TT for beginner - Need advice

I am also looking for a amplifier+speaker setup to go for my vinyl set (Rega P5) for a 13 feet X 22 feet hall. I will post my impressions about pmc speakers soon (as currently i am out of station). I am seriously considering pmc + leben setup.

>>>
Have you considered single driver cross over less speakers? I was impressed with the review of the Omega speakers, especially in conjunction with Don Garber's all valve SET components.

Re. Bengali LPs, any pointers to buying Rabindrasangeet?
Enjoy your rig.
Regards

Sorry Issigonis for my late response. I first started my speaker audition with Single driver speakers of Viren ji. They sounded very intimate and have good bass. But, I couldn't grow my taste for Single driver due to truncated top end frequency. Among single driver speakers I also listened Rethm Sadhana, Omega.

So you can call me a 2-way guy. I am hoping to get good experience with Tannoy Turnberry (with coaxial tweeter) plus an external super tweeter (upto 54 kHz). I hope to get intimate, airy and full range presentation.

Are you fond of RabindraSangeet? My favourite also. There were good artists of Rabindrasangeet - Hemanta Mukhopadhayay, Subinoy Roy, Suchitra Mitra, Sumitra Sen, Sagar Sen, Chinmoy Chattopadhyay, Ritu Guha, Debbrata Biswas etc. I have LPs of these artists. If you can follow Bengali language, please try to get 'A Legends of Glory - Vol 1-4' by Hemanta Mukhopadhyay. The vol-2 has all hit songs of Sukanta Bhattacharya poems and Salil Choudhury's tune. Superb.

Last edited:
Sorry Issigonis for my late response. There were good artists of Rabindrasangeet - Hemanta Mukhopadhayay, Subinoy Roy, Suchitra Mitra, Sumitra Sen, Sagar Sen, Chinmoy Chattopadhyay, Ritu Guha, Debbrata Biswas etc. I have LPs of these artists. If you can follow Bengali language, please try to get 'A Legends of Glory - Vol 1-4' by Hemanta Mukhopadhyay. Superb.

>>>

No issues.

I have Legends of Glory Vol I, I think. I like almost all the singers that you have quoted, plus the great Kanika Bandopadhyay and the more recent Arundhati Home-Chowdhury. Any pointers to buying Rabindrasangeet LPs? In Calcutta?

I can then ask some of my friends to help me out by going out and buying them for me.

I have no clue about modern Bengali songs (Shyamal Mitra is modern to me since I listened to his songs when I was a kid, and I am completely out of touch with contemporary Bengali music anyway).

Regards

>>>

No issues.

I have Legends of Glory Vol I, I think. I like almost all the singers that you have quoted, plus the great Kanika Bandopadhyay and the more recent Arundhati Home-Chowdhury. Any pointers to buying Rabindrasangeet LPs? In Calcutta?

I can then ask some of my friends to help me out by going out and buying them for me.

I have no clue about modern Bengali songs (Shyamal Mitra is modern to me since I listened to his songs when I was a kid, and I am completely out of touch with contemporary Bengali music anyway).

Regards

If you have friend willing to do a bit leg work at Kolkata, you may request him to visit Wellington Square-Dharamtala area around Chandni chak. There are no. of old record shops. I generally purchase from Mashuk, whose shop is in Kamalalaya Market ground floor.

Regarding Bengali modern songs LPs you may try the following artists:
Hemanta Mukhopadhyay
Lata Mangeshkar
Arati Mukhopadhyay
Asha Bhonsle
Pratima Bandopadhyay
Tarun Bandopadhyay
Shyamal Mitra
Kishor Kumar
Manna Dey
Bhupen Hazarika
Sandhya Mukhopadhyay
Manabendra Mukhopadhyay
Nirmala Mishra

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back