Top 75 RD Burman Hindi Albums

Some time back I had asked in a music WhatsApp group for RD favouries.
This is compilation of what I had got from different members.
Listed in alphabetical order again.

1942 a love story
Aandhi
Aap Ki Kasam
Agar Tum Na Hote
Alag Alag
Amar Prem
Anamika
Apne Apne
Baharon Ke Sapne
Bandhe Hath
Basera
Bemisal
Benaam
Betaab
Biwi O Biwi
Buddha Mil Gaya
Chor Police
Dil Padosi Hai
Doosri Sita
Double Cross
Ghar
Gomti Ke Kinare
Goonj
Ham Kisise Kam Nahin
Hare Rama Hare Krishna
Hifazat
Ijazat
Jail Yatra
Jawani Diwani
Jeeva
Jeevan Mukti
Kati Patang
Khushboo
Kinara
Kudrat
Love Story
Lovers
Madhosh
Masoom
Mela
Mukti
Namak Haram
Namkeen
Padosan
Parichay
Parinda
Red Rose
Romance
Sagar
Samundar
Satte Pe Satta
Savera
Savere Wali Gaadi
Sholay
Tadap
Teesri Manzil
Teri Kasam
The Train
Yadon Ki Baraat
Yeh Wada Raha
Zameen Aasman

There are some 20 odd titles in Naturelover list which don’t appear in mine. So that will further help a member to compile their own list of favourites

Some time back I had asked in a music WhatsApp group for RD favouries.
This is compilation of what I had got from different members.
Listed in alphabetical order again.

1942 a love story
Aandhi
Aap Ki Kasam
Agar Tum Na Hote
Alag Alag
Amar Prem
Anamika
Apne Apne
Baharon Ke Sapne
Bandhe Hath
Basera
Bemisal
Benaam
Betaab
Biwi O Biwi
Buddha Mil Gaya
Chor Police
Dil Padosi Hai
Doosri Sita
Double Cross
Ghar
Gomti Ke Kinare
Goonj
Ham Kisise Kam Nahin
Hare Rama Hare Krishna
Hifazat
Ijazat
Jail Yatra
Jawani Diwani
Jeeva
Jeevan Mukti
Kati Patang
Khushboo
Kinara
Kudrat
Love Story
Lovers
Madhosh
Masoom
Mela
Mukti
Namak Haram
Namkeen
Padosan
Parichay
Parinda
Red Rose
Romance
Sagar
Samundar
Satte Pe Satta
Savera
Savere Wali Gaadi
Sholay
Tadap
Teesri Manzil
Teri Kasam
The Train
Yadon Ki Baraat
Yeh Wada Raha
Zameen Aasman
I have bande hath EP but I do not know if it was released on LP. I have the same question about khoosboo . Was it released on LP?

Besides all those creations of RD there are some movie songs which are not made by the maestro yet to me those are influenced by him. One such example is 1979 film Aaj ki Radha whose sound tracks though directed by swapan chakraborty are very much of RD's. There are a bengali movie song which has that unforgetable touch of pancham .

Sapan gave music for Zameer which has 3 very good tracks. Ditto Basu Manohari gave the music for Sabse Bada Rupaiya which has some very good songs. Both the soundtracks have the RD influence

Souravin, the RD boss of this forum, and I spent two weeks putting together what we consider is RD Burman’s top 75 Hindi albums. In the 75, there is 1 non film album too. There were a lot of discussions and lots of to and fro before we could come up with the final list.

Below is our top 75 RD Hindi albums

1942 A Love Story
Aa Gale Lag Ja
Aandhi
Aap Ki Kasam
Apna Desh
Ali Baba aur 40 Chor
Ajnabee
Amar Prem
Anamika
Bade Dilwala
Baharon Ke Sapne
Bombay To Goa
Baseraa
Bemisaal
Buddha Mil Gaya
Caravan
Dil Padosi Hai
Darling Darling
Do Chor
Duniya
Ghar
Ghungroo Ki Awaaz
Gol Maal
Gomti Ke Kinare
Hare Rama Hare Krishna
Harjaee
Heera Panna
Hum Kissise Kum Nahin
Humshakal
Ijazzat
Jawani Diwani
Joshila
Jurmana
Kasme Vaade
Kati Patang
Kaalia
Kher Khel Mein
Kushboo
Kinara
Kudrat
Libaas
Love Story
Manzil
Masoom
Mehbooba
Mela
Mere Jeevan Saathi
Namak Haram
Namkeen
Padosan
Paraya Dhan
Parichay
Parinda
Pukar
Pyar Ka Mausam
Raampur Ka Lakshman
Raja Rani
Rocky
Saagar
Sanam Teri Kasam
Satte Pe Satta
Seeta Aur Geeta
Shaan
Shakti
Shalimar
Sholay
Sitamgar
Sitara
Teesri Manzil
The Burning Train
The Great Gambier
The Train
Yaadon Ki Baraat
Yeh Vada Raha
Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai
Prem, i think you have forgotten Baarsat ki ek raat whose music was created by pancham. It was a double version movie. Baarsat ki ek raat appeared in my vernacular Bengali as Anusandhan and it's music was made by pancham. Amitabh Bachchan had done two bengali movies and Anusandhan was one of them and in another movie Amitabh had a cameo with the late lamented thespian Samit Bhanja in the lead role.
Regards

We considered it but finally dropped it as all songs seems to be influenced by his previous albums. There was nothing fresh

Sapan gave music for Zameer which has 3 very good tracks. Ditto Basu Manohari gave the music for Sabse Bada Rupaiya which has some very good songs. Both the soundtracks have the RD influence
Yes, phoolon ke dher is a nice song of Zameer movie. It's LP has become a rare one these days.
Regards

My personal favourite Albums as follow below , in which, atleast 3 songs I like very much in each album. (I didn't add the albums, in which only one song is fantastic in each album) :

Aandhi
Caravan
Ghar
Hare Rama Hare Krishna
Jawani Diwani
Kati Patang
Kinara
Kudrat
Manzil
Mehbooba
Pyar Ka Mousam
Sholay
The Burning Train
The Train
Yadon Ki Baraat &
Lakhon Mein Ek.

Thank you Prem for taking this initiative to post musically best OSTs. Thank you for reaching out to me- it's an honor.

We have carefully narrowed down from 292 films OSTs to 75. My heart was bleeding however I kept my emotion away. I feel for a hardcore Pancham lover, it's very difficult to rule out a few OSTs which common listeners may like after a few rounds of listening. That's subjective.

Still we have done it.

Souravin the pleasure was all mine. Please list titles that a true hardcore RD fan would love. As you rightly said they may not be massy but who knows over a period of time there may be a few converts :)

As per Wiki, RD has 233 Hindi releases.
IMDB lists the 320 movies he composed for. The database doesn’t have a way to filter by language (what a shame and limitation!). As per Wikipedia 292 of his 331 films were in Hindi. That @prem and @souravin found it so difficult to leave out albums from their list even after extending it to 75 underlines how good RD’s overall work was!

Musically rich, vastly popular and still fresh, we so regularly listen to RD’s songs deliberately (physical media) or inadvertently (radio or streaming), that it is a bigger joy now to come across, or comb for his less popular works. For example, his first movie as an independent music director, ‘Chhote Nawab’ with the lovely ‘Ghar aaja ghir aaye badra’. While I also enjoy listening to RD’s modernistic tunes and orchestrations, I am biased towards his classically based songs from earlier years. His hold on classical was next to one - not surprisingly for an infant who even cried in the adhal/atal swar ’Pa’ (hearing which Dada muni nicknamed him Pancham).

To me, RD’s calling card remains ‘Aandhi’. Simply can’t get over this album (and film) ever. Also, while discussing RD, it’d be unfair not to mention Gulzar and Kishore - what a team RGK were! And then there’s the RD-Asha combo and their westernised songs. RD’s works can be researched in various ways and his collaborations (with lyricists, singers and film directors) could be an interesting one.

Attachments

• IMG_8176.jpeg
    IMG_8176.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
One of RD’s very different (hatke) and perhaps least heard works is, ‘Chatran (Real life adventures of a Cat)’ - an ambient album that’s mostly the background score broken up into songs with instrumentation and cat meows, punctuated by commentary by Gulzar and some lines sung by Asha Bhosle.

Last edited:
One of RD’s very different (hatke) and perhaps least heard works is, ‘Chatran (Real life adventures of a Cat)’ - an ambient album that’s mostly the background score broken up into songs with instrumentation and cat meows, punctuated by commentary by Gulzar and some lines sung by Asha Bhosle.

A Gulzar RD combo. Released in cassette and later by Venus on digital media

Souravin the pleasure was all mine. Please list titles that a true hardcore RD fan would love. As you rightly said they may not be massy but who knows over a period of time there may be a few converts :)
Prem, in the light of the other threads you started, perhaps it's time now to compile the Top 25 or 50 or 75 across all music directors - a kind of best of the best!

I will first try and create top albums of SD Burman, Roshan, OP Nayyar, Kalyanji Anandji, Ravi, Naushad. Then the newer lot. Nadeem Shravan, Anu Malik, Shankar Ehsaan Loy, AR Rahman, etc

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back