TS+ increased recording hours

filmguy

i observed this a few weeks back but didnt see any confirmation to that effect on the website or forums but now its confirmed - tata sky+ has increased their hard drives' recording limit from 45hrs to 90hrs :clapping:
i guess they changed their compression settings?
means now we can let shows be there on the hdd longer.. mine was always getting full;)
just wish they improved their PQ some more...maybe 720p:rolleyes:

i observed this a few weeks back but didnt see any confirmation to that effect on the website or forums but now its confirmed - tata sky+ has increased their hard drives' recording limit from 45hrs to 90hrs :clapping:
i guess they changed their compression settings?
means now we can let shows be there on the hdd longer.. mine was always getting full;)
just wish they improved their PQ some more...maybe 720p:rolleyes:

Yep you are right...their new firmware update contains better compression of the recorded encrypted file :)

how do we get firmware updates?

(As I am told by insider) The firmwares are pushed to your STB by a TS scheduler service...you cannot/neednot do anything about it...it will come to your STB when your turn comes in the scheduled PUSH :)

More details...

As of now Tata sky provides only Mpeg2 services,the recorded files will also be in Mpeg2 only,but it will compress and save it in mpeg4 mode. Now with the recent software upgrade,the STB is able to save the recorded contents in mpeg4 format,thus compressing the recorded mpeg2 files to mpeg4 format thus using less space and increase recordable hours.

Are you saying the tata sky boxes have encoders ??

Can someone guess the average bitrate of a service ?
Why guess when we have you?:)

Just curious, is it possible to upgrade the 180 GB HDD to higher in the TS+ receiver? Will this void warranty?

Also, I heard from the TS+ installer that the Thomson box is better than the Humax one? Is this true and in what way?

Last edited:
I think it would be around 5 mbps since it is MPEG2, and will be 5-10 mbps for HD.

Even if you change the hard disk, you will have issues of HDD format partition, these numbers are controlled by the software.
There are other systems coming up, where the user can connect their external HDD and use it for all DVR functionalities (isnt this cool, less cost for the STB and those who want DVR feature can pay for HDD and get it).

With the 160 GB, Tata sky might have increased the user area now, the other area of the disk will be used to send some content from tata sky, which you can watch when ever you want ( you might need to pay to watch that, so it will be like showcase, but you can watch it whenever you want like VOD).

Thomson, Humax : Some difference might be there, but it is difficult to observe, I am not sure on the differences.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back