Tower speakers under 20,000

vattsy

Summary : A lyric-freak wants to listen to good quality sound on tower speakers

Budget : 15k (+/-5)
Purpose : 100% music ( 40% indian film music + 20% english pop + 15% violin solos + 5% indian classicals + 10% EDM)
Room size : 12foot x 30foot x 10foot (can be placed anywhere in the room)
What I want : Tower speakers
What I do not want : 5.1/7.1 systems
Expertise: Noob

Hello everyone.

I am a newbie at these forums (Oldie at xbhp), so please bear with my story-telling.

10 years ago, when I was 12, I first realized that songs are beautiful. I used to skip them or change the tv channel before that whenever a song was cast. I started listening to radio, and for the next 3 years, I fell in love with the concepts of song - The sound, the word, and their blend. I further moved to downloading songs and listening on a mercury 5.1 that was crammed in a wooden cuboid 2ftx3ftx2ft with one face open, with decent bass. Since I always wanted to listen for meaning, I've never cared about how it sounds.

After I turned 16, I was away from home, into college hostels, and bachelor homes, where music means full base party or headphone listening. 2 years ago, I've been to a recording studio for recording a song of mine (I write) and listened to it on a Yamaha facing me. I was really astounded by the quality of what I heard. Even musical instruments had a lot more than what appeared to the eye. But I thought that system must be too expensive. I moved onto Dubai where I heard more of these superb systems. One fine night, I've been to a students' place (I teach physics) and I saw that their middle class family dad bought a decent 5.1 that sounded like a marvel. A WONDERFUL MARVEL.

Now, I get to be back at home, and I want to get the experience of all the music I listen to (>6 hours / day) using a good audio system. I know and understand that the quality factor Polk or Yamaha gives over a F&D or James Martin gives over a intex/iball. I've also done a bit research about things as a stupid INI engineer who tries to understand every technical aspect before I purchase. I understand terms like tweeter-impedance-woofer etc. I've almost finalised on a F&D T60X on amazon, before I got to know about names like Polk and James Martin. Now please throw some light on what I can try, or can blindly buy.

I fancy tower speakers. I like the way they are, tall and sleek. Just 2 speakers can get my job done I guess. I don't sit at one place and consciously listen 80% of the time, but I guess, I can turn of a noisy speaker in an hour or two. I'm not interested in a sub-woofer (I can manage with the mercury if I want that). I'll be mostly playing through an aux input (from the iphone6s/mac air 11/ radio unit) unless you suggest to buy those red-white set or an amplifier which I'll buy in an year. Lastly, I'm also confused about the 1 tower units versus 2 tower units I found on amazon. Do 1 tower units serve my purpose? I'm scared if they produce stereo output. Please bless me with pros and cons of 1-tower versus 2-tower.

I love compacting things and would prefer a 1-tower over a 2-tower over a 2tower+1 subwoofer anytime, provided that 1-tower doesn't deteriorate the stereo effects.

P.S. : Mods/admins, please give me the links if you think any posts fit my answers. Also move to category whichever you feel is appropriate.

A dream that every music fanatic lives from his childhood..... I like the point you made that we used to skip the songs.....agreed, most of em do not like to watch the songs, but would love to hear them soulfully.

I am afraid you may have to up your budget by 40 or 50K to have a decent music system.
You may require an Stereo Amp + Floor Standers that touches your soul. If you thinks this is way out of your budget, start with book shelves.
DO NOT hurry, start researching as much you can, this is a great forum and has got tons of information to educate oneself.
Start auditioning, in the meanwhile you can start saving to get ur dream ones home.
All the best!!!

Hi, you need two speakers for sure to be able to enjoy the full bodied sound. It's after all Stereo not a mono so there u go. Suggest not to buy a single speaker. Which amp do you have to drive speakers and what's the budget in mind. The amp has a huge impact on the sound quality.

Sent thru mobile

Try the for sale section on this forum or elsewhere..

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be requiring the following options to have dedicated music setup:
Option A: CD Player + Stereo Amp + Speakers
If u have digital music collection in your Laptop:
Option B :LAPTOP + DAC+ Stereo Amp + Speakers
Option C: LAPTOP + Stereo Amp with inbuilt DAC + Speakers

Also to have good stereo ,go for two speakers only.
You will be requiring patience to know various brands for various items ,Hifi audio showrooms in your area and having proper audition of the same.
Depending upon brands the budget may start from minimum 40k to over lakhs.

It will be also better to have look at the sale section in order to save money.

SUMMARY:
1. Do amps and DACs really matter? (I'll do my homework)
2. Can I buy a bookshelf and get all the comforts of tower speakers in a huge room?If not, what would I be missing?
3. I've been looking for used pairs too. I found a couple and still selecting. Is F&D a name so bad that all of you neglected it all together?
P.S.: I might not be looking for the best quality (because I never heard ehat it is), just good would do.

Thanks to everyone for taking pains to reply to a newbie who wouldn't be able to suggest anything back (Unless you need knowledge on bikes. xbhp:vattsy)

You will be requiring the following options to have dedicated music setup:
Option A: CD Player + Stereo Amp + Speakers
If u have digital music collection in your Laptop:
Option B :LAPTOP + DAC+ Stereo Amp + Speakers
Option C: LAPTOP + Stereo Amp with inbuilt DAC + Speakers

Option A is out of question. I'll use a laptop with internet-downloaded 320Kbps mp3s. Please suggest me between B and C so that I'll start saving money for that.

I am afraid you may have to up your budget by 40 or 50K to have a decent music system.
All the best!!!

I don't think I can spend so much on speakers. My bike asks me for a lot more. My upper limit will be 20,000 for speakers alone. Amp below.

You may require an Stereo Amp + Floor Standers that touches your soul. If you thinks this is way out of your budget, start with book shelves.
All the best!!!
Which amp do you have to drive speakers and what's the budget in mind. The amp has a huge impact on the sound quality.
Sent thru mobile

I am surprised amplifier is so important. Can it really affect the way downloaded 320kbps mp3s sound too? I thought it can only affect the lossless wav tracks. If yes, I'll start researching about the amplifier to be bought in a month or two.

Bookshelves? Are they really so good? I mean to say, they appear clumsy to me. And I read somewhere around the forum that they wouldn't fully blast my big room. Not that I would try full volumes, but just in case weekend parties favour the luck.

I believe you are looking for complete Audio system rather than only floorstanding speakers, you should do more research before buying anything as there is a lot on offer.

If you are on a budget, you can build a Amplifier yourself (It will give you a lot more than a entry level amplifier from Market) there are a lot of kits available now a days.

I built my own Amplifier and I am very happy with its performance.

Regards
Bilal

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

In 20K budget, Yamaha 8390 would be VFM product. These floorstanders has 8" woofer.

L143451.jpg

Hi, Me too an Xbhpian:)
Take a look at Polk Audio T50 too.
ProFX website shows 24K. i'm sure if you bargain hard & you can bring it under 20k.

vattsy, your enthusiasm is very clear from your post, heh heh! :)

Is your 15K to 20K budget for speakers alone, or for speakers and and amplifier? You'll need an amplifier to drive the speakers, or you'll need to get a set of active speakers (they have built-in amplifiers).

I'd strongly suggest that you restrict yourself to a good used set, and that you restrict yourself to book-shelf speakers in this budget. Floorstanders in this budget would definitely sound less better than bookshelf speakers in this budget.

The best option, in terms of maximum bang for the buck and best sound for the money, would be to look at a pair of used active speakers in this range. This would be a simpler system, and this would be more in line with your planed source (phone/laptop) for now.

I don't sit at one place and consciously listen 80% of the time, but I guess, I can turn of a noisy speaker in an hour or two. I'm not interested in a sub-woofer (I can manage with the mercury if I want that). I'll be mostly playing through an aux input (from the iphone6s/mac air 11/ radio unit) unless you suggest to buy those red-white set or an amplifier which I'll buy in an year. Lastly, I'm also confused about the 1 tower units versus 2 tower units I found on amazon. Do 1 tower units serve my purpose?

Since you're not likely to be listening from a seated position most of the time, are the specific attributes of a stereo pair, like a wide/deep soundstage or center image important for you? If they are not, you might be best served with a good Bluetooth speaker set in your budget range. They are typically stereo, but come in a small package, so while they will sound quite good, and will be fairly loud, they will not necessary have a wide stage.

You can try listening to units like the JBL Charge 4 or Bose Soundlink or any other such speakers at Reliance Digital outlets or Apple Brand Partner outlets (like Imagine). You might actually like what you hear, and you'll likely end up spending lesser than your planned budget. The portability of these units is a bonus. That said, a pair of used active monitors/speakers in the 15-20K range will be far better value for money.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back