides a low reference point for ears and every other frequency sounds different with the subwoofer.

Visited @sound_cycle house today for listening to Magnepen and Rel Set up. It was pretty amazing experience with a quick response subwoofer which matched magnepen quite seamlessly... Hardly 10-15% sub volume level was used, but when you switch the sub off it's totally missed!

Oui!! No more going back to music without sub on.
The music chain is Lyrita Tube pre + AKSA pwr + KEFs & REL
The HT/casual-music chain is Parasound (pre+pwr) + Monitor Audio & REL

Level setting on sub is 10 clicks. For crossover I'm fiddling between 10 to 15 clicks.
10 when using high level for music chain, 15 when using lo level for HT.
As a compromise I have settled at 12 clicks for both chains.
Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Update:
REL T9i landed last evening.
Irony is I have to wait a few more days to even open it up :(
Just too busy with work.

Cheers,
Raghu
Hey,

Congratulations on your purchase.

I am a Rel fan and have had Q150e for a long time ( 15 years ) before it conked off a couple of years back. I am looking for T9i and have been checking stores in Bangalore for me to get it. Where did you get your from? And are there any one who can repair Rels? I would like to see if the Q150 can also be resurrected to setup two sub woofers.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Nainar

Hey,

Congratulations on your purchase.

I am a Rel fan and have had Q150e for a long time ( 15 years ) before it conked off a couple of years back. I am looking for T9i and have been checking stores in Bangalore for me to get it. Where did you get your from? And are there any one who can repair Rels? I would like to see if the Q150 can also be resurrected to setup two sub woofers.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Nainar
Put a search for "Dynox Bangalore" in Google.
Talk to Manjunath.
Cheers,
Raghu

Oui!! No more going back to music without sub on.
The music chain is Lyrita Tube pre + AKSA pwr + KEFs & REL
The HT/casual-music chain is Parasound (pre+pwr) + Monitor Audio & REL

Level setting on sub is 10 clicks. For crossover I'm fiddling between 10 to 15 clicks.
10 when using high level for music chain, 15 when using lo level for HT.
As a compromise I have settled at 12 clicks for both chains.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hi,
I am late to this party, but read through most posts and learned some useful tips on room resonance, standing waves, integration and more..... loved the “Ajinomoto“ comparison!
I have an old REL Q100E with KEF LS50...the pairing is fabulous. With the SW switched off it’s like “no ajinomoto“
I would urge anyone with bookshelf speakers to consider adding a good SW as a first step in the upgrade journey.
it was a revelation for me to discover quality low frequencies are felt (on the body, room pressure changes are felt) not just in my ears and in a way that doesnt seem separate from the rest of the music. I can never tell where the low freqs are coming from, (all around me) while the bookshelf speakers do their imaging magic in front of me. The combo makes the experience more....immersive (?)
my listening room is the hall 30x30’, with very little room treatment. The REL is in front of me at the left corner...2’ from the corner and 5 inches from the back wall. Crossover tuning and SW volume adjustments made little by little while listening till I was satisfied. Input using high level input with Neutrik connector.

Raghupb: hope Your experience with the RELT9i Is all that you expected?

<snip>

Raghupb: hope Your experience with the RELT9i Is all that you expected?

Oh yeah. It was quite a journey.
Research, opinions & counter-opinions, finding a dealer, then cajoling him for home audition.
Finally after getting T9i home and playing around with it, I've settled on a couple of configurations.
One for serious music listening, speakers pulled into the room, slight toe-in, yada, yada ...
The other for HT and background music while doing other stuff.
In both setups, T9i lives up to its promise.
In the main rig/chain, a sub with stand-mounts needs to be heard to be believed.

Cheers,
Raghu

Update/Tweak:
For the last 2 years, I've been using the hi-level connect with AKSA amp and KEFs.
The REL is tuned/dialed in for this combo. No complaints.
I do have another chain Parasound + MA Radius 45 (see sig). On this chain, the lo-level connect was being used.
Now the MA "pups" can only do 120Hz and above. They are really satellite speakers.
With this chain, I always felt something was missing on the LF, since the sub is set to tune off at about 60-65Hz.
On a whim, I tried the LFE/.1 input on the sub. As per REL's documentation (below), I think it takes it up to 120 Hz.

".1 Input: This requires a phono-to-phono cable and is a dedicated true .1 channel. This circuit therefore
eliminates the normal Natural RollOff™ Crossover and passes the .1 low-level signal through with only the
required 120Hz fourth-order filter."

I feel the sound is more full, without the gaping hole from 60 to 120Hz.
It made me pinch myself to remind me that the little guys are playing :)
The nice part is that I don't need to do a cable swap from hi-level to lo-level.
Everything can be done via front panel or remote control.
Yet to assess if there is a difference when watching video content.

Cheers,
Raghu

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back