TT for beginner - Need advice

The Leben Phonostage is completely out of my budget specially after the recent appreciation of Yen. The cart, which I have now is Denon DL-160, which is a high output MC cart with 1.6 mV+ output. Lyrita phone (without step-up transformer) could produce decent sound level at around 9 o-clock position even with my 15 WPC Leben amp and low sensitivity Usher BE-718 speaker. I may go for an used Lyrita Phono to start with.

What's the output level of your RR cart? similar to DL-103 or lower?

How is the Lehman Audio Blackcube phonostage sound signature? Slightly Warmish Neutral? What about its dynamics? May please share your impression.

The Lehmann Audio Black Cube Phonostage is a very good for the money. I do not have experience trying out other phonostages in my system except the Project Phonobox and also the phonostage of my NAD 1020a preamp. But from speaking to some serious Vinyl enthusiasts, I gather it is a giant killer. I am using it with a low output MC cartridge (Ortofon Rondo Red) and am happy with the gain on it, the Project in comparison had very low gain and I had to listen to it in 2'o clock position (on my Adcom 200wpc amp) to get the required SPL that I am comfortable with (~50 to 60dB) that I now get at 10'o clock position.

This is a good review on the Lehmann Audio Black Cube:
Phono preamp Lehmann Audio Black Cube [English]

Amit, you should re-consider the Leben phonostage since you have the Leben integrated amp :).

Hi Amit, you can also look at the Graham Slee and Jolida phonos. Lehmann should be a good option too.

Regards.

That's one on my to hear list. Pretty sure ain't gonna happen here in india though :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would be Trigon Vanguard2 phono with Michell Gyrodec SE TT and Denon DL-160 cart? It is available in India. Highly versatile phono stage provides sixteen different gain settings (from 42dB - 62 dB) and thirty-one load settings (33 Ohms - 47kOhms). Easily configured for virtually any cartridge. On search seen in one review in TNT.audio.com, it says:
'This Trigon is a strange animal. It sounds immensely enjoyable, bouncy and involving, with its rather uniquely highlighted rhythms and forceful dynamics. The tonal balance is too dark and lush to be really neutral, but at least this ensures a sweet and relaxed listening, never marred by any nasties. I still liked this unit a lot, and this phonostage may well inject a bit of a Linn LP-12 style of drama into some systems. '
So, Trigon Vanguard-2 is warm and not really neutral. Any A-B comparison of it with Trigon Advance?

Last edited:
Finally ordered Trigon Advance. It may have some comparative limitation in gain (upto 62 db) than other MC Phono with 70 db gain. But the sound of Trigon Vanguard2, which I have listened was liked by me. Going for 'Advance' model, though blind.

Last edited:
Congratulations Amit. You started later than me, but have now gone ahead with the selection of the phono. I am still with my budget phono, but will upgrade after we move to the new home and can save up some money.

Regards

Finally ordered Trigon Advance. It may have some comparative limitation in gain (upto 62 db) than other MC Phono with 70 db gain. But the sound of Trigon Vanguard2, which I have listened was liked by me. Going for 'Advance' model, though blind.

advance goes upto 60db "only" while the vanguard goes upto 62.
but these are theoretical as this is more than enough unless you are running a really low output cart.
Great Buy ;)

@arj: have u heard the Scheu Classic II 12" arm? if yes, how does it compare to the one that you have bought?

i am looking for a good 12" option for my 401.

Hey malvai, to be honest I have never really compared the 2 together in the same system..and for someone who is still not as discerning a listener in Analogue as You are and as Dr Bass has become, i find it very difficult to isolate the tonearm performance.

But from what I have heard it is definitely something which has performed admirably with a Scheu premier and an EMT TSD cartridge. hence for its cost its a definite Thumbs up.
There is a romance/magic in the simplicity of a Unipivot arm and if i had really known about it would have gone for it instead of the Thomas Schick I have today !
Hope that helps ?

Hey malvai, to be honest I have never really compared the 2 together in the same system..and for someone who is still not as discerning a listener in Analogue as You are and as Dr Bass has become, i find it very difficult to isolate the tonearm performance.

But from what I have heard it is definitely something which has performed admirably with a Scheu premier and an EMT TSD cartridge. hence for its cost its a definite Thumbs up.
There is a romance/magic in the simplicity of a Unipivot arm and if i had really known about it would have gone for it instead of the Thomas Schick I have today !
Hope that helps ?

Arj, I am hardly 6 months into analogue listening, still without a TT. Please dont add me to the "discerning" list:eek:.

However I agree that tonearm is the most difficult component to discern. I think it is more about which tonearm suits which table rather than which tonearm is better in many situations.

IMO get a SME 3012 S2 with ATA mods and you should have a great setup.

Frustration sets in with the passing days.. The Trigon Advance phono is stuck at Frankfurt Airport due to strike call by Ground staff, which is continuing almost since a week. As per news, the strike is expected to be called off by Wednesday.

Meanwhile, going to purchase about 60 old hindi movie LPs from used market. Loking for some used English LPs also.

Sorry about the delay Amit. I visited TLR last week and the Trigon monoblocks and preamp are also delayed for the same reason. Hopefully, you will receive the shipment soon!

Good news. The Trigon Advance phonostage reached Bangalore and waiting for Customs clearance.

But even after getting the same here at Noida, I will not be able to listen much because my younger son's class 12 exam is going to start from 1st March'12. I have to show patience for about a month.

Good news. The Trigon Advance phonostage reached Bangalore and waiting for Customs clearance.

But even after getting the same here at Noida, I will not be able to listen much because my younger son's class 12 exam is going to start from 1st March'12. I have to show patience for about a month.

awwwwwwww! that's sad...

lend it to me! !!!!!

align your listening sessions with his breaks.

Yesterday went to Bass & Treble Gurgaon to pick up my SVS sub for HT. Their new showroom is better located with more space compared to their Dwarka showroom. One has to take left turn through Exit-8 after crossing the Toll Plaza. It is hardly 500 M away after taking turn through Exit-8 and the showroom is in Main Road Market (Basement). The board can be seen from the very front - Very convenient. :)

Denny with his usual warmth welcomed and offered audition of his new Audiophile brand Ascendo speaker from Germany. I went straight from my office, so unprepared without any CDs. But just to listen to the tonality and sound signature of the speaker, I merrily entered to his demo room. The Ascendo floor stander C-6 (a new model, spec is not available yet) was in pure white glossy finish, different from the usual colour of speakers (generally black or wood veneer) . It was very slim with very small form factor with Cocentric drivers and front ported.

The associated gears were Bryston 4B SST Power amp with Manley tube Pre and Audio Analogue CDP. The interconnect was from VDH and speaker wires used was Cardas. The room size was about 11ft x 18 ft without much of room treatment. The speakers were placed around 7-8 ft apart with approx. 2.5 ft space behind from the wall.

First I have listened vocal from Chesky sample disk. I didn't remember the singer name. But I must say, the performance and reproduction of her voice was intimate and brilliant.

Next was 'Hidden Gems' by Kalpana Zokarkar. Her voice was found slightly upfront but Tabla and other instruments were organic sounding with just right warmth even with SS power amp. The Imaging and soundstage was very good and singer seemed to be sitting just in front.

Then Denny put a B&W sample disc and I listened to some drum track - awesome. The sound separation and impact was clear and treat to ears.

Then we listened a piece of Western classical. I must say the speaker handled it very well. The quick transients were presented perfectly without any mudding and with brilliant soundstage. The coaxial driver helped in fantastic imaging like a full range driver.

Overall, the speaker is quite good and will be adored in approx. 200 sq.ft room size matching with good electronics. I have a plan to listen once again pairing with low powered tube amp becuase although their sensitivity is around 88, they are easy load as told by Mr. Sarath of Audire. In fact he had requested me to listen Ascendo while picking up the SVS sub from Bass & Treble.

Now back to the topic of TT/Phono. I will visit Bangalore this Saturday and pick up the Trigon Advance phono from TLR. Also, I am eagerly waiting for my audition of Blumenhofer Fun17 to happen with Leben cs300, which Jochen is trying to arrange from one of his customer.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back