Top 75 RD Burman Hindi Albums

Thanks @prem for this humongous effort to consolidate the list for all music directors. Someone like me can explore the unknowns.

Souravin, I just created a Salil Chowdhury list. It’s already posted

Bappi Lahiri, why don’t you make a list and post?

Souravin, the RD boss of this forum, and I spent two weeks putting together what we consider is RD Burman’s top 75 Hindi albums. In the 75, there is 1 non film album too. There were a lot of discussions and lots of to and fro before we could come up with the final list.

Below is our top 75 RD Hindi albums

1942 A Love Story
Aa Gale Lag Ja
Aandhi
Aap Ki Kasam
Apna Desh
Ali Baba aur 40 Chor
Ajnabee
Amar Prem
Anamika
Bade Dilwala
Baharon Ke Sapne
Bombay To Goa
Baseraa
Bemisaal
Buddha Mil Gaya
Caravan
Dil Padosi Hai
Darling Darling
Do Chor
Duniya
Ghar
Ghungroo Ki Awaaz
Gol Maal
Gomti Ke Kinare
Hare Rama Hare Krishna
Harjaee
Heera Panna
Hum Kissise Kum Nahin
Humshakal
Ijazzat
Jawani Diwani
Joshila
Jurmana
Kasme Vaade
Kati Patang
Kaalia
Kher Khel Mein
Kushboo
Kinara
Kudrat
Libaas
Love Story
Manzil
Masoom
Mehbooba
Mela
Mere Jeevan Saathi
Namak Haram
Namkeen
Padosan
Paraya Dhan
Parichay
Parinda
Pukar
Pyar Ka Mausam
Raampur Ka Lakshman
Raja Rani
Rocky
Saagar
Sanam Teri Kasam
Satte Pe Satta
Seeta Aur Geeta
Shaan
Shakti
Shalimar
Sholay
Sitamgar
Sitara
Teesri Manzil
The Burning Train
The Great Gambier
The Train
Yaadon Ki Baraat
Yeh Vada Raha
Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai

It would be nice to know your reasoning behind some of these choices.

The list is so large and in alphabetical order so it lacks any real defining statement.

A countdown to No.1 with a smaller selection would have been exciting to read.

In one of the posts you can see my top 10. Naturally any list is going to be subjective.

The idea of the thread was to open a discussion. Nothing beyond that. In the discussion I felt people might discover some interesting titles that they were not exposed to.

I don’t own all of the titles in the 75 list. For example I don’t own Kaalia. From that period I prefer Khuddar and Laawaris to it.

Similarly I own titles like Samadhi, Manoranjan, Jheel Ke Us Pasr, Jaise Ko Taisa, etc which are not in the list.

In one of the posts you can see my top 10. Naturally any list is going to be subjective.

The idea of the thread was to open a discussion. Nothing beyond that. In the discussion I felt people might discover some interesting titles that they were not exposed to.

I don’t own all of the titles in the 75 list. For example I don’t own Kaalia. From that period I prefer Khuddar and Laawaris to it.

Similarly I own titles like Samadhi, Manoranjan, Jheel Ke Us Pasr, Jaise Ko Taisa, etc which are not in the list.

I observe that with RD, he has many albums with a few cracking songs, yet the entire album can be a slightly mixed bag.

The 75 list I felt missed out a lot of RD’s greatest songs.

For example the albums Parchhaiyan or Panch Dushman have intricate and richer songs than many of the albums listed above, even if the whole soundtrack wasn’t great.

The 75 has in my own opinion, a lot of ordinary music there. If someone didn’t know anything about RD Burman, I wouldn’t present them these ‘top albums’ as I don’t believe it reflects RD’s best music.

I have 5 Dushmun. A couple of songs are fine. I wouldn’t rate it as a great album. My favourite is Jeena To Hai. But then we all have our preferences. :)

Pl do list your top 10 or 20.

Last edited:
I have 5 Dushmun. A couple of songs are fine. I wouldn’t rate it as a great album. My favourite is Jeena To Hai. But then we all have our preferences. :)

Pl do list your top 10 or 20.

I’d probably like to do that on a separate thread as it nesscitates descriptions of why I chose that album to be included in a list. Pictures of the records plus a few choice songs from each.

It’s interesting however that there has been no mention of what album many RD aficionados consider to be the No.1 gem.

If Souravin, the ‘RD authority’ on this forum has not included/mentioned it, that is extremely surprising considering it’s musical value.

It appears as though the list of 75 isn’t as genuine as it may seem.

There can never be a definitive 75. What you consider a gem may not appeal to me and vice versa.

Souravin was actively involved in putting together the list.

I am curious to know what is considered by RD fans as his number 1 album

Would love to see your list and learn about some soundtracks that have been missed.

There can never be a definitive 75. What you consider a gem may not appeal to me and vice versa.

Souravin was actively involved in putting together the list.

I am curious to know what is considered by RD fans as his number 1 album

Would love to see your list and learn about some soundtracks that have been missed.

Souravin knows the No.1.

If you are reading this, and are not able to work it out, then ask Souravin why he kept it hidden?

Why are average scores like Sholay and Do Chor on a list but the No.1 isn’t even mentioned as part of a 75 list?

The No.1 has had its beauty locked up and and veiled by Souravin. He doesn’t want anyone else to see what he sees.

For this thread, and this list of 75, I am resolute in stating that it’s invalid and defunct as the truth has not been told here in it’s entirety.

Am I going to reveal the No.1? No.

We cannot blame Souravin, he also cannot bear to reveal its beauty.

However he must be discredited as the ‘RD fan’ and his co-authored list of RD albums be taken with extreme caution.

What rubbish Bhim. Who the hell are you guys to decide what’s No 1 and call it the truth? To me Aandhi could be my number 1. To someone else it could be Amar Prem. To some it could be Bhoot Bangla. Learn to respect other people’s tastes. If you can’t contribute stop commenting. Everybody has their own preferences. If this list doesn’t work for you, start your own list.

You have no right to discredit someone.

This is a forum where we maintain civility and don’t go around discrediting.

Most of the times a few just create a huge hype around an album when it’s not warranted. I sometimes feel it’s just to raise the prices of that album.

As it is the collectors have created this huge hype of first press Angel and Ring Odeon. I have first and second presses of most albums. In most cases second presses are as good.

Last edited:
What rubbish Bhim. Who the hell are you guys to decide what’s No 1 and call it the truth? To me Aandhi could be my number 1. To someone else it could be Amar Prem. To some it could be Bhoot Bangla. Learn to respect other people’s tastes. If you can’t contribute stop commenting. Everybody has their own preferences. If this list doesn’t work for you, start your own list.

You have no right to discredit someone.

This is a forum where we maintain civility and don’t go around discrediting.

Most of the times a few just create a huge hype around an album when it’s not warranted. I sometimes feel it’s just to raise the prices of that album.

As it is the collectors have created this huge hype of first press Angel and Ring Odeon. I have first and second presses of most albums. In most cases second presses are as good.

The best musical album is subjective according to taste.

The No.1 is created as such when all objective parameters are analysed and compared to determine which albums scores highly on defining factors of quality.

The No.1 is not mine or Souravin’s choice. The No.1 creates its own position.

The fact the 75 list didn’t even mention the No.1 proves that we need to investigate the rationale behind the inclusions.

I could make a list of top 10 myself. However to reveal the No.1 would mean sharing valuable knowledge, and for that I would require remuneration.

That is why we cannot blame or censure Souravin. He is withholding information for his own benefit, and needs to look after himself before others first.

I am throughly certain though that a new ‘top-fan’ of RD should be elected on this forum.

Which albums do you feel have had ‘a huge hype’ created around them?

I would like to know immediately what prompted that thought plus a discussion point about first/second presses?

You need to paid to reveal your top 10. Wow. What are you? A mercenary?

You need to paid to reveal your top 10. Wow. What are you? A mercenary?

Considering my extensive knowledge and experience within HFM, I expect remuneration for my expertise.

If an individual wishes to obtain some of the vast knowledge I possess, they must provisionally agree to provide a charitable donation (with proof of receipt) to;

Doctors Without Borders, a US charity that aims to serve some of the world’s most impoverished citizens with free life saving healthcare.

I like to give good knowledge for a good cause. Isn’t that something you want to see Prem? Or not?

I would be delighted for you to prove yourself by initiating a charitable $55 donation to Doctors Without Borders. In exchange you get free knowledge from an expert as myself, which would in turn make your forum posts more accurate and clear!

If I wish to know anything about Hindi film music, I have the access. Probably way way more than any person in this forum.

I work very closely with producers and directors who have worked with the likes of RD, LP, etc. I also know musicians who have played for a number of music directors. I am in fact in the process of producing a biopic on one of them.

As we chat, there is a book being written on the evolution of HMV in India. I work very closely with the author of that book. She’s writing a script for me.

So as you can see, access is the least of my issues.

What I don’t appreciate is your cockiness and your dismissive attitude of others.

This list was made keeping in mind many attributes for any music lover who is not a Pancham da fanatic and may get an exposure for the 1st time to a few albums. There are many OSTs which are very close to any hardcore Pancham da fanatic like Madhosh, Naya Daur, Double Cross and many more which a generic listener may not like at all.

And for me there is no number 1 album for R.D.Burman. Every time I listen to any of his album , something new grows on me. Anyway, this forum is to discuss audio and music and I'm sure no member is looking for an best forum member award. The idea is exchange and gain more love towards audio and music.

Bhim Bhai, on a separate note, you have opened my eyes. Wish I had met you 15 years back when I joined the forum. Imagine the money I could have made for sharing my views and opinions. With all that money I could have owned a better system and many more first press vinyls.

Hail Bhim Bhai, our saviour

I wondered that, some very beautiful songs were never be shared or discussed. For an example: In Jawani Diwani: 'Agar Saaz Cheda' by Kishore & Asha. What a beautiful song!

@Bhim Bhai
This is a public forum where all of us have come together for the love of music and movies.
There is sharing of views, experience and knowledge.
The idea is to learn from others and share your knowledge with others so everyone gains.
There is no feeling of competition or who knows best.
In the process we have all developed great friendships, irrespective of whether we have met or not.

There are many here who know a lot but they never try to put others down.
Quite the opposite, they share their knowledge and help others in their quest for improvement.

We are all friends here, even if not one to one.
It would be in the best interest of the group, and of your own, to be here with the same warmth towards other members.
Putting others down and not willingly sharing knowledge will not lead any of us anywhere.
It merely creates ill feeling and barriers.

Mods could very well throw the rule book at you here.
But that is done as a last resort.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back