TT for beginner - Need advice

Hi Issigonis

No issues on what you have shortlisted. The Cello is a very good tt as is your choice of other components. Instead of the Trigon integrated, you could probably consider the Leben 300 if tubes still interest you. I think it will sound very good with Blumenhofer

i did hear it with my leben, the speaker somehow preferred the SS Trigon amp as the music was a bit too slow with the Leben. It was a surprise to both Jochen and me as we both expected it to sound different !
i would suspect the redwine to sound good , but decision to be taken only after an audition of the combo

issignosis, stick with jochen's suggestion... i dont think that the redwine works in the sequence... (no offences Prem, it just don't)....

Last edited:
>>>
Had a satisfying trip and a nice audition at TLR Bangalore.
Jochen recommends the Cello, Jelco arm, DL 103, the Trigon Vanguard phono, Trigon Integrated amp, with either the Blumenhofer big Fun 17 or the Genuin FS 4.2 along with WSS Silver Line cables. Discussed the rack, the RCM and the record weight too with him.
Am currently trying to design the rack before finalising with Jochen. Messaged fellow forum member Asit for his latest feedback on his Cello.

How is your rig doing?

Any inputs on picking up Hindustani. Classical LPs ( both vocal & instrumental)?

Regards
issigonis

My rig is sounding good. Although the phonostage has been used so far around 15 hours only, not yet fully broken in. Actually, nowadays my listening of music is stopped due to my son's exams.

My Hindustani Classical LPs are around 14-15 only. Off late the availability of Classical LPs have trickled down. However, recently picked up about 70 Bengali LPs. They are yet to be cleaned and listened.

Meanwhile, have started to think for upgradation of my speaker to Tannoy Turnberry. Waiting for the fresh lot of Tannoy Prestige series speakers to reach the distributor in India - may be around May-Jun'12. Somehow, I think that bigger driver speaker will be more enjoyable with Vinyl. Also, the high sensitivity of Tannoy Turnberry will make my amp comparatively happy.

Regards

Last edited:
issignosis, stick with jochen's suggestion... i dont think that the redwine works in the sequence... (no offences Prem, it just don't)....

>>>
Manav,
That's an interesting observation. Do we have any Sig 15 installations here in India where we can listen to get the Red Wine Audio house sound? The reviews of the Sig 15 seem tempting, given its lower price point. In fact I was thinking of opening the possibility of the Sig 15 with the Omega Super 8 Alnico XRS speakers, which are again at a lower price point re. the Blumenhofers. Your and prem's views welcome! So are those who can provide the insight.
Regards

My rig is sounding good. Although the phonostage has been used so far around 15 hours only, not yet fully broken in. Actually, nowadays my listening of music is stopped due to my son's exams.

My Hindustani Classical LPs are around 14-15 only. Off late the availability of Classical LPs have trickled down. However, recently picked up about 70 Bengali LPs. They are yet to be cleaned and listened.

Meanwhile, have started to think for upgradation of my speaker to Tannoy Turnberry. Waiting for the fresh lot of Tannoy Prestige series speakers to reach the distributor in India - may be around May-Jun'12. Somehow, I think that bigger driver speaker will be more enjoyable with Vinyl. Also, the high sensitivity of Tannoy Turnberry will make my amp comparatively happy.

Regards

>>>
Have you considered single driver cross over less speakers? I was impressed with the review of the Omega speakers, especially in conjunction with Don Garber's all valve SET components.

Re. Bengali LPs, any pointers to buying Rabindrasangeet?
Enjoy your rig.
Regards

Regards

Now I wonder who was behind that choice ;)

Awesome..looking to hear more on this

Hi Malvai

Just curious, why do you think it will not work with Redwine Sig 15? I have had the Redwine Sig 30 and it worked very well with the Rethms. The Redwine because of battery power brings a lot to the table. I know of a person who uses the Redwine with their Avant Gardes and is extremely happy. Anything above 90-92 db, its comfortable driving. There are enough users with 90db+ speakers on the RWA forum

In fact a Trigon phono stage with battery and a RWA Sig 15 will get you more or less out of the power grid. That will bring in a lot of benefits.

Hi Malvai

You may have a point. The speakers Issigonis is considering are 91db sensitive. Its only the bigger ones in the Blumenhofer chain that are 95db+

Hi Malvai

You may have a point. The speakers Issigonis is considering are 91db sensitive. Its only the bigger ones in the Blumenhofer chain that are 95db+

you nailed it bro... and btw, I have heard the redwine with a pair of Avantgarde Duo... didn't really like the pairing... bit of a let down.

I would not suspect power to ?be an issue with any of the blumenhofers..they were pretty loud at 11:00 position in Jochens Gigantic Room.
I believe they will do pretty well with neutral/punchy amps..the RWA may be worth a try with them

Last edited:
Hi Malvai

>>>
The Blumenhofer big Fun 17 has an efficiency of ~91 dB with an RMS value of 100 W. Crossover frequency is at 1500 Hz.
Regards

Hi Guys,

I know nothing about turntables, I have never been into it, but recently I can see lots of people starting to buy LP and some say it sounds better than CD. However my question is, I see in most of the posts, people say they want to buy turntable , tonearm, catridge, Im just wondering would the LP not come with a tonearm and catridge ?

Thanks,
Sunder.

how much does the tannoy Turnberry cost in INR?
and where can one hear it?

As my knowledge goes the MRP of Tannoy Turnberry in India is Rs. 2.75 Lac. If you want to hear in Delhi, you may have to wait till May-Jun'12. Although there is one proud owner of Tannoy Turnberry (paired with Krell amp) at Delhi, but requesting an unknown person for listening his speaker is somehow, I am not comfortable with. So I shall wait till May-Jun'12.

i did hear it with my leben, the speaker somehow preferred the SS Trigon amp as the music was a bit too slow with the Leben. It was a surprise to both Jochen and me as we both expected it to sound different !
i would suspect the redwine to sound good , but decision to be taken only after an audition of the combo

I have also listened Blumenhofer Fun17 with Leben 300xs. They sounded slightly laid back and bit devoid of energy. SS Trigon amp is better match with Blumenhofer Fun17. I don't know, whether I will have similar experience with Tannoy Turnberry also. I have to listen Tannoy Turnbery with my Leben amp. The sensitivity of 93 db of Turnberry though is higher than 91 of Fun17.

As my knowledge goes the MRP of Tannoy Turnberry in India is Rs. 2.75 Lac. If you want to hear in Delhi, you may have to wait till May-Jun'12. Although there is one proud owner of Tannoy Turnberry (paired with Krell amp) at Delhi, but requesting an unknown person for listening his speaker is somehow, I am not comfortable with. So I shall wait till May-Jun'12.

I am curious to know why you are not considering pmc tb2i. I read in one of the earlier postings that it mates very well with leben.

I had the good fortune of hearing to some higher end pmc models in Mumbai, this month - thank to Mr. Khusrau. I was very impressed with those speakers and I intend to post my impressions on them.
Manoj

how much does the tannoy turnberry cost in INR?
and where can one hear it?

2.9L for Turnberry @ Absolute Sound, Surat. I think the distributor is from Delhi, not sure if listening will be possible there. Do speak to Amit. I think he's done lots of groundwork.

FYI, Stirling is 2.48L. Glenair 10 inch is 2.72L I think.

If these are the Indian prices, they are indeed very good considering international prices!

I am curious to know why you are not considering pmc tb2i. I read in one of the earlier postings that it mates very well with leben.

I had the good fortune of hearing to some higher end pmc models in Mumbai, this month - thank to Mr. Khusrau. I was very impressed with those speakers and I intend to post my impressions on them.
Manoj

PMC Tb2i is definitely one good match with Leben 300xs. But after listening to a no. of vinyl set ups at various HFV members at Gurgaon, Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata I somehow feel that bigger driver makes the vinyl sound more relaxing and enjoying. Earlier, my choice was limited to bookshelf speakers due to my smallish room, but now I feel that floor standers also can be tried. Tannoy Turnberry is till now a probability only. Final view can be taken only after audition.

Which are the TMC speakers you auditioned at Mumbai? Please post your impressions, may be through a separate thread.
Regards

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back