Trouble free cd player these days

The Sanyo laser mechanism used in Cambridge cd players do not support even Mp3. They will only play original cds and recorded cds which have been correctly finalized in wav format.

The Sanyo laser mechanism used in Cambridge cd players do not support even Mp3. They will only play original cds and recorded cds which have been correctly finalized in wav format.
Again, no, this is because of the implementation. The mechanism used in most cambridges are the same as the one used in my Onkyo (SF P101N to be precise) , and it plays back CDR, WMA and MP3 just fine

Again, no, this is because of the implementation. The mechanism used in most cambridges are the same as the one used in my Onkyo (SF P101N to be precise) , and it plays back CDR, WMA and MP3 just fine
Could you share some light in what way is it implemented different that it reads only original cds.

Uses the Sanyo we are all complaining about. Worth a shot replacing the laser or ideally the entire mech
The basic question for Marantz & other brands which use the Sanyo transport is to clearly introspect, why use a cheap 18$ transport when users are willing to pay a little more for a good transport. If they can make their own HDAM circuits etc, then what is stopping them from making a good transport or at least use a decent one or implement it correctly.
I guess Sound United may be deaf towards user feedback or probably looking the other way which may be detrimental to them in the long run. Their players sound great no doubt but they should listen to customer feedback.

The basic question for Marantz & other brands which use the Sanyo transport is to clearly introspect, why use a cheap 18$ transport when users are willing to pay a little more for a good transport. If they can make their own HDAM circuits etc, then what is stopping them from making a good transport or at least use a decent one or implement it correctly.
I guess Sound United may be deaf towards user feedback or probably looking the other way which may be detrimental to them in the long run. Their players sound great no doubt but they should listen to customer feedback.
Engineering an entire cd player transport takes a lot of investment and scale to pay off. Designing and building something like hdam is child's play compared to making a reliable and long lasting CD transport. That's why a niche player like burson could design and sell something similar at a cheap price. You don't see anyone doing that for cd mechanisms.

Ultimately optical media, and particularly CD only players are a dying niche. Every year the list of stand alone CD players grow shorter. Major manufacturers are focusing on designing blu ray and dvd mechanisms, with even the latter almost dead. Even most of the so called exotic and custom transports were just standard transports with a few mods here and there. Marantz and must manufacturers know that based on the current forecast for CD players *the margins per player, there just isn't a business case. Ultimately the are only a few designs available in sufficient quantity to create a mass produced product and the Sanyo is the main one. Probably Sony has some kss series stuff but they are probably way more expensive, and Sony is probably a lot choosier about who it licenses designs and supplies oem parts to.

To draw a parallel. Until recently, most branded TT's used the hanpin mechanicals. And everybody used to beat on them saying how the sl1200 which used to sell for close to that much had a superior mechanism. Guess what? When Technics finally launched the sl1200 at 4k usd, suddenly the hanpin tables suddenly became reasonable in both cost and quality and the comparisons stopped.

It's easy to go about singing about the glory days of cdm transports.looking at the prices CDM transports sell these days you'd think Phillips would restart making them, or someone would licence them. Hasn't happened yet. Probably the day it does, the same people who are complaining about mechanism quality will suddenly start complaining about cd player costs being too high!

Engineering an entire cd player transport takes a lot of investment and scale to pay off. Designing and building something like hdam is child's play compared to making a reliable and long lasting CD transport. That's why a niche player like burson could design and sell something similar at a cheap price. You don't see anyone doing that for cd mechanisms.

Ultimately optical media, and particularly CD only players are a dying niche. Every year the list of stand alone CD players grow shorter. Major manufacturers are focusing on designing blu ray and dvd mechanisms, with even the latter almost dead. Even most of the so called exotic and custom transports were just standard transports with a few mods here and there. Marantz and must manufacturers know that based on the current forecast for CD players *the margins per player, there just isn't a business case. Ultimately the are only a few designs available in sufficient quantity to create a mass produced product and the Sanyo is the main one. Probably Sony has some kss series stuff but they are probably way more expensive, and Sony is probably a lot choosier about who it licenses designs and supplies oem parts to.

To draw a parallel. Until recently, most branded TT's used the hanpin mechanicals. And everybody used to beat on them saying how the sl1200 which used to sell for close to that much had a superior mechanism. Guess what? When Technics finally launched the sl1200 at 4k usd, suddenly the hanpin tables suddenly became reasonable in both cost and quality and the comparisons stopped.

It's easy to go about singing about the glory days of cdm transports.looking at the prices CDM transports sell these days you'd think Phillips would restart making them, or someone would licence them. Hasn't happened yet. Probably the day it does, the same people who are complaining about mechanism quality will suddenly start complaining about cd player costs being too high!
My comparision of Marantz is with the Pioneer PD-S802 bought back in the day in the mid-nineties. CD players were affordable & they had good transports. Reading cd's were never an issue back then. The current Pioneer bdp 180 that I am using for movies, reads those tracks which the Marantz does not very reliably. Agreed the sound of the Marantz is superior than the BDP but reading tracks reliably also matters a lot.
Also agreeing that CD players are reducing but then the company should implement the transport properly or seek a good one. BDP players costing half the price of CD players read CD's more reliably & don't skip tracks.

Marantz did develop a higher end CD transport that they use in their reference lineup ($2500 and up). I'm pretty sure the cost for them would be a multiple of whatever the Sanyo part costs (no volume benefits there)

Fact is that $18 is pretty high for something that would be a small part of the total bill of materials cost for a $400 CD player. Before trade margins and logistics, that would be a $200 cd player. That $200 has to cover the chassis, all electronics, packaging and whatever margin the manufacturer keeps. $18 would be nearly 10% of that. I'm not even sure there are better options available at a slightly higher price point (say $35 or so) - the higher models all seem to use SACD drives. The other option would be DVD drives. Problem with that is you'll have people saying - that cant possible be good, it uses a DVD drive.

Marantz did develop a higher end CD transport that they use in their reference lineup ($2500 and up). I'm pretty sure the cost for them would be a multiple of whatever the Sanyo part costs (no volume benefits there)

Fact is that $18 is pretty high for something that would be a small part of the total bill of materials cost for a $400 CD player. Before trade margins and logistics, that would be a $200 cd player. That $200 has to cover the chassis, all electronics, packaging and whatever margin the manufacturer keeps. $18 would be nearly 10% of that. I'm not even sure there are better options available at a slightly higher price point (say $35 or so) - the higher models all seem to use SACD drives. The other option would be DVD drives. Problem with that is you'll have people saying - that cant possible be good, it uses a DVD drive.
That seems to be true I guess.

My comparision of Marantz is with the Pioneer PD-S802 bought back in the day in the mid-nineties. CD players were affordable & they had good transports. Reading cd's were never an issue back then. The current Pioneer bdp 180 that I am using for movies, reads those tracks which the Marantz does not very reliably. Agreed the sound of the Marantz is superior than the BDP but reading tracks reliably also matters a lot.
Also agreeing that CD players are reducing but then the company should implement the transport properly or seek a good one. BDP players costing half the price of CD players read CD's more reliably & don't skip tracks.
You're just like those people in my post above complaining that a $500 pioneer TT is not the same quality as the sl1200 they bought for $500 or less in the 1990's. Guess what? The sl1200 costs 4k today.

Comparing the quality of a CD player built when CD was the biggest selling media format globally to that of a niche product is not the same because the economies of scale are not there any more. Pioneer has a two budget CD player models. Pd10ae and pd30ae. Guess what mechanism they use!

Manufacturers will build everything to a price point. Heck, in 1994, a maruti Zen cost 2.81L. you can probably get one today in good shape for 1L or so. The cheapest car in India today is the alto and it costs 2.91L, and it's quality is nowhere near the alto. Nobody is saying that cars were more reasonably priced in 1994 and that if maruti cannot make a car with zen's build quality at that price point, they shouldn't. Instead maruti makes the alto that people continue to buy despite the ghastly build quality.

You're just like those people in my post above complaining that a $500 pioneer TT is not the same quality as the sl1200 they bought for $500 or less in the 1990's. Guess what? The sl1200 costs 4k today.

Comparing the quality of a CD player built when CD was the biggest selling media format globally to that of a niche product is not the same because the economies of scale are not there any more. Pioneer has a two budget CD player models. Pd10ae and pd30ae. Guess what mechanism they use!

Manufacturers will build everything to a price point. Heck, in 1994, a maruti Zen cost 2.81L. you can probably get one today in good shape for 1L or so. The cheapest car in India today is the alto and it costs 2.91L, and it's quality is nowhere near the alto. Nobody is saying that cars were more reasonably priced in 1994 and that if maruti cannot make a car with zen's build quality at that price point, they shouldn't. Instead maruti makes the alto that people continue to buy despite the ghastly build quality.
My point to be specific is, today's Alto may be more efficient than yesteryears Zen. Though build quality may differ.
Also how do the much cheaper Bluray players read disc more efficiently. If a CDP is sold at around 35k to 40k then a certain quality is also expected from the transport too.
I can understand if the cdp player costing around 15k had such reading issues.
Also if you notice the reading issues at the same point is brand specific.

Last edited:
Friends, the older CD player can play CDs written from 1x upto 8x only and above 8x they struggles to play audio CDs... So better you burn some cds at slow rate i.e 1x upto 8x and try to play... Even if it skips, definately there may be problem with cd player mechanism or laser...
Once I had marantz cd63 which I throw away as it wasn't reading many cds as I changed laser to Chinese available... Later I used slow written cds and it plays well those slow written cds

Friends, the older CD player can play CDs written from 1x upto 8x only and above 8x they struggles to play audio CDs... So better you burn some cds at slow rate i.e 1x upto 8x and try to play... Even if it skips, definately there may be problem with cd player mechanism or laser...
Once I had marantz cd63 which I throw away as it wasn't reading many cds as I changed laser to Chinese available... Later I used slow written cds and it plays well those slow written cds
spot on! In my experience, burning audio CDs at high speeds somehow always messes with the TOC and the cdp doesn't read them

Is it still possible to get drives that can write audio CDs at lower than 16X? The DVD drive on my laptops and bluray drive on my desktop do minimum 16X. It was years ago that I had a drive that could do 8X.

Is it still possible to get drives that can write audio CDs at lower than 16X? The DVD drive on my laptops and bluray drive on my desktop do minimum 16X. It was years ago that I had a drive that could do 8X.

Current CD writers cannot write lower than 10x. Maybe we need a new category “vintage CD burners”!!

The issue in the thread was actually to avoid buying a new CD player not being able to read certain original CD's/tracks & to help to choose the player which reads most of them for Square_wave's friend.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back