Trouble free cd player these days

In my opinion and from experience, a major issue with Marantz cd players is the laser transport. When purchased new and when used during the lifetime of the original factory-supplied laser transport, they work well. Once the laser transport's life span is over, getting an OEM replacement becomes a headache. But when they are in good functional shape, it is hard to beat the Marantz models in this segment. I have had some experience with older NAD models and though they sound very good, as they get older, then tend to develop issues with the cd drive (tray alignment, etc). Personally i had all these cd players which i used and discontinued using them as they all developed reliability issues at some stage. After a lot of disappointment and frustration, leveraged an old Sony DVD player DVP NS-57P (made in Malaysia) which I got new with my Sony Trinitron TV back in 2006. It is so good, it plays almost anything thrown at it, plays MP3 from cds and dvd, has been literally murdered sometimes playing through out the day and night and it still plays like a gem. This model has a stereo audio output (unlike the usual multi channel output models) and hence gives a pure stereo output. The sound quality is really good and i have noticed only a marginal difference between this one and big names like the Marantz CD 63 mk2. Most of my cd listening is burnt audio-cd versions of mp3 files or mp3s themselves so i figured out that this is good enough for me, more so as I can enhance the quality using my behringer deq2496 anyways :)

Last edited:
In my opinion and from experience, a major issue with Marantz cd players is the laser transport. When purchased new and when used during the lifetime of the original factory-supplied laser transport, they work well. Once the laser transport's life span is over, getting an OEM replacement becomes a headache. But when they are in good functional shape, it is hard to beat the Marantz models in this segment. I have had some experience with older NAD models and though they sound very good, as they get older, then tend to develop issues with the cd drive (tray alignment, etc). Personally i had all these cd players which i used and discontinued using them as they all developed reliability issues at some stage. After a lot of disappointment and frustration, leveraged an old Sony DVD player DVP NS-57P (made in Malaysia) which I got new with my Sony Trinitron TV back in 2006. It is so good, it plays almost anything thrown at it, plays MP3 from cds and dvd, has been literally murdered sometimes playing through out the day and night and it still plays like a gem. This model has a stereo audio output (unlike the usual multi channel output models) and hence gives a pure stereo output. The sound quality is really good and i have noticed only a marginal difference between this one and big names like the Marantz CD 63 mk2. Most of my cd listening is burnt audio-cd versions of mp3 files or mp3s themselves so i figured out that this is good enough for me, more so as I can enhance the quality using my behringer deq2496 anyways :)
Few pioneer DVD player also very good player # especially for stereo listening # made in Japan DVD player extremely nice sounding player heavy construction & too good dac

I'm very happy with Denon. I have lived with a DCD1500AR a 1500AE and now the 2500NE. A very very reliable transport. No issues till date over reading a CD or skipping tracks. The DCD 1500AE is still going strong and reads as fast as it did when bought new and the 2500NE is in a class of its own. I see no reason to switch brands neither change the medium for listening to music. If at all I will stick to the excellent Denon transport and get a higher end DAC but then I don't have much faith in two box players from different manufacturers either ,having two clocks unnecessarily doing things which otherwise is fine with one clock (hence less jitter) and in a single box. It's best to stick to Japanese Transports and European / American DACs for a high end configuration imho.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with Denon. I have lived with a DCD1500AR a 1500AE and now the 2500NE. A very very reliable transport. No issues till date over reading a CD or skipping tracks. The DCD 1500AE is still going strong and reads as fast as it did when bought new and the 2500NE is in a class of its own. I see no reason to switch brands neither change the medium for listening to music. If at all I will stick to the excellent Denon transport and get a higher end DAC but then I don't have much faith in two box players from different manufacturers either ,having two clocks unnecessarily doing things which otherwise is fine with one clock (hence less jitter) and in a single box. It's best to stick to Japanese Transports and European / American DACs for a high end configuration imho.
No doubt, the Denon 2500 NE may be terrific. But it's quite expensive and you also have the Cyrus players among other good brands in the same range which are reliable.
The OP's friend has a budget of around 30k max.

No doubt, the Denon 2500 NE may be terrific. But it's quite expensive and you also have the Cyrus players among other good brands in the same range which are reliable.
The OP's friend has a budget of around 30k max.

Cyrus is terribly unreliable as far as Disc read and loader is concerned. There are lot of reports on the net too. Though What HiFi is going out of their way for promoting the brand Im not to enthusiastic about the Cyrus sound, it does no good to the digital medias digital sheen but enhances it further , I find it very cold and not intimate a sound signature. This is totally my personal view about Cyrus's sound signature others might hear differently.

I bought the Marantz 6006 at 30k earlier this year from Hifimart. The sound quality is good.
However, it has started showing issues lately - the tray keeps on opening when I put a CD in and press close. To get the CD to stay inside I have to press the play button on the remote while flipping the USB/disc switch at the same time a few times. I'm in touch with the dealer - hoping to get this fixed soon.

This just confirms what many other FMs have said about the 6006 in other threads - good sound for the budget but expect mechanical/other issues.

Guys, the only difference between a $100 cd player and a $1000 cd player is the electronics and cosmetics. If you want a solid mechanism, you need to go into the several thousand dollar range. If you want something reliable and cheap, buy a used player with one of the known good mechanisms and hope it still has enough life left.

I bought the Marantz 6006 at 30k earlier this year from Hifimart. The sound quality is good.
However, it has started showing issues lately - the tray keeps on opening when I put a CD in and press close. To get the CD to stay inside I have to press the play button on the remote while flipping the USB/disc switch at the same time a few times. I'm in touch with the dealer - hoping to get this fixed soon.

This just confirms what many other FMs have said about the 6006 in other threads - good sound for the budget but expect mechanical/other issues.
Hi skroderider,

Hope all is good at your end. I would suggest giving the player for servicing since it is in the warranty period. So far my cd 6006 does not have those issues & keeping my fingers crossed for the future. Off late have been using the usb port more than the cd. Totally agree with you on the sound quality.

Regards.

Why not you clean the CLOSE button WITH isopropyl Alcohol and make contact easier.. I did same on my Cambridge Audio CD player via a Mobile Repairer and it worked from then.. Its just bcoz of loose spring in Close button usually

Hi skroderider,

Hope all is good at your end. I would suggest giving the player for servicing since it is in the warranty period. So far my cd 6006 does not have those issues & keeping my fingers crossed for the future. Off late have been using the usb port more than the cd. Totally agree with you on the sound quality.

Regards.
Thanks, Nitin. Yes, I'll talk to the service center tomorrow.

Why not you clean the CLOSE button WITH isopropyl Alcohol and make contact easier.. I did same on my Cambridge Audio CD player via a Mobile Repairer and it worked from then.. Its just bcoz of loose spring in Close button usually
I don't have the confidence to open up a CD player myself.

I don't have the confidence to open up a CD player myself.
This can easily be done by any CD repair person. What we need to open is pull out front panel forwards and allow some isopropyl alcohol in contact of those buttons and swipe it with cotton cloth n q-tip. This will be needed every year or else you protect your cd player from moisture

Depends on the rest of your setup.

A DVD player used as a transport will certainly sound inferior to a good CD transport if your system is capable of demonstrating the difference.

However, it has started showing issues lately - the tray keeps on opening when I put a CD in
Typically in most CD Player mechanisms when the tray closes it pushes a micro switch inside, (This switch usually gets dirty or looses contact). Then CD detected, after that CD starts spinning and play. Since it is in warranty better to get serviced at authorised person. Probably can be serviced and delivered in single visit.
Regards.

Last edited:
You are right Reuben. Even I am thinking in that direction. DVD players have lesser reading and skipping issues when compared to dedicated cd players. Thinking of getting a decent DAC and using a good DVD player as transport. What do you say?
Its a safe option in my opinion and eventually will provide you with great enjoyment. Personally, I have always been quite conservative and have usually made multiple references, had a lot of discussions and often took the purist route all along my audio journey. Then over the course of time, I figured out that an unconventional approach sometimes works with great results. I have come to learn that in Audio, what is important and what is the best, is what sounds good to one's ear and what causes enjoyment and happiness. Not something that is perfect in the laboratory or is set up using conventions, but does not produce sounds that one can enjoy :) I once believed a record can be enjoyed only on a broadcast turntable or a cd can be enjoyed only when using a transport and a very high end DAC. I was brought down to earth when I experienced a friend enjoying records on a HMV 1010 record player and CDs on a Sony Discman. Since reworking my approach, I have been able to enjoy music without worrying too much about the equipment or the settings (and of course, equipment failure) :)

Its a safe option in my opinion and eventually will provide you with great enjoyment. Personally, I have always been quite conservative and have usually made multiple references, had a lot of discussions and often took the purist route all along my audio journey. Then over the course of time, I figured out that an unconventional approach sometimes works with great results. I have come to learn that in Audio, what is important and what is the best, is what sounds good to one's ear and what causes enjoyment and happiness. Not something that is perfect in the laboratory or is set up using conventions, but does not produce sounds that one can enjoy :) I once believed a record can be enjoyed only on a broadcast turntable or a cd can be enjoyed only when using a transport and a very high end DAC. I was brought down to earth when I experienced a friend enjoying records on a HMV 1010 record player and CDs on a Sony Discman. Since reworking my approach, I have been able to enjoy music without worrying too much about the equipment or the settings (and of course, equipment failure) :)
Very aptly explained & totally agree.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back