Tube amplifier makers in India

Hi,

Just to allay any fears about valve amps, before you get carried away.

Yes, valve amps do operate at voltages much higher than seen in solid-state amps. Power supplies at 300 VDC are pretty common. So, safety precautions while working on an amp are essential.

Any manufacturer worth his salt knows this, and will protect the user to the utmost. The amplifier chassis should be fully insulated, and properly grounded against any internal failure. Wood chassis serve here admirably. All high voltage supplies should have bleeder resistors in them, to discharge all voltages when the amp is switched off. This happens within minutes. So, opening a chassis, say, 5 minutes after switching off, and unplugging from the mains, is safe. But, please confirm from the manufacturer before you do! And, the glass envelope of a valve is a perfect insulator too - you will never get a shock touching a valve glass body.

Its mainly the power valves that get really hot. So, some caution around them is advised. However, they do not get as hot as an incandescent light bulb - so use the same amount of care.

Valve circuits are relatively simple and straightforward. A well designed amp should give decades of service.

Regards,
Viren

Hello guys,
thanks for the inputs. I have started doing some serious reading on tube amplifier buying guide. I am happy to say atleast I know there are two basic types SET and P&P and I am still trying to understand what are the advantages and disadvantages. If everything remains the same and only the tube is changed the sound signature changes dramatically. So there creeps in more space for subjective preference. Actually for last one month I have been listening to vinyls. To be honest I am just mesmerized by the quality of sound reproduced specially for golden oldies like Hemanta Mukherji, Sandhya Mukherji, Kanika Bandyopadhya and lots of other artists whose CD recordings are not that good.Hence I want to build a good analogue setup to play vinyls. To achieve that I am exploring the path of tube amplfiers. I am looking at indian makes since they are easily available and provide more custom made product to suit the taste.
Thnaks,
Mahiruha.

Would you be interested in making one for yourself? Let me know. I can help you.

Would you be interested in making one for yourself? Let me know. I can help you.

Hello Dinesh,
its a interesting suggestion. I can give it a go but purely from academic interest perspective.For my home audio set up I will always go for a professional product as I firmly believe that my amateur DIY effort just won't be good enough to match a professional approach. But I must tell you that I have no background in electronics. The only thing I remember that when I was around 8 years old my father gave me a toy called chip chap. It had many circuits and like a piano with different resistors and try and make the sound through radio that kind of stuff. It was long ago but I enjoyed it.
thanks,
Mahiruha.

hey steviaboy, viren...good to see you here...guess the entire gang is two-timing :rolleyes:

steve...howz abt i invite myself over for another session? been a while :D

I have not heard the Starc audio amp...only seen it...and the finishing was not so hot...felt they were kinda overpriced...of course the sound they may make could be totally worth it...if anybody has heard them, please post your impression...

hey steviaboy, viren...good to see you here...guess the entire gang is two-timing :rolleyes:

steve...howz abt i invite myself over for another session? been a while :D

I have not heard the Starc audio amp...only seen it...and the finishing was not so hot...felt they were kinda overpriced...of course the sound they may make could be totally worth it...if anybody has heard them, please post your impression...

hey soulforged,

yes we guys can't help two timing. what to do :p please do come over. lemme know when you want to drop in. sat ought to be good. you wont recognize the sound. first its now a SET amp and i've replaced the 2A3 tubes with 45s. you can hear both and see the difference. the 45 is just 1.5 watts but man does it do rock! the turntable is also up and running with viren's tube phono with telefunken smooth plates in so all in all quite a change :) you can bring your lps over too along with your cds if you want.

regards

Not suitable for DIY audio. It is an audio tube but more suitable for radio receivers where the heaters are wired in a series directly from mains 220v.

If you are keen on the same envelop then ECL82 is an appropriate and fantastic tube.

nope a radio amp is of no use for me:sad:
i got these from an old radio shop ...

,actually i was looking for valves used in preamps at very cheap rates, but could not get ,so as i found these i kept for
some possible use now .....i will be returning them back :p

UCL 82 and ECL 82 seems are similar tubes , i got a good page telling how valves are named :
How-valves-are-coded

hey soulforged,

yes we guys can't help two timing. what to do :p please do come over. lemme know when you want to drop in. sat ought to be good. you wont recognize the sound. first its now a SET amp and i've replaced the 2A3 tubes with 45s. you can hear both and see the difference. the 45 is just 1.5 watts but man does it do rock! the turntable is also up and running with viren's tube phono with telefunken smooth plates in so all in all quite a change :) you can bring your lps over too along with your cds if you want.

regards

thanx for the invite :D

SET eh! that's gonna be interesting...will drop by soon...with my LP's and CD's...the beer's on me too ;)

Hi

also need to the setup requirements for Tube Amp , (pre amp etc) , would appreciate if you could let know about the average costing... also the repairs if required....

regards

RB

Back