Topping VX1 DAC/headphone/sub T amp

rpanand25

I came across Topping VX1 in Amazon.com.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TOPPING VX1 225W T-AMP Tripath Stereo Hi-Fi Power Subwoofer Amplifier USB DAC US Digital Amplifier

Although i searched the forum i could not get any feedback on it. I know we have a very long thread on Topping TA 2020 but i thought that given the USB/DAC the sound signature would be different and a separate thread may be justified.
I am interested in it as i thought the price differential of about US$ 30-35over TP2020 in amazon was worth it. I would be getting it from US if i am satisfied after feedback from members. The speaker to drive it would be sourced from india after trying it with my 87 vintage 3 way 8 ohm towers with all Philips drivers.
The details of op amp and USB controller of Burr-Brown make are given in the link. Tripaths TA2024B chipset is used.
any opinion?

Last edited:
Hi rpanand25, I see the title as HiFi Power Subwoofer Amplifier. But if u see the pics in the link there is only a single RCA output and no subwoofer pre-out how will we connect a subwoofer to this?
I'm currently using the Topping TP 21 powering a pair of Q Acoustics 2020i bookshelfs. I do miss the low end in this setup and currently on the lookout for amp with sub pre-out.
I came across the onkyo tx8020 and moving towards buying this and then came across this little amp while browsing through the forum.
Can any of the forum me members help clear this doubt. Thanks.

Hi there,
I have reproduced some question and answer which is available on the link itself which should clear your doubt.

Customer Questions & Answers

Q: Perhaps a foolish question, but: this is described as a subwoofer amp. What is the subwoofer feature? The headphone out?
A:
Yes that would be the only way to connect a subwoofer.

Q: Can you use both the headphone and amp output at the same time? Or does the headphone defeat the speaker output?
A:
Yes, it has three modes - amp only, headphone only or both. You toggle between them by pressing the mode button and the LEDs light up accordingly.

Q: Is this compatible with Mac OS X ?
A:
If your mac has a line out, the Topping has a line in.

But my doubt is since it is an headphone out socket we can connect an active/powered sub. But the title says it is an subwoofer amplifier implying that we can connect a passive sub i,e, topping functions as a subwoofer amplifier which appears to be incorrect.
Let us see if some forum member responds

If it is possible to use the headphone out as subwoofer pre-out in this amp then the same can be applied to the Topping TP21 as well?
Anyone can clarify?
Thanks

Topping TP20 has 1186 replies but VX1 which is a relatively advanced model has no reply?:sad::sad::sad:

Come on FMs. open up please

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back