Tube Amplifier and Tube pre-Amplifier Builds

I have been following your progress in the tube amplifier build.The work is excellent and the finish is awesome.Please let us know the performance part of your amp after you have completed the work.

Thanking you,
pksnathan

Rebuilding the 2A3 single ended tube amplifier
The circuit is a transformer coupling type- the best for tube amplifiers. The interstage transformers are local made and the OPTs are James.
Although the interstage transformers are local made, the amp sounds very good. This is my third 2A3 amp build using interstage transformers.
Always i like the sound of transformer coupling.

The next project is Wavelength Audio "The Bugle 45 Tube Amplifier".

The original design is Stereo power amplifier, but we try this design as mono blocks. All the components used in this mono blocks is as per the parts list. wooden chassis with top copper plate. The capacitor are from Mundrof, Solen, ERO and the output transformers are from O\Netics, USA. The Power and choke transformers are custom made locally.

No need to explain about this design, lot of good reviews for it.
One of the best 45 Amp design. we know 45 tubes are good sounding tubes, but with proper circuit only we can really enjoy the sound of 45.

I can recommend two circuits for 45 tubes amps:
1. jeff korneff 45 tube amplifier
2. Bugle 45 Tube Amplifier

Planning to built a jeff korneff 45 amp soon...

What are the driver stage tubes and rectifier tubes you planned for tube 45 amp ?
I used 5751(siemens) as driver tube and 5U4G as rectifier tube for testing. Original circuit have 5AR4 which can add more smoothness to the supply which reflects in the musical quality of the sound.

All the transformers are custom made locally. Both imported and local components used to build the amp.

Very inspired by your builds!
Please do share some details about the locally made transformers, specifications, cost to get made, etc...

Very inspired by your builds!
Please do share some details about the locally made transformers, specifications, cost to get made, etc...

I got the transformers made locally by a old person who have 45 years experience in designing and winding transformers. They have lot of original winding data of various tube amplifiers like RCA, Mullard, Altec, Thordarson, etc., mostly used in theatres but all are push pull type. They do have very few designs for Single end amps(for EL84,EL34,6L6 tubes).

In my experience the local made push pull type transformers are close to performance of imported txrs,in aspect of frequency response, details, power but imported ones more smoother, precise, sweet. The difference is mainly due to the quality of core and copper wire. local person also using costlier materials available here. but those materials are not equal to imported ones.

Regarding power and choke the local transformers are very good.
we have tried few methods to improve the quality of power and choke and succeeded, the power and choke txrs now they are producing in much improved.

Push pull type designs available

20%, 43% screen tap
Power handling: 10W, 20W, 30W, 50W, 60W, 100W, 120W
Primary impedance: 3K, 3.5K, 5K, 6.6K, 7K, 8K, 9K, 10K
Secondary Impedance: 4, 8, 16 ohms.

Single end type
Power handling: 5W, 10W, 20W
Primary impedance: 2.5K, 3.5K, 5K,
Secondary Impedance: 4, 8, 16 ohms.

Cost of local made transformers(power, choke, OPTs) also higher and vary according to wattage. give your specifications they will calculate the cost and inform you.

For power and choke- local made transformers are fine and much better than hammond.
local made pushpull OPTs also OK.
if you are trying single end amp with tubes EL34, KT66, 45, 2A3, 300B then i strongly recommend imported OPTs.

My suggesion: local made power and choke with imported OPT.

Regards

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back