True Audio: A site for DIY speaker makers

I had pinged a few (knowledgeable) FMs to post their views about the site but haven't got any responses! Wondering why:rolleyes:

I personally believe that knowledge is for sharing. What's the point otherwise?

Inputs from FMs are solicited.

I had pinged a few (knowledgeable) FMs to post their views about the site but haven't got any responses! Wondering why:rolleyes:

I personally believe that knowledge is for sharing. What's the point otherwise?

Inputs from FMs are solicited.

Happy New Year Captain Rajesh,:)

Thanks soo Much for sharing these very useful links the name of this site Says it all no need of other FM's Views/Opnions ;)

Yes me too Firmly believe that but got pinched thrice in 1 month so I'm kind of supressing my opnions/facts.:sad:

BTW Its wonderful knowing you too support sharing Knowledge/Facts.

Best Regards

@Danieljohn, sharing information about site is something. Discussion about knowledge being shared yields far better results. That's what my intentions are.

@GeorgeO, the books seems to have covered quite a bit of information.

Audio Basics
Loudspeaker Basics
Speaker Response Functions
Advanced Loudspeaker Topics
Enclosure Design
Crossover Design
Driver Parameter Measurement
Loudspeaker Simulation

Chapter 1: Audio Basics

- Audio Technology
- A Brief History of Loudspeakers
- Audio Systems and the Signal Chain
- The Audible Frequency Range
- Frequency and Pitch
- Sound Pressure Level: SPL

Chapter 2

- Loudspeaker Basics
- Loudspeakers as Systems
- Loudspeaker System Components
- Loudspeaker Enclosure Types
- Dipole Speakers
- Closed Box Loudspeakers
- Vented Box Loudspeakers
- Bandpass Loudspeakets
- Loudspeakers with Multiple Drivers

Chapter 3

- Speaker Response Functions
- The Speaker Response Functions
- Frequency Response
- Excursion Response
- Phase Response
- Group Delay Response
- Impedance Response
- Loudspeaker Design Tradeoffs
- The Thiele Small Parameters

Chapter 4

- Advanced Loudspeaker Topics
- Spatial Loading
- Diffraction Loss
- Cavity Effect
- Point, Line and Plane Sources
- Stethoscopic Speaker Examination
- Enclosure Losses

Chapter 5

- Enclosure Design
- Enclosure Design and Construction
- Materials
- Enclosure Shapes
- Bracing and Filling
- Construction Technique
- Vent Placement
- Driver Placement
- Speaker Protection
- Guitar Cabinet Design

Chapter 6

- Crossover Design
- Crossover Design
- Multi-way Crossover Design
- Crossover Frequency Selection
- Problems with Crossovers
- Solutions to the Crossover Problem
- The 1st Order Butterworth Crossover
- The 1st Order Series Crossover
- The 2nd Order Butterworth Crossover
- The 3rd Order Butterworth Crossover
- The Linkwitz-Riley Crossovers
- 2nd Order Linkwitz-Riley Crossover
- 4th Order Linkwitz-Riley Crossover
- Crossover Discussion
- Crossover Component Selection
- Driver Impedance Compensation
- Resonance Compensator
- Inductance Compensator (Zobel)
- Combining Impedance Compensators
- Attenuating the Tweeter

Chapter 7

- Driver Parameter Measurement
- Hardware Requirements
- The Test Jig
- Driver Measurements

Chapter 8

- Loudspeaker Simulation
- Loudspeaker Design by Simulation
- Vented Box Loudspeaker Analysis
- Closed Box Loudspeaker Analysis
- Simulation as a Design Tool
- Design Equations Summary
- Advanced Acoustic Simulation

How I wish at least a brief version of the book was made available for the information of beginners.

I have had Winspeakerz for a long time. It's good to do some basic quick simulations and calculating crossover component values. However the speakers are just fixed resistances and so it's only a good starting point. But at the price it's OK. Today however you get plenty of other software that can do more and some are free.
I haven't got the book as I have several others .

I have been a user of TrueRTA for sometime for measuring speaker and room responses. Very useful site.

Cheers.

Today however you get plenty of other software that can do more and some are free.

I haven't got the book as I have several others .

This is precisely the reason why I wanted knowledgeable FMs to chime in. Thank you for responding Fantastic. Could you provide some links of some which you consider are better value. Even better would be if you could share details of those free sites.

@Anilva, glad that you've used it and have endorsed the site.

Thanks a lot for the useful link. The offer of a free evaluation copy will be quite useful. I'm actually interested in the book by John L Murphy. The Last chapter looks to have some useful information!

I've chanced upon this site. It provides a lot of tools for those interested in making DIY speakers:

https://www.trueaudio.com

Thanks for the links.

I was using TrueRTA 5 years ago for FR and SPL measurement and sometimes even use them today in my mobile apps (A basic TrueRTA version is available as a mobile app for free). This is good to get the response in a typical listening room and cannot duplicate the anechoic response. In my experience speaker workshop, REW and ARATA are better options as they allow to use a windowed response using a small gate to remove the effect of the room and is close to the anechoic response. Its easier to design speakers with this response rather than the TrueRTA method as you may not be able to tweak effectively.

I have not used winspeakerz and will not be able to comment until i used them for sometime. Since i only build ATL speakers the box calculator will not be of much use for my design. For crossover simulations i am using other freeware available from the net which is equally good or maybe better than winspeakersz.

The cookbook about loudspeaker design looks quite impressive and can help many diyers to understand the basics of loudspeakers before attempting to build themselves and will be an good investment.

For measuring driver impedance and TS parameters can be done through REW, Speaker workshop and also can be done through manual method if required.

@GeorgeO, the books seems to have covered quite a bit of information.
How I wish at least a brief version of the book was made available for the information of beginners.

If you need a primer, Vance Dickanson's book can be used.

I have had Winspeakerz for a long time. It's good to do some basic quick simulations and calculating crossover component values.

I believe LSPCAD is just as cheap and maybe more effective.
Untitled

Some old favs are Calsod, Clio, SoundEasy, UniBox, etc.. I believe Google can help you find all of them, for example Audiosoft Home Page

MLSSA and LEAP/LMS are a fair bit more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Typical speaker building process.
SpeakerBuilding.com - Making of M2 - Print

An older thread on the same topic
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/50134-diyers-do-you-measure.html

All these software's are good paid or free.
What is more important is how much does one understand about particular software and what results he is expecting from it.

Numerous diyers are using Arta, rew and holms impulse for measurements and are getting excellent results. All depends on giving enough time to learn and understand the software properly.

All these software's are good paid or free.
What is more important is how much does one understand about particular software and what results he is expecting from it.

Numerous diyers are using Arta, rew and holms impulse for measurements and are getting excellent results. All depends on giving enough time to learn and understand the software properly.

I am currently using Arta and Rew for FR & Z measurements and they are pretty straightforward. For doing a gated measurement of impulse response you may probably require a good sound card and a measurement microphone. Some background of electronics & applied mathematics will be good in understanding the theory behind it as it talks about Fourier transform, electro-magnetic theory etc.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back