Tube amp on a budget - Affordable option for transformers?

santaji

Hi guys,

I am planning to build my first tube amp, either a hi-fi stereo amp or a mono guitar/bass amp.

Right now I am trying to decide which circuit to build based on the simplicity and parts availability, but one issue I am facing is the availability of the correct specification transformers for a reasonable price, as I have to build the amp on a tight budget.

Having checked the prices online, I found that although tubes and rest of the components are moderately priced, the transformers are costing around 5-6K for power transformers and over 10K for the output transformers. For example this Hammond model which is suggested for the guitar amp circuit is over 10K + shipping.

Hoping that you guys can suggest some more economical options, like any local sources for suitable used transformers, or if I can get them custom-made to the required specs?

I have also considered attempting to DIY the transformers using the formulas for calculating the windings, but could not find much information on what type of laminations, etc to use and where to source them...

My budget for the project is max around 25-30K, so would appreciate any suggestions on what will be a suitable circuit to build from an Indian standpoint in regards to parts availability ...

So far I am considering:
1. AX84 Project - with some modifications to use with bass guitar

2. This single ended KT88 circuit for stereo hi-fi amp by Blueglow Electronics on YouTube

3. Mullard 3-3 or 5-10

Santaji, As you are in Mumbai, you can go to Lamington Roadand contact Tomson transformer. He will built to your exact specifications.

Santaji, As you are in Mumbai, you can go to Lamington Roadand contact Tomson transformer. He will built to your exact specifications.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check with them. Can you please share their contact details or exact location on Lamington Road as I could not find on google.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check with them. Can you please share their contact details or exact location on Lamington Road as I could not find on google.
You can call +919664823263 and check the postal address which I am not aware.

you can also consider Tubelab SSE for your first project, the design is pretty simple and proven.

Power transformer you can get custom wound from Torotrans at a much lesser price than you quoted, and i have been using their transformer from quite some time with no issues ...fingers crossed..

For OPT you can try hammond 125 series, ESE looks to be a decent choice considered it is used in few popular designs.

BTW, i am also hunting for OPT's for my next project....

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back