Topping D90 vs SMSL M400

shyamv

Hi,

Any owners of either of these DACs? Both have similar specs with identical AK4499 DACs and have been well reviewed in terms of subjective listening as well as measurements.

Looking forward to inputs on sound signature, amp/pre-amp/speaker matching etc.

Thanks,
Shyam.

Well, I came across this review from Thomas & Stereo as soon as I posted this query. He addresses the comparison between the two to some extent. In summary, Topping D90 is detailed and can sound clinical and SMSL M400 is more warmer of the two.

Topping D90

SMSL M 400

Read here detailed test measurements and reviews:

and

I guess it will boil down to which one is .ore easily available in India. Both are quite evenly matched as per the YouTube reviews.

MaSh

Read here detailed test measurements and reviews:

and

Thanks for the same. I saw these as well. Honestly, I don't place too much faith in measurements. Most of these tests point out deficiencies which are beyond the hearing abilities of normal people or beyond the level of resolution of the equipment I own. I also find that good measurements doesn't translate to good sound and more importantly, bad measurements doesn't mean bad sound.

Nothing can beat subjective listening in my opinion.

I guess it will boil down to which one is .ore easily available in India. Both are quite evenly matched as per the YouTube reviews.

MaSh
Yes. They seem evenly matched but SMSL M400 with a more warmish presentation might be more to my liking. As of now, only Topping D90 is available in India via Headphone Zone. I contacted a couple of Chinese retailers and none of them is willing to ship to India for now.

Yes. They seem evenly matched but SMSL M400 with a more warmish presentation might be more to my liking. As of now, only Topping D90 is available in India via Headphone Zone. I contacted a couple of Chinese retailers and none of them is willing to ship to India for now.
Yes, Chinese imports are all Off. No point even thinking of importing anything. Look for what is available locally. Topping dacs are flying off the HPZ shelves.

There was a D90 on sale in the classifieds section. You may want to check it out.

MaSh

The Topping D90 is a great pairing with a warm chain. It is a good pairing with a neutral chain if your taste is towards wanting a very resolving and detailed presentation. Please note that not being warm does not mean it is fatiguing nor does it have any discernible digital glare.

IF you're only looking for a DAC (without Pre. Etc.) its also worth looking at R2R DENAFRIPS ARES-II ( https://www.denafrips.com/ares ) as I heard many good reviews and I for one looking to get one in the coming days..

Few reviews links below, from good reviewers I like:

Topping Vs Aries-II

only caveat is, can't listen before making the decision, as its direct sales from HK, for cost cutting by eliminating dealers in the middle.

Good Luck with your search.

deleted the post. reason: redundant (as the OP has already stated both DACs measure equally)

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back