TT with Poweramp - How?

Mayank Shah

What would be the best way to connect a TT to Poweramp?. The idea is to use minimum gear as possible.

Hello @jls001 , well aware about the precedence. I was looking for something like the art dj pre 2 as @greenhorn mentioned. Was under the impression (which is very limited when it comes to TT) the phono stages do not come with volume control.

If you need input selection to support other inputs, then you are going into proper preamp territory
budget options i can think of - TCC TC-753 or 754 , Bellari PA550, but given your typical equipment spends, you can look into proper preamps like the emotiva PT100

Last edited:
A power amp runs full pelt at all times. If a power amp is rated at 26 or 29 db it is going to continuously amplify the input signal to this extreme.. So you definitely need a preamp some where in the chain, as even Phono preamps work at full pelt trying to amplify that 0.2V signal to atleast 2V for the preamp to work with. So a pre amp is the only one that will offer you a means of attenuation on the audio signal to control the volume. All the best :)

This might be a silly question. But why can’t poweramps come with volume control? Or is it that they’d then become integrated amps? So is a volume control all that preamps do (I don’t think so, preamps also do some sound processing don’t they?).

This may not answer your query Mayank, but in my CXN (a streamer DAC) there’s a mode which can be selected to use it for volume control and therefore directly connect to a power amp (I don’t use it as I like the interference of my tube pre). The art dj pre suggested by greenhorn sounds like an analogue analog :) of it.

I thought the Rega Elicit has a built in Phono ?
It does. Like I said. He's just being anal. He's got an excellent amp and speakers and now, a high quality DAC. Someone please tell him he doesn't need a power amp!

This might be a silly question. But why can’t poweramps come with volume control? Or is it that they’d then become integrated amps? So is a volume control all that preamps do (I don’t think so, preamps also do some sound processing don’t they?).
The line between a power amp and an integrated is a bit gray - but i think input selection is a definite no no for a power amp. Some of them do come with gain controls (technically different from a volume control) to fine tune things like channel imbalance, but not to be used as a day to day volume control.
Sound processing is not really needed. Input selection and volume control is enough - anything else is a feature

To add to what @greenhorn mentioned, it may be noted that traditionally the gain structure of an amplifier chain had been split between the preamp and power amp. Typically overall gain in the entire chain is 28-32 dB (give our take a few dBs here and there). The split could be anything like 6 dB in the preamp and 28 dB in the power, or 12 dB in the preamp and 20 in the power.

Most modern power amps have enough gain to not need any gain in the preamp stage. In fact most preamps simply throw away gain, i.e., they're only attenuating and not amplifying at all. This is the reason why one can successfully use unity gain buffers in place of full fledged preamps. Preamps usually contain a buffer stage.

There are power amps with volume control. They can be directly connected to a source. But preamps allow us to have multiple sources and a means to select a desired source.

Thanks to all. Yes, the Rega Elicit does have an inbuilt phono which I will will eventually end up using - (its brilliant actually). There is an option of using another amp, which doesn't have a phono. Hence the OP.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back