Torrents discussions are prohibited in Hifivision

madbullram

Hi all,
Discussion on torrents are prohibited henceforth in our forums. Any discussions on torrents or illegal downloads will result in instant infractions. Please refrain posting on these topics or replying to it.

Lets keep this forum clean. Thanks for the understanding, the rules section has been updated to reflect this.

Regards,
MBR

Hi all,
Discussion on torrents are prohibited henceforth in our forums. Any discussions on torrents or illegal downloads will result in instant infractions. Please refrain posting on these topics or replying to it.

Lets keep this forum clean. Thanks for the understanding, the rules section has been updated to reflect this.

Regards,
MBR

Yo bro......sorry!!!:eek:

Off topic - I am quite amazed at the products being launched like xtreamer. Aren't they clearly aimed at playing illegal content? If I can not legally decrypt a dvd/ blu-ray for backup - how on earth would I find ANY content for these players, except the illegal ones being downloaded?

Off topic - I am quite amazed at the products being launched like xtreamer. Aren't they clearly aimed at playing illegal content? If I can not legally decrypt a dvd/ blu-ray for backup - how on earth would I find ANY content for these players, except the illegal ones being downloaded?

Yo bro........you are right!!:D

The story is like this, buy an Xtreamer and an HD cam, shoot the movie yourself which can be copied to the HDD i guess and watch only those.

cheers.

Last edited:
A lot of Linux distrubutions are available via torrents (and legal).

Well, you can use Xtreamer to play HD game and movie trailers. They are *legal* :D

I'm in the process of ripping my own DvD & CD collection. (I'm sure this is not illegal). I play these using the WDTV as the source for my bedroom setup. It's convenient and takes up less space. The same HDD will store all my photos & video clips.

In my main setup I still retain the option of playing the original discs or carry the WDTV there.

So that's one way to use these media players.

With an Xtreamer one could also play content from the web. So yes, there are ways to use such hardware with legal content.

Thanks for implementing this MBR. It should pave methods for cleaner ways.

I'm in the process of ripping my own DvD & CD collection. (I'm sure this is not illegal). I play these using the WDTV as the source for my bedroom setup. It's convenient and takes up less space. The same HDD will store all my photos & video clips.

In my main setup I still retain the option of playing the original discs or carry the WDTV there.

So that's one way to use these media players.

With an Xtreamer one could also play content from the web. So yes, there are ways to use such hardware with legal content.

Well according to the US laws it's legal, However not according to UK. Not sure about in India, although don't we follow UK one's mostly?

Well according to the US laws it's legal, However not according to UK. Not sure about in India, although don't we follow UK one's mostly?

Hi,

That's right, ripping for personal use is legal, but ripping and distributing is illegal. All in all anywhere in the world making profit out of ripping is illegal.

cheers.

Hi,

That's right, ripping for personal use is legal, but ripping and distributing is illegal. All in all anywhere in the world making profit out of ripping is illegal.

cheers.

But I've read somewhere that even ripping is illegal as you're breaking the copyright protection. God know what is Indian copyright law.

But I've read somewhere that even ripping is illegal as you're breaking the copyright protection. God know what is Indian copyright law.

you can make an exact replica of the dvd, without removing the protections, wont that work. the data is still encrypted and your dvd player will decrypt it. Never tried it though.

you can make an exact replica of the dvd, without removing the protections, wont that work. the data is still encrypted and your dvd player will decrypt it. Never tried it though.

Thats quite true, however, this may again considered as illegal, as the DVDs/Blu-rays often include false information to trick the rippers or even computer DVD drives from reading them. Hence any means used to overcome such protection is also illegal.

The question of copyrights/copy protection is a hot debatable topic, as what is legal and illegal is quite confusing. For example, you purchased a DVD and you lent it to your sibilings, wont that be illegal? How about renting a DVD, that's also illegal, as far as what the copyright messages speak, unless such companies purchase the discs at a much higher costs and pay a regular royality to the production house. You could also have an 'N' number of people watching a single DVD you bought - is that not illegal, as far as the copyright warnings speak? How about someone else singing a movie song?

There would be numerous arguments to this.

I would say, these are gimmicks to trick the common man.:eek:hyeah:

Few valid points, so I am adding these to it.

1. Legal Torrents will be allowed, only if a clear indication of why they are legal is pasted and reference is given for verification. If this is violated, it will attract highest infraction and possible suspension as you are wasting moderators time.

2. legal downloads are allowed, only illegal downloads are not allowed.

3. Ripping your own disk for your personal use and discussion around that are perfectly safe and we don't have a problem with it as long as its an original disk bought by you

Hope it clarifies our thoughts, as always we are open to discussion around anything legal.

Few valid points, so I am adding these to it.

1. Legal Torrents will be allowed, only if a clear indication of why they are legal is pasted and reference is given for verification. If this is violated, it will attract highest infraction and possible suspension as you are wasting moderators time.

what kind of reference are we talking about here. shouldnt it be the other way around, if a torrent info given as legal and then proven to be an illegal one will attract a ban. just because I dont post proof of legality of a torrent shouldnt attract a ban.
what about the obvious cases, a windows 7 torrent is illegal, actually this is also debatable, if I do have a windows 7 genuine license and I am just downloading the media because I lost the cd, this wouldnt be illegal would it. A grateful dead live show torrent is always legal...

reference to prove this is Legal, if you cant than it not allowed. For example, windows HD video downloads are legal bcos Microsoft have clearly stated that as free

what kind of reference are we talking about here. shouldnt it be the other way around, if a torrent info given as legal and then proven to be an illegal one will attract a ban. just because I dont post proof of legality of a torrent shouldnt attract a ban.
what about the obvious cases, a windows 7 torrent is illegal, actually this is also debatable, if I do have a windows 7 genuine license and I am just downloading the media because I lost the cd, this wouldnt be illegal would it. A grateful dead live show torrent is always legal...

You may show by giving the associated license with the torrent you provide.
For example any GNU/GPL program is always legal.
For media, Creative Commons License clause with the media can prove its legality.
Also stuff in public domain, for promotion of products can be legal (Example trailers, Reviews of products etc). However, stuff like music videos are not. Its a bit hazy, best to ask Mods before posting something for which you have some doubts on.

I respect HifiV decision...

but i feel sometimes we ban things that are practically there
because there is need and alternate legal mechanisms are way too costly or not thought of..

for example some people suddenly ban plastic carry bags..
but many people praise such actions but the need gap cant be fulfilled alternatively and the thing continues...

However illegal torrent discussions banning may make this clean atleast,so it is a welcome move!
How-to kind of discussions should be allowed like how to 'rip dvd' unless it points to specific material/cracking or violating protection

It is legal in INDIA to make ONE copy of the original for one's own use.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back