TT for beginner - Need advice

Sharing some more photos of the TT through Flickr

Flickr: AMITNOIDA's Photostream
76055147@N06

Regards

Amit, not just the TT, but the whole setup is looking awesome. The bed box looks like it was made to be an AV cabinet, but was working as a bed. Like Akshay in CCTC.

How is it sounding? When is the listening session gathering at your place :)

Can the cabinet boxes work as a sound box and start adding to the audio being played on speakers?

Beautiful turntable - if you had not picked it up, I surely would have. At the price it was advertised, it was the deal of the century :).

Amit,
Sorry for the following OT. Perhaps you should open a new thread on the following.

What happened to your audition with the Zu bookshelf speakers? Did you hear them? One speaker that may work well with the Leben CS300XS is the Tannoy Glenair 10. I have heard these (unfortunately with an amp I am not terribly fond of) and I liked these (despite the amp), I think, although I must say that I had to guess the sound signature because of the amp it was paired with. The speakers in that combination
were not as clean or as lively as I'd like them to be. They are not cheap either. One reason for the suggestions is that on the net I find many people pairing the Leben with these. If possible, please audition with your amp. But then, many people think Leben and Harbeth are a match made in heaven - I just simply disagree, because the strengths of Leben are mostly muted in the Harbeth combination I heard. I would be interested to hear your impressions.

Regards.

Last edited:
superb amitnoida!
i am back in town now, and will call you up and come over.

and yes, please do share your experience of the Zu with all of us.

Hi,

please do share your experience of the Zu with all of us.

Amit, please also share your experience with the ATC's you listened to at the dealer's place in Madras.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Amit, don't know about the Glenair 10, but EL84 tubes and Tannoys sing together.I used my Leak TL12+(el84) amps with my Tannoy IIILZ (10 inch Monitor Golds) and the music was heavenly.

One speaker that may work well with the Leben CS300XS is the Tannoy Glenair 10. I have heard these (unfortunately with an amp I am not terribly fond of) and I liked these (despite the amp), I think, although I must say that I had to guess the sound signature because of the amp it was paired with.

The joys/magic of the big Tannoy dual concentric speakers are being discovered by quite a few people.

http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=2062

Jim Smith was once an ardent Avantgarde speaker fan.He rightly says while writing about the big Tannoys, in one of his posts on AA

You forget about the technical stuff and the music just speaks to you

Regards

Rajiv

Thanks Asit, Rajiv, Anant, ROC, Sachin, Himadri, Dranil, Sachu888, Manav for your opinions and good words. Yes, I am happy with the TT.

First I want to convey my special thanks to Rajiv for his marvelous hospitality at Chennai and in-person guidance at Mr. V.Shankar's place while dismantling and packing the TT. Rajiv is one of the finest persons seen in my life, very passionate with music and gears. My son and myself liked his system a lot. His 15" Driver Altec speakers with super horn was first seemd to be overkill for his music room size (around 11' x 10'). But once he played the first LP, there was not even a single hint of over-kill. He optimised his speaker to the best possible way and tamed his room. The mid range was to die for, the bass was absolute tight and high frequency was spot on without any hints of brightness. Oh, yes we also heard the difference in sound and its impact of the tweak of inverted glass goblet besides the TT and so on. Although, I earlier came to know about the same at David's home at Mumbai, when I went for audition of his Bluenote TT(which I was thinking to purchase but somehow didn't materialise).

Also, I am very thankful to Viren ji. What a gentleman he is. He came to my place with his Lyrita Phono amp and set up my TT. Not only this, he is so experienced that he sensed the requirement of Bearing oil and brought the same. I am really thankful to him.

I am happy that with my Sony DSC60 point & shoot camera I could capture few glimpses of the beautiful Michell Gyrodec SE TT. The natural Sunlight, which comes in abundance in my drawing room helped me to capture few lively shots.

I am fortunate to hear few speakers like Harbeth, Zu and ATC. They are all acclaimed speakers. But the tonality and sound signature of any speaker is the first thing which either attract me or repulse me. Drivability and SS or Valve electronics etc. comes later, at least to me.

Zu speakers could not attract me due to their tonality towards bright and bloated sound. It is my personal opinion. Their Bookshelf speaker is a sealed design and sensitivity is comparatively lower (at around 92) among the Zu speakers. Due to their sensitivity my 15 watt Leben could drive them easily, but my ears and heart could not be pleased. The speaker wire used was copper, as told by Mr. Jasdeep. Then we changed the speaker to Zu Super Soul Fly, very acclaimed speaker world-wide. I had high expectation. The speaker has astounding sensitivity of 101 db and my amp could produce loud SL in his large hall with big soundstage. The sound became better defined compared to the bookshelf. Somehow, I had feeling that the speaker wire is to be changed and see the impact. Jasdeep has a pair of Zu speaker wire, which he put then. The sound improved noticeably. The midrange was better. But somehow, the super tweeter sounded brighter to my taste. The involving tweeter of BE-718, which I am used to was not available. I expected that bass should be tight with the floorstander. But I was not satisfied to the expected level. One thing I felt that the speakers may not be fully burnt in. Zu is an American brand and is a successful brand there. Whether average American like forward sounding speakers? But my recent experience of listening the Meridian active (another US brand) speakers did not sound forward. I am not experienced and my ears are not that much trained. So, I put my impression in simple way, which I realise through my heart.

Regards

Last edited:
I am happy that with my Sony DSC60 point & shoot camera I could capture few glimpses of the beautiful Michell Gyrodec SE TT. The natural Sunlight, which comes in abundance in my drawing room helped me to capture few lively shots.
Amit, Congrats on the legendary Gyrodec. Please do share these pics with us for us to enjoy:licklips:.

I am fortunate to hear few speakers like Harbeth, Zu and ATC. They are all acclaimed speakers. But the tonality and sound signature of any speaker is the first thing which either attract me or repulse me. Drivability and SS or Valve electronics etc. comes later, at least to me.
Amit,
I read about the Harbeth in link below but you am eager to know your view on the ATCs. Which ATCs did you listen to in Chenai? Please share pricing info as well. TIA:).

A sunday afternoon with harbeth & leben

@Santosh,
Please see the posting no. 202 in this thread. There I have provided the link to the Photo gallery in Flickr.

The ATC speaker audition experience I will try to post shortly.

You have LA Black Cube Phono Stage. May please share your opinion and specially the max gain.

Regards

Last edited:
I dont know what the hype around the Zu is all about !!
I heard the Soul superfly and it is strictly an average speaker. Highly bloated, colored, lethargic are the words that comes to my mind. It was not even forward sounding like a typical American speaker (Klipsch, Polk Audio). It was rather boring.

Congrats Amit for acquiring a great TT,

i bought DENON DL 160 cart from shankar , and is sounding great

i just wanted to check with you, how is the sound with your TT

Cheers

Tanoj

Congrats Amit for acquiring a great TT,

i bought DENON DL 160 cart from shankar , and is sounding great

i just wanted to check with you, how is the sound with your TT

Cheers

Tanoj

Congrats Tanoj for purchasing Denon DL-160 cart. I could listen only 2 LPs with my TT using Mr. Viren's Lyrita phonostage. I am yet to purchase a phonostage. But the small listening was very good. Viren ji advised to use this cart for at least 2 years before further upgrading. The look of the cart is beautiful in blue colour. The tracking with my old LPs was also marvelous without any jump / slip.

@Santosh,
Please see the posting no. 202 in this thread. There I have provided the link to the Photo gallery in Flickr.

The ATC speaker audition experience I will try to post shortly.

You have LA Black Cube Phono Stage. May please share your opinion and specially the max gain.

Regards
The Lehmann Audio Black Cube Phonostage is a very good for the money. I do not have experience trying out other phonostages in my system except the Project Phonobox and also the phonostage of my NAD 1020a preamp. But from speaking to some serious Vinyl enthusiasts, I gather it is a giant killer. I am using it with a low output MC cartridge (Ortofon Rondo Red) and am happy with the gain on it, the Project in comparison had very low gain and I had to listen to it in 2'o clock position (on my Adcom 200wpc amp) to get the required SPL that I am comfortable with (~50 to 60dB) that I now get at 10'o clock position.

This is a good review on the Lehmann Audio Black Cube:
Phono preamp Lehmann Audio Black Cube [English]

Amit, you should re-consider the Leben phonostage since you have the Leben integrated amp :).

The Lehmann Audio Black Cube Phonostage is a very good for the money. I do not have experience trying out other phonostages in my system except the Project Phonobox and also the phonostage of my NAD 1020a preamp. But from speaking to some serious Vinyl enthusiasts, I gather it is a giant killer. I am using it with a low output MC cartridge (Ortofon Rondo Red) and am happy with the gain on it, the Project in comparison had very low gain and I had to listen to it in 2'o clock position (on my Adcom 200wpc amp) to get the required SPL that I am comfortable with (~50 to 60dB) that I now get at 10'o clock position.

This is a good review on the Lehmann Audio Black Cube:
Phono preamp Lehmann Audio Black Cube [English]

Amit, you should re-consider the Leben phonostage since you have the Leben integrated amp :).
Hi Santhosh,
New DIY HTMC phonostage will surprise you ;)

Regards,
Sachin

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back