Totally disappointed with LCD

OP, composite and component cables have been explained by me in this thread.

I am getting concerned that you are using the TV in a completely wrong way. Most of the settings are available in the remote. Please study the manual thoroughly.

I would suggest you borrow a good DVD Player or a Blu-Ray player from someone, and connect it to the TV through HDMI. Once that plays well and you are able to read the credit lines, you can heave a sigh of relief, and then experiment with other sources.

Cheers

Hello Venkat

Our friend should get a "pro" to get his system organized since he is not in tune with things to get the max mileage out of his system. Good luck!!

Cheers

I am getting concerned that you are using the TV in a completely wrong way.

In what way do you mean?:sad:

I am only using it to view films and Tata Sky. And in films, I do care for the end-credits being clear and sharply visible, since I just like to see them, the artistes, technicians names etc It's just an interest. But apart from that a white shadow/reflection or ghost on any written word elsewhere on the screen (say in the beg titles or subtitles) is irritating

I have got a Pioneer DV220KVK player and HDMI cables affixed.

Hello Venkat

Our friend should get a "pro" to get his system organized since he is not in tune with things to get the max mileage out of his system. Good luck!!

Cheers

Sab welcome hai bhai :D

I wish I can get it up to my desired level nahi toh yeh itni badi cheez khatakti rahegi throughout. :sad:

I am only using it to view films and Tata Sky. And in films, I do care for the end-credits being clear and sharply visible, since I just like to see them, the artistes, technicians names etc It's just an interest. But apart from that a white shadow/reflection or ghost on any written word elsewhere on the screen (say in the beg titles or subtitles) is irritating

i had similar issues with my 50 incher and tatasky composite signal,then i switched to bigtv with component output and now much better for sd viewing

BTW ... a VCD still looks crap!

Sad, since most movies I don't intend or want to buy DVDs (due to the cost).

I am at my wit's end trying to assuage myself as to why did I ever go for this crappy television if I have to limit myself so much.

Oh...I tried another DVD too ( it's such a pain 'trying' out various DVD's since most carry those 'non-forwadable' advts!!!) - and that was as bad as ever :(

What do i set the DVD player's resolution to? 1920*1080p or 1920*1080i or lesser?

Sorry for sounding like a cranky child, but ... but... but...

Deepak,
Dont loose hope!
From what I figure from your write ups. Looks like the LCD is having an issue! I may be wrong! Nevertheless..
The dealer usually gets to be dodgy when you go back with issues asking him to change the unit. If things dont work out,
The next step is to write to Sony directly or get in touch with touch with whoever is heading sales in Mumbai. You will notice things happening!
All the Best! Do let us know of the result

Thanks Johny747 for the kind words. Needed them. Feeling damn low and depressed.

The Sony guys were here a few minutes back. They said this is the best, and nothing wrong with the TV. Get a Tata Sky HD connection ( no issues if you don't get to see your favorite channels since Tata Sky doesn't have them on HD)... Oh yes, the HDMI- DVDp (which I bought today alongwith HDMI cables) will work, but don't buy any Moser Baer or such DVD's ( too bad that most Hindi film titles are there with them, they should have checked with Sony before aquiring the rights. They were delighted to see 2012 movie's DVD - it's only later I saw that it was released on...you guessed it! - Sony !!! ). VCD's are out of question. And yes, get a blue-ray player. And hmmm, see that in a smaller size ( shown in PIP mode) it's looking so clear. After you have constricted yourself, enjoy this monolithic giant. Fool to buy a 40-incher giant.

Now that they have declared that the problem is not with the set but it works best only with the limited equipment ( blue-ray or Sony DVD's) , I am at my wits end as to further recourse!

l can't exactly know what you mean buy that you mean reflection or ghost but does it appear like this
42sl8000dedouble.jpg

In what way do you mean?:sad: But apart from that a white shadow/reflection or ghost on any written word elsewhere on the screen (say in the beg titles or subtitles) is irritating

The 220 is a good player. Use a original disc and see how it plays.

Shadow/reflection of written words should never come. The letters should be crystal clear and sharply focussed. If this were a projector, I would say it was out of focus. But I certainly do not understand how this is happening in a TV. Get the technician to come and set your TV properly.

Cheers

Please check the cables before rushing to any decisions. Even a normal SD signal would be upscaled through HDMI !! As Venkat says focus should never be a problem "unless the TV is a one off".

Good luck to sort out your problems. Always use either component (analogue, so limited) or HDMI to get the max out out of the TV.

Cheers

Last edited:
i had this reflections/ghost (similar to adder's pic ) with TS composite signal on my 50 incher ,when i watch cricket there was a ghost behind every player unless it is a close up shot. not used to watching credits roll so i dont remember how was the text, but the PQ was quite bad
TS guys insisted it was TV's problem and finally it went away after i switched to bigtv with component output

Anyway for watching SD content (dth/cable/vcd/dvd) a 29" CRT is the best solution. Large screens are for HD viewing

After spending 60K on LCD, am totally disappointed.

Bought Sony 40 Inches.

Clarity is hardly there...it's hazy, the letters are always double/hazy/blurred... reading the end-credits or any credits on a film has become a pain.

Called the Sony guy twice ( the first one was not helpful and rude, the second much better, thankfully).

End result? Well, you don't have HDMI signal ( I use a normal Tata Sky) nor an HDMI DVD player, hence this will continue.

So I spend 60 K and I get a huge sized giant that has actually robbed away my viewing pleasure.

Why wasn't this HDMI bullshit informed to me *before* I purchased the TV by the dealer so that I would have avoided this altogether?!

I wonder - what's this obsession with LCD TV by everyone - how many people will in any case have HD signal ??? ( Even Tata Sky is offering only 8 channels on their HD ). How many average Indian will know of HDMI ??!! Most people will have the normal DVD player only??!!

LCD is the biggest scam in TV industry to rip off middle class wallets selling them dreams and then not delivering.

TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED!!!

i am telling - go for trip to Kashmir, see the good sights and relax, because this tv has got full nil maening in your life and all life

You should have researched properly before getting such a big ticket item :indifferent14: Ideally, you should have been asking on the forum before getting the t.v., but anyway we can try to help make the best of bad situation.

Since you don't appear too keen on getting BD player, the next best thing is to get a player or AVR with a decent upscaler . These 'expand' SD sources to HD resolutions. Of course, it will never equal the quality of true HD, but it is better than SD.

I do not have any idea of the latest models with upscaling functionality, so others on the forum could fill in :eek:

Thanks Johny747 for the kind words. Needed them. Feeling damn low and depressed.

The Sony guys were here a few minutes back. They said this is the best, and nothing wrong with the TV. Get a Tata Sky HD connection ( no issues if you don't get to see your favorite channels since Tata Sky doesn't have them on HD)... Oh yes, the HDMI- DVDp (which I bought today alongwith HDMI cables) will work, but don't buy any Moser Baer or such DVD's ( too bad that most Hindi film titles are there with them, they should have checked with Sony before aquiring the rights. They were delighted to see 2012 movie's DVD - it's only later I saw that it was released on...you guessed it! - Sony !!! ). VCD's are out of question. And yes, get a blue-ray player. And hmmm, see that in a smaller size ( shown in PIP mode) it's looking so clear. After you have constricted yourself, enjoy this monolithic giant. Fool to buy a 40-incher giant.

Now that they have declared that the problem is not with the set but it works best only with the limited equipment ( blue-ray or Sony DVD's) , I am at my wits end as to further recourse!

do u feel the same picture quality while watching any DVD Video or DVD-Rip? If u are seeing the bad picture quality on ur TV and ur source is DVD-Player so I say try changing ur Video cables eg., HDMI cable and confirm it's of version 1.3.

I also have SONY LCD TV which u can in my SIG and while play any DVD-Rip video, picture luks really stunning, srsly u can't say that's it's DVD Video running on the TV, it luks like BR-Rip:)

so I say try changing ur Video cables eg., HDMI cable and confirm it's of version 1.3.

I have HDMI cable and HDMI upscaler or whatever it's called DVD player ( Pioneer 220 KV-K).

It's ok if say a Sony DVD like 2012 is played... it's awful when say an Excel DVD like Corporate is played.

I can't have a TV that gives me such limited facility!

i am telling - go for trip to Kashmir, see the good sights and relax, because this tv has got full nil maening in your life and all life

LOL ... but have spent the money on this TV, no more to spend on any thing more!

Question to all ----> Does any one know any one in Sony - the company- directly so that I can approach instead of their usual 'customer service' or call-centres ???

The 220 is a good player. Use a original disc and see how it plays.

Shadow/reflection of written words should never come. The letters should be crystal clear and sharply focussed. If this were a projector, I would say it was out of focus. But I certainly do not understand how this is happening in a TV. Get the technician to come and set your TV properly.

Cheers

Yeah, seems out of focus.

Wish it were good old days when you had a knob to turn and everything came in focus. These remote controlled settings hardly seem to make any difference.

After the technician left, I tried something else, a non-Moser Baer (as he mentioned) DVD... yuck...total crap!

I am convinced - either Sony makes total idiotic sets that only work with certain devices or this piece is real bad... It's just that I don't know now what to do! The technician or whoever from Sony came seemed to lean on the first option, though he didn't speak in so many words.

Damn Sony!

Can you post a picture of the ghosting effect? is it the one like i mentioned earlier.

What tv did you have earlier to this and what size it is.

ALso how far are you sitting from the tv.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back