Trouble free cd player these days

square_wave

Hey folks, what are some trouble free cd players these days in the 20 to 30k budget ? Sound quality is also an important criteria. A friend was in the market for one.

Last edited:
Marantz 6006 UK edition is supposed to very robust and well made. It’s pricier though.

Personally my Marantz 5005 is serving me fine for last 4 years. It skips few CDs which cheap DVD players read without any issues. Those CDs are mostly home burnt with visible scratches.

As I understand it’s common for dedicated CD players to skip cheap scratched CDs as accuracy is the prime consideration, which is why they sound so much better than DVD players.

So if you can make peace with that , no better option than going for new 5005 CDP which retails for only 20K on Hifimart and spending the rest on buying original CDs. :)

I beg to differ. Marantz players develop skipping and non reading issues pretty quickly, especially the newer ones. The older ones have lesser issues.
I have the 6006 UK edition. It has skipped few tracks. I had a faulty CD & thought the player was at fault but it was not the case. Sound & build quality is excellent. Pls also do try Denon cdp along with the others too. Pls note the 6006 does not play flac files from the usb but does play wav & mp3 files.

I beg to differ. Marantz players develop skipping and non reading issues pretty quickly, especially the newer ones. The older ones have lesser issues.
This perception has grown because Marantz CD players are being used by most FMs here and few have reported issues with skipping. But below 60K there isn’t any other CDP that can compete with Marantz on musicality.
Also , as I mentioned - skipping also has to do with condition of CDs.

Last edited:
No. I have a Philips cd player and a sherwood too. The cds the Marantz rejected was welcomed by these two player with so much enthusiasm. So, there is no issue in the cd. Even though the Marantz sounded more musical than the Sherwood, it failed to beat my old Philips in any respect. Of course, the sound quality is subjective, reading cds quickly and no skipping is not.
I’m presuming it’s the older (pre 90s ) Philips players ? If that’s so - those are excellent.

My marantz cd player refuses to play any CD. This was a sparingly used unit which played original CDs only. Sounded nice when they were playing though.

Hey folks, what are some trouble free cd players these days in the 20 to 30k budget ? Sound quality is also an important criteria. A friend was in the market for one.
Hi brother r you interested in vintage denon CD player?? Made in Japan 95 percent working condition & 80 percent cosmetics

Whatever you do, please Do NOT buy a used CD Player.

The Laser Diode has a typical life of 5 years... Why buy a product which has a shorter life span ? You will effectively not be saving money, and in fact you will be buying older technology too....

I have shared this in some other posts as well, no offense on marantz as a brand but do not recommend the latest offerings from marantz especially 5005 and 6006 cdps. They offen skips, stops playing or shows no disc eventhough if you feed a brand new original disc at times. I tried these marantz from various places and all behaved in a same manner.

What i liked so far by owning and visiting a few friends places are audiolab cdt6000 (i own) , vintage philips cdp and a vintage marantz cdp. Unable to recollect the model names of the vintage cdps mentioned currently.

They play even scratched cds without any struggle (infact the philips model played a partially broken cd as well - not exaggerating) and more importantly they output much cleaner than what the new marantz produces.

No harm in trying used players, provided if you find the genuine spare parts available in the market.

Better to get the players checked whatever you are going to buy otherwise please go with owners experiences with the players mentioned.

I have shared this in some other posts as well, no offense on marantz as a brand but do not recommend the latest offerings from marantz especially 5005 and 6006 cdps. They offen skips, stops playing or shows no disc eventhough if you feed a brand new original disc at times. I tried these marantz from various places and all behaved in a same manner.

Are these original discs all Indian Universal , Saregama CDs ? Because quite a few of these CDs are known to have manufacturing defects.

Hi brother r you interested in vintage denon CD player?? Made in Japan 95 percent working condition & 80 percent cosmetics
Thank you Mahi. This friend is in the market for new.

What i liked so far by owning and visiting a few friends places are audiolab cdt6000 (i own) , vintage philips cdp and a vintage marantz cdp. Unable to recollect the model names of the vintage cdps mentioned currently.

They play even scratched cds without any struggle (infact the philips model played a partially broken cd as well - not exaggerating) and more importantly they output much cleaner than what the new marantz produces.

No harm in trying used players, provided if you find the genuine spare parts available in the market.

Better to get the players checked whatever you are going to buy otherwise please go with owners experiences with the players mentioned.

Isnt the CDT from audiolab a transport only ? You would need a separate dac then.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back