True Audiophile

What is the future of bluray audio? Can a bluray audio beat vinyles? I guess so with the huge bandwidth available on BR disks.

In theory, a huge bandwidth can give stupendous results. Almost analogue !
The problem lies elsewhere.

If you are able to somehow transfer the QUALITY of studio master to the final commercial Blu-ray disc, they will sound awesome ! But I doubt this will be possible. There are myriad of problems in the pipeline after the studio master is made. Ground reality will be different.

I have more hope for the HD track downloads which will eventually become the norm. There is very less room for screwing up in this pipeline.

Faithfullmess = True to the original
May be bad choice of word but not meaningless.

Sorry I did not made myself more clear.
You made yourself clear, and my answer is the same. You make an assumption that a digitised copy has to sound substantially different, or have a different nature. I don't think it does. There is a section of the world population that feeds noise into its ears from highly compressed MP3s: the rest of would just not bother converting our music into a digital form, even for convenience, if it spoilt it.

When an artist records a song/music and once it is in the master tape It is not good idea to manipulate it. It only needs to be amplified for the speakers.
Unless you actually possess that mythical piece of wire with gain (which was somebody's definition of the theoretically perfect amplifier) then you manipulate it every time you listen to it. You even manipulate it when you move your head a few inches, let alone playing it on different systems in different rooms.

In fact, vinyl takes a great deal of manipulation. Rather than just being converted Anaogue-Digital-Analogue, it has to be distorted to something that barely sounds musical, and then undistorted again, just to make the whole process actually work.

(Isn't that the reason we don't have tone controls in high fidelity systems besides distortion and phase issue).
It's a theory. I could add, too, that it is a much better theory for youngsters who can still hear mosquitoes, than it is for likes of aging old grumps like me. I wish I could turn up the treble on my amp!
If we trust pro recording engineers decades ago. They have paintstakingly produced vinyls for good fidelity. It will not make sense to digitize them
unless one is using high end AD converter of which I have zero knowledge.
I don't know that sound engineers were more painstaking years ago than they are now, or that that makes sense or nonsense of digitising them.

Yes, it goes without saying that a good ADC is required.
That may bring us to remastering of old material. Is it good to listen to remastered material ? I dont know. But if I have original material I would not go and buy remastered vinyl or cd, no matter how good it is. I want to listen to original unadulterated stuff.
But you don't!

We can none of us have listened in the studio itself. What possible intrinsic value can there be in the fact that the lp was mixed, mastered and manufactured within a few months of a concert, rather than thirty years later? As per my eulogy, I love my LPs, for what they are are, for their history, for their worn covers --- just as I might love a book for the same reasons. It has little to do with the sound.

Improvements in audio engineering did not stop then. All the reproductions that we bought, or buy now, are reproductions: none of them is intrinsically any more "original" simply by virtue of age.

Last edited:
I have more hope for the HD track downloads which will eventually become the norm. There is very less room for screwing up in this pipeline.

Vinny - Browse through the forums at ComputerAudiophile. HD downloads are completely hit and miss in terms of quality right now. Especially from HDtracks.com.

Noob question: Are these blu-ray audio discs in stereo or multi-channel?

Coming back to the first post. I admire Michael Fremer's early judgement about the digital sound (of that time). He did not get carried away with the hype of new age technology. He has a good pair of ears and he chose to use it. Very nice indeed !!!

while we have gone thru one cycle of Analogue/Digital from the view of Equipment, there is another angle to it as well ie the ear.

apparently our ear acts like an ADC + DAC ie our membrane converts the analogue signal to Digital where it reacheds the brain which again "reconstructs" an impression of the signal
An additional complication arises when discussing human perception when comparing analog and digital audio in that the human ear itself, is an analog-digital hybrid. The human hearing mechanism begins with the tympanic membrane transferring vibrational motion through the middle-ear's mechanical systemthree bones (malleus, incus and stapes)into the cochlea where hair-like nerve cells convert the vibrational motion stimulus into nerve impulses. Auditory nerve impulses are best described as "clicks" which result when synapses release neuro-transmitting chemicals (see here) The auditory information thus entering the brain, is strictly speaking, digital in nature. The brain then processes the incoming information and produces an impression of the original analog input to the ear canal.

Last edited:
Noob question: Are these blu-ray audio discs in stereo or multi-channel?

They mayhave both but it depends on the disk. For ex. I have a Dire Straits:Alchemy BD which has uncompressed PCM on stereo and DTS HD MA on 5.1; but the U2 Rattle and Hum or MJ's This is it have only multichannel options.

Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 10 (Mariinsky Orchestra/Gergiev) Gramophone Editor's Choice: Mariinsky Orchestra, Dmitri Shostakovich, Valery Gergiev: Amazon.co.uk: Music

The best recording I have at the moment. Released by The Mariinsky Theatre's personal label. Needs an SACD player to really shine.

Amazon.com: Shostakovich: Symphony No. 15 / Sonata No.2: Dmitri Shostakovich, Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra, Emil Gilels: Music

A red book 'high performance' CD with superb clarity and dynamics.

It is difficult to set a volume for Shostakovich's symphonies. At times you can barely hear the orchestra and an instant late there is an explosion of sound. Any source, analogue or digital, which can handle both the high's and lows, of Dmitri Shostakovich's 15 symphonies, with refinement and clarity is a good source. Personally I feel that a post Mahler (1885-) symphony reveals the pedigree of a source better than any other genre of music.

Play LOUD!

Gergiev's Maxim Gun - YouTube

Digital vs analog battle :)

CD vs Vinyl

Vinyl vs Reel to Reel

CD vs Reel to Reel

Either CD or Vinyl or Reel to Reel, Whatever you like is just personal taste.

You made yourself clear, and my answer is the same. You make an assumption that a digitised copy has to sound substantially different, or have a different nature. I don't think it does.
Bro, when one converts from one format to another it is of different nature and substantially may sound so. Question is can anyone differntiate. it looks like most of us including you and me can not. But some do. And that's what will help newcomers in deciding which way to go which is the aim of the discussions as very rightly said by other members.
There is a section of the world population that feeds noise into its ears from highly compressed MP3s: the rest of would just not bother converting our music into a digital form, even for convenience, if it spoilt it.
Wouldn't you call converting an analogue signal in to digital wihich involves sampling and compression spoiling ? I have no problem with digital but it is not original if converted from vinyl. I am happy that vinyl has more information and before you ask no I can't hear it and tell the difference :p But it is there.
Unless you actually possess that mythical piece of wire with gain (which was somebody's definition of the theoretically perfect amplifier) then you manipulate it every time you listen to it. You even manipulate it when you move your head a few inches, let alone playing it on different systems in different rooms.
hee hee so why manipulate it further by digitizing it.
In fact, vinyl takes a great deal of manipulation. Rather than just being converted Anaogue-Digital-Analogue, it has to be distorted to something that barely sounds musical, and then undistorted again, just to make the whole process actually work.
If you are talking about equilization manipulations yes I agree but so does Digital CDs of which I barely know technical details. will post more info in future.
It's a theory. I could add, too, that it is a much better theory for youngsters who can still hear mosquitoes, than it is for likes of aging old grumps like me. I wish I could turn up the treble on my amp!
My hearing may be worst than yours but we are just discussing assumed facts about digital & analogue which may guide newbies in making a choice.
I don't know that sound engineers were more painstaking years ago than they are now, or that that makes sense or nonsense of digitising them.
Music was great, and hunger for high fidelity was at its peak back then.
We can none of us have listened in the studio itself. What possible intrinsic value can there be in the fact that the lp was mixed, mastered and manufactured within a few months of a concert, rather than thirty years later? As per my eulogy, I love my LPs, for what they are are, for their history, for their worn covers --- just as I might love a book for the same reasons. It has little to do with the sound.
Improvements in audio engineering did not stop then. All the reproductions that we bought, or buy now, are reproductions: none of them is intrinsically any more "original" simply by virtue of age.
Intrinsic value would be ....
Since (1) Ordinary ADC wont do the job (2) and If you love vinyls both points you have agreed upon, then why not give it a shot ?

Regards :)

Last edited:
Wouldn't you call converting an analogue signal in to digital wihich involves sampling and compression spoiling ?
No, I wouldn't and yes I would!

I'll be honest, and say that I am not a perfectionist, on top of the fact that age and misuse has made any attention to the upper figure of speaker/headphone/etc frequency ranges sadly useless anyway, but I am confident that some of our members, who put hours of work into digital archiving, will get results that will be very challenging to the best of ears. They will be looking for the lowest noise floor and the biggest possible dynamic range; they may well be considering factors that are beyond their hearing*; they will certainly not be compressing in the audio-engineering sense of the word, and nor will they be compressing in the lossy sense for file storage.

Venkat? Any experience? Anyone else with good ears, good equipment, and direct experience of critical listening to the result of digitising vinyl?

Even so, I've mentioned that I am not happy with my current results! But the problem, I am fairly certain, is at the phono-pre-amp stage: an analogue, not a digital problem. That is: I am not happy with what I am hearing, regardless of whether or not I am [digitally] recording it.

I don't use an ordinary ADC. I progressed, as quickly as I could afford, from built-in audio, to add-in card, to a more expensive add-in card, to a pro-manufacturer card. As I have mentioned often, with regard to PC analogue-out, this card, at a fraction of the price, put my 600-GBP Cyrus CD player in the shade. Of course, this is a digital/digital comparison: it is not direct evidence in the D/A controversy. You can easily find my particular prejudices... however unfair it may be, I'll never buy a soundblaster card because of how awful they were decades ago, and I am deeply suspicious of the word "Audiophile" printed on the box, because the pro manufacturers/buyers just aren't interested in labels like that.

Much of what you say involves huge assumptions, both regarding the recording of the music in the first place, and regarding what might happen if we shift it to a different media.

I think we should try to recognise subjectivity, and our own prejudices, although I freely admit that success in that will always be limited (errr... subectively recognizing our subjectivity? ;)). Even having recognised, we are still free to enjoy. I enjoy owning something that says RME or Echo on the box rather than Creative or Asus. I recognise that much of that may be prejudice on my part ... but it is also part of my personal buying/ownership pleasure, and I do not have to give that up!

I don't know if I will ever move my CD collection to hard disk. I'm too lazy --- although, of course, it would be a mere copy exercise compared to digitising vinyl. Despite being a keen member of the site, frankly, I prefer my music in the concert hall, and don't listen that much at home. Still, I am doing something today, with the music that I do have on hdd, that can't be done with vinyl: sending a copy on a portable disk to be kept elsewhere :)

Since (1) Ordinary ADC wont do the job (2) and If you love vinyls both points you have agreed upon, then why not give it a shot ?
Since we are not talking about using ordinary ADCs ... suggest that, sometime, you give it a shot! You might be pleasantly surprised, and you also might consider it, if not as a day-to-day listening medium, as a backup archive of the fragile physical medium. :) I would never think of suggesting that you should give up your vinyl experience.

It's very like another discussion: somebody was saying they would like to move to Linux, but for this that and the other reason, could not. My answer was that they do not have move to Linux, but can invite it to move in next door, and get all the experience they need or want. The digital/analogue question is equally not black and white, nor right or wrong.

We started off with speaker cables, and have travelled, backwards through the system from there, to a spirited conversation on sources! :eek:hyeah:

*I have considered a couple of things like this. eg "reversing out" the noise that is present in "silence" --- but it is inaudible anyway, unless amplified by a huge amount, and doing the same to the between-tracks rumble that I sometimes hear, but, again, it is inaudible during the music. There's another of Ethan Winer's on-line articles, where he demonstrates, with samples, how a horrible noise is easily masked by music. He then progressively increases the level of the noise, so we can find out when it does become audible. Whilst this may vary for different people, it is still a very reality-based approach to audio. I find that very instructive.

Last edited:
Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 10 (Mariinsky Orchestra/Gergiev) Gramophone Editor's Choice: Mariinsky Orchestra, Dmitri Shostakovich, Valery Gergiev: Amazon.co.uk: Music

The best recording I have at the moment. Released by The Mariinsky Theatre's personal label. Needs an SACD player to really shine.

Amazon.com: Shostakovich: Symphony No. 15 / Sonata No.2: Dmitri Shostakovich, Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra, Emil Gilels: Music

A red book 'high performance' CD with superb clarity and dynamics.

It is difficult to set a volume for Shostakovich's symphonies. At times you can barely hear the orchestra and an instant late there is an explosion of sound. Any source, analogue or digital, which can handle both the high's and lows, of Dmitri Shostakovich's 15 symphonies, with refinement and clarity is a good source. Personally I feel that a post Mahler (1885-) symphony reveals the pedigree of a source better than any other genre of music.

Play LOUD!

Gergiev's Maxim Gun - YouTube

ajayji, how would u rate Flipkart.com: Shostakovich: Concertos; Orchestral Suites; Chamber Symphonies [Box Set]: Music: Audio CD 2006? does it contain what you suggest, since these are not available locally? i am considering going for Shostakovich blindly on your recco.

I'll be honest, and say that I am not a perfectionist
me too not a perfectionist. As Salvador Dali has said "Don't be afraid of perfection, you will never reach it." (<This is for digital guys who want to build a perfect system :D.)
Venkat? Any experience? Anyone else with good ears, good equipment, and direct experience of critical listening to the result of digitising vinyl?
But that will need subjective inputs to be posted which are not allowed in this thread :sad:. What I am saying and am willing to change my views is that while converting from analogue to digital specially vinyls there might be some trade offs involved. From original source material to SACD I can understand but vinyl to cds or original source to standard CDs I have my doubts.

Back to the main point of discussion. The point I am making is ... 1) if you enjoy spinning vinyls. 2) if you are not lazy, which some may say is convenience :D. and... most important 3) if you believe some or major part of music you like is on vinyl and there are no SACDs or very well mastered CDs from original source .... go for the vinyls. And if budget permits listen to both.

hifiashok

This 9 CD box was released by Decca in 2006 and contains old, remastered recordings of his lighter compositions, film and ballet music, piano, violin and cello concertos. It does not include his symphonies or string quartets. A good set but perhaps not the best place to begin with. Although the first CD on this set has light 'jazz' music which is truly spectacular.

I am posting more information on the Buying Western Classical thread, in order to avoid diverting attention from the weighty issues being hotly debated on this thread :)

Good going as of now and plenty of debates healthily.:)

I request murali_n to get involved in this thread who is actively involved in converting his LP's into digital media:)

This was first done quite a few years ago. It was prohibitively expensive then; I wonder how it will be now?

Deserves discussion in a more specific thread :)

Reading a little further, I smell cow ... quite apart from the straightforward lie at the top of the page: it has been done before. Maybe its a mistake; anyway, it is inaccurate*.

Prices ... sheesh! Although I suppose people easily pay this for TTs or CDPs

*Oh, it seems they have been around a few years, so maybe they were the original inventors of the technology, in which case... I apologise!

Last edited:

I don't know if I will ever move my CD collection to hard disk. I'm too lazy --- although, of course, it would be a mere copy exercise compared to digitising vinyl.

No Thad, I hav not converted any Vinyl personally, though I do use a lot of music that, I believe, have been converted from Vinyl. I have heard a few 24/96 recording, and I eager to get my hands on a few 24/192 recording.

I have converting all my music slowly and steadily to PC. I listen to music only from my PC and harddisk. I have expromented with two DAC - Arcam's rDAC, and Emotiva's XDA-1. I will be writing a review of both.

I have also heard a Thorens TT output, amplified by Parasound, into Sonus Faber and a lot of other speakers. I will see if I can do a same song comparison on day.

Cheers

Last edited:
Ah, that Scoutmaster is soo desirable :)

Rather it is the VPI Classic which is the star of the VPI line up.
In this video though what you are hearing is the magic of ZYX cartridge. Just outstanding Rhythm and Timing. No other cartridge does it better.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back