Tube Pre for Entry/Budget Set up - Lyrita DHT

Doomster69

Hi FMs,

Im quite keen to add a tube pre to my system to infuse a bit of tuby goodness.

My experience - I have a cheap tube pre from FX audio (bought around 5K) and i was "startled" by such a small unit brought big improvements in my stereo set up. Completely amazed how it opens up the sound, improved holographic imaging and also added quite a bit of air and heft at both ends of the freq. spectrum. This one uses GE JAN 5654 tubes which are well regarded.

I have been seeing quite a few FMs using Lyrita DHT Pre in their set ups. Would be great if someone can share feedback on this, namely

1. How it works as pre-amp,
2. Whats would be good solid state amp pairing (in terms of wattage etc.) for it to shine through
3. How much would it cost to buy and maintain? How has been the long term use experience been?
4. Any quirks or specific maintenance requirements it has?
5. Is buying used advisable?
6. Would this meet the intended purpose - i.e. accentuate the sound characteristics? What sound signature changes/improvement can be expected?

Not looking a tube amplifier though - it requires reasonable maintenance and periodic parts replacements (more money spent). Plus the speaker pairing may not work out best for my current speakers.

Once i have a bit of ground level understanding, will then plan for a purchase and reach out to Viren sir...

Inputs/thoughts welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi FMs,

Im quite keen to add a tube pre to my system to infuse a bit of tuby goodness.

My experience - I have a cheap tube pre from FX audio (bought around 5K) and i was "startled" by such a small unit brought big improvements in my stereo set up. Completely amazed how it opens up the sound, improved holographic imaging and also added quite a bit of air and heft at both ends of the freq. spectrum. This one uses GE JAN 5654 tubes which are well regarded.

I have been seeing quite a few FMs using Lyrita DHT Pre in their set ups. Would be great if someone can share feedback on this, namely

1. How it works as pre-amp,
2. Whats would be good solid state amp pairing (in terms of wattage etc.) for it to shine through
3. How much would it cost to buy and maintain? How has been the long term use experience been?
4. Any quirks or specific maintenance requirements it has?
5. Is buying used advisable?
6. Would this meet the intended purpose - i.e. accentuate the sound characteristics? What sound signature changes/improvement can be expected?

Not looking a tube amplifier though - it requires reasonable maintenance and periodic parts replacements (more money spent). Plus the speaker pairing may not work out best for my current speakers.

Inputs/thoughts welcome :)

It works fantastic as a preamp in my system. There was a definite upgrade in sound quality, details and clarity when I upgraded to the power amp pre amp from the integrated. It doesn't require any maintenance. The smaller tubes also last very very long. In any case, replacements are very cheap since they are Russian ones and freely available both from Viren as well as online sites. You can expect a more insightful look into the music with the preamp in the chain. Yes buying used would get you as good as a new one since Viren refurbs them and makes sure everything is OK. Considering there's all point to point wiring, really nothing much to go wrong in one.

Also as an aside, not sure where you got your info that tube amps require reasonable maintenance and periodic parts replacement. What parts did you mean?

I can assure you that they don't. I've been using a tube amp and. tube phonostage as well as the pre for over a decade now and zero maintenance nor have I replaced anything. I only roll tubes based on my preferences at any given time from the stock I have. If fact a solid state amp is more likely to have blown parts and is more susceptible to AC line vagaries like surges etc. The only 'maintenance' I do is cover them to protect from dust and dust the top off at intervals :)

Regards

Fantastic preamp. Once you get used to its sound, it’s hard to live without it. In my recent experiments, this pre works phenomenally well with high wattage power amps such as Odyssey Stratos Extreme. Gives you an excellent marriage of ss and tubes.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back