Trouble in getting good sound for blue ray using stereo amplifier

renjith lal

Hi All,

I am facing some issue in getting good sound for all of my blue rays.

At present I am using only two speakers (left and right) and I have a good stereo amp and it give excellent sound for CDs and other high resolution audio. I dont have an AVR now. So I tried to use stereo amp for movies but unfortunately it is not giving good sound for movies due to some reason and it sounds excellent for CDs and other high resolution audio. ( I am using PCM output using coaxial cable from sony X800 to Devialet 120 for movies as it wont accept bit stream output from blueray plaer ).

I am getting very good sound with my speakers for CDs and other high resolution audio but not that level of sound for movies. I was using Anthem AVR and Harbeth Comapct 7 speakers previously for movies and for stereo Devialet 120 and Harbeth. Can you guys tell me what could be the issue for not getting good sound for movies alone now?

Thanks
Renjith

Have you tried the analogue output of the blueray player to check? See if you notice any difference. What speakers are you using currently?

Found this in the menu...
x[BD Audio MIX Setting]
[On]: Outputs the audio obtained by mixing
the interactive and secondary audio to the
primary audio.
[Off]: Outputs the primary audio only. Select
this to output Bitstream (Dolby/DTS) signals
to an AV amplifier (receiver).

Try toggling it and see.

Hi All,

I am facing some issue in getting good sound for all of my blue rays.

At present I am using only two speakers (left and right) and I have a good stereo amp and it give excellent sound for CDs and other high resolution audio. I dont have an AVR now. So I tried to use stereo amp for movies but unfortunately it is not giving good sound for movies due to some reason and it sounds excellent for CDs and other high resolution audio. ( I am using PCM output using coaxial cable from sony X800 to Devialet 120 for movies as it wont accept bit stream output from blueray plaer ).

I am getting very good sound with my speakers for CDs and other high resolution audio but not that level of sound for movies. I was using Anthem AVR and Harbeth Comapct 7 speakers previously for movies and for stereo Devialet 120 and Harbeth. Can you guys tell me what could be the issue for not getting good sound for movies alone now?

Thanks
Renjith

Hi

I am sure the Blu Rays you use would have settings or options menu where you can adjust the output as Stereo or 5.1 etc....try that.....

Secondly, the Blu Ray player would have audio settings as DTS downmix to Stereo etc...refer to owners manual and make these changes since you use only 2 speakers for now....later you can adjust the changes once you have all remaining speakers from a HT perspective.

Hi,

I tried couple of settings and got an acceptable results but still not perfect. Setting which helped is to read CD data for DSD disk.
Other settings like downmix to stereo I have made it before.

Now I was just thinking to get an AVR but need an AVR which will match or exceed the performance of stereo amplifier (may be expectation is too much but at least for movies not for stereo). I am using Devialet 120 now for stereo .I was thinking of Marantz 7011, Yamaha 3060 and Denon 7200. Which one will be a good choice? Previously I was using Anthem AVR and I liked it very much. I know it is better to demo all and decide but unfortunately it is difficult to demo all these three.
My setup will be maximum 5.2 and near future it will be maximum 2.1 or 2.2. But my two speakers (left and right) are of good quality and may add Rhythmic sub.

My previous experience with Japanese AVRs, I have done a home demo with Marantz six thousand series but was not impressed then bought a NAD T 757 used for one year then upgraded to Anthem. But never tried flagship models from Denon/Marantx or Yamaha. Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back