Top 5 mistakes I have made as an audiophile

Am new to this How many speakers are good for music just 2 speakers are a surround 5.1 or 9.1etc..cause av receiver are we need a intergrated amplifier for a music setup

Am new to this How many speakers are good for music just 2 speakers are a surround 5.1 or 9.1etc..cause av receiver are we need a intergrated amplifier for a music setup
Might be a good idea to start a new thread to discuss this topic :)

Listening to colored sound is like, wearing sunglasses. At some part of the day it’s comforting but when it gets dark, you don’t see half of the things.
I don’t like the term coloured sound. I find it to be a catch-all elitist phrase weaponised to denigrate someone else’s taste in gear or music, especially someone having a good time listening to music instead of being a “good audiophile” who is searching for his next upgrade to give him that uncoloured sound (whatever that means). 😊

not just that.

the tone of any sound is defined by harmonics. the difference between a Guitar playing a tone at 100Hz and a Sitar doing the same in the same instant is in harmonics
1. you will have harmonics of 200, 300, 400, 500 etc
2. you will have sub harmonics of 50, 33.3 , 25, 20 etc

all of the frequencies are combined to form 1 wave which defines the tone of the voice

I have so far understood is as the complex wave being different to cause a difference in the tone ie 2 different speakers might produce the 100 Hz fundamentally exactly the same and as per specs but if the amplitude of the 2nd/3rd/4th change then the tone will be different but will still be called accurate. some components are "Pleasing and Musical" when the 2nd order /4th order are slightly accentuated and "harsh" when the 3rd/5th are. of course the harmonics are lower in amplitude as their order increases and keeps getting smaller till it does not matter.

Getting the tone "natural" and close to real is when the harmonics all play up well and the dry tone which measures accurate and " emotion" missing is when the harmonics perhaps dont quite add up to real.

Perhaps the way any component is measured is via sine waves at a frequency but I have not heard of any measurement which measures the Harmonic content and that used to be usually "By the ear". No idea how it is done now and happy to learn how it is actually done if anyone knows.

Of course all of the above is just for 1 pluck of 1 instrument at 100Hz at one instant. now add up all the frequencies that other instruments are playing at that time and you have one complex wave for just one instant to see what the speaker has to reproduce.
You are explaining subjective and I am talking objective

We are discussing only frequency response, but a more important parameter of phase is completely ignored. All speakers are playing 20hz to 20khz +/- 1 dB, then why do they sound different.
1. hardly few speakers play 20 to 20khz at +/- 1 db.
2. Two speakers which does the above right on axis can sound massively different if their directvities are different.
3. Like you said, phase difference between different drivers can result in poor integration when the sound reaches the listening spot. It sometimes is a good thing as we can seperately hear sounds with more seperation if their are out of phase.

not just that.

the tone of any sound is defined by harmonics. the difference between a Guitar playing a tone at 100Hz and a Sitar doing the same in the same instant is in harmonics
1. you will have harmonics of 200, 300, 400, 500 etc
2. you will have sub harmonics of 50, 33.3 , 25, 20 etc

all of the frequencies are combined to form 1 wave which defines the tone of the voice

I have so far understood is as the complex wave being different to cause a difference in the tone ie 2 different speakers might produce the 100 Hz fundamentally exactly the same and as per specs but if the amplitude of the 2nd/3rd/4th change then the tone will be different but will still be called accurate. some components are "Pleasing and Musical" when the 2nd order /4th order are slightly accentuated and "harsh" when the 3rd/5th are. of course the harmonics are lower in amplitude as their order increases and keeps getting smaller till it does not matter.

Getting the tone "natural" and close to real is when the harmonics all play up well and the dry tone which measures accurate and " emotion" missing is when the harmonics perhaps dont quite add up to real.

Perhaps the way any component is measured is via sine waves at a frequency but I have not heard of any measurement which measures the Harmonic content and that used to be usually "By the ear". No idea how it is done now and happy to learn how it is actually done if anyone knows.

Of course all of the above is just for 1 pluck of 1 instrument at 100Hz at one instant. now add up all the frequencies that other instruments are playing at that time and you have one complex wave for just one instant to see what the speaker has to reproduce.
Excellent explanation...thanks :)

Just goes to explain why a flat measuring speaker is not the end all of audio. Troelsgravesen adds that we can change a high quality capacitor in the crossover with a lower quality capacitor of the exact same specs. And the speaker will still measure exactly the same, but will sound different. As per him, it is impossible to judge a speaker by its measurements alone, though they tell you a part of the story, but its not the whole, by which a speaker should be judged.

To those who believe albums like 'Rumours,' 'Gaucho,' or even Dylan's albums represent what instruments truly sound like...

the closest I have come to experiencing true instrument representation is through full-range speakers.

This deviation is exactly what the doctor ordered. We are into page 3, and Iam with my helmet on, bat in hand 🤣

1. hardly few speakers play 20 to 20khz at +/- 1 db.
2. Two speakers which does the above right on axis can sound massively different if their directvities are different.
3. Like you said, phase difference between different drivers can result in poor integration when the sound reaches the listening spot. It sometimes is a good thing as we can seperately hear sounds with more seperation if their are out of phase.
popcorn2.jpg

Back