Tube Preamp for powered speakers

vineetrad

Hi,

I have a pair of Epoz Aktimate Mini+ powered speakers
Epoz Aktimate Mini+ review | What Hi-Fi?

The power specifications are as follows:
Mini+ B

They are quite detailed but a bit too analytical with sharp highs. I would like to colour the sound a bit and tame the Highs and mellow the mids a bit and improve the Soundstage as well.

I was thinking of buying a tube preamplifier to do this. Is this even possible? Will adding the tube preamp between dac and speakers even (refer Power specifications link) or would it blow up the amp in the powered speakers?

I am leaning towards the lyrita dht line preamplifier as of now if it will work. If not technically feasible then looking to add a tube buffer like the Yaqin sd-cd3. I would prefer the preamp option though.

Look forward to hearing any advice and guidance.

Thanks

Sent him an email in parallel and he responded back quite promptly. He advised me to use software tone controls to color the sound and also try replacing an offending component rather than add in more stuff to the chain. Makes sense. Will try software first.

Adding one more link for anyone else using studio monitors or flat response powered speakers and want to add a bit of warmth when using for non monitoring home use. This guy uses Adam 7s and used a tube buffer to reduce fatigue though probably at a little less accurate

Connecting Solid State Preamp to DAC

Vineet,

I just got my Yaqin SD3 two days back. Ordered from amazon.com and delivered in Bangalore within 5 days of purchase :yahoo:. I just wanted to add it my all SS chain (Oppo 105 -> DIY Pass B1 Pre -> Acoustic Portrait NJ1 Power). I listen to a lot of old indian movie songs and most of them doesn't sound that soothing / warm in my setup. Newer and good recordings sounds pretty well, but I wanted an "added warmth" and weight for my old song collection. I thought adding a tube buffer was a less expensive and a low risk experiment to get tube distortion and warmth to my setup.

I haven't put Yaqin in my setup yet, but planning to do that this weekend.

Everybody who are using Yaqin suggest changing the stock tubes to 6SN7. But I am not going to spend money on that now, but try to play around with the stock tubes.

I can share you my listening impressions after I try it out this weekend.

Where are you located in Bangalore? I stay closer to Kadugodi, Whitefield.

Thanks,
John.

Hi John,

Thanks for replying. That is quite serendipitous. How much did it cost you additional in customs and shipping? I'm guessing you used Borderlinx or Shop and Ship as I dont see Amazonglobal as an option for the Yaqin SD-CD3?

I have the same issue. A lot of the old music and more obscure music I like is not the best quality and I can't really stand to listen for very long due to the glare and thinness in the sound. Well recorded FLAC and native DSD stuff sounds amazing so I know its partly the whole garbage in garbage out thing at work here :)

Anyway, I've just ordered an iFi iTube active tube buffer from ebay. It would be interesting to check out how the Yaqin and the iTube compare and if there are any noticeable differences in your setup and my powered speaker setup.

I am also in Whitefield...small world! Do let me know your thoughts on how the Yaqin fares once you get some time to setup and listen.

As for the tube replacement I would suggest that something like electro harmonix 6sn7, tung sol 6sn7 would suffice? I see a few people recommending more expensive sylvanias but imo it might be an overkill for this unit.

I'd be interested to know from you how the stock chinese tubes fare though.

Hi Vineet,

There is a seller in Amazon.com who ships to India for FREE :). I am extremely happy with their service. They helped me get a 240V version on my request with out any additional cost. This is the seller - SHENZHENAUDIO (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?i...73768-8833839&seller=A2Q0JVLI22BSVA&sshmPath=)

Total landing price was Rs. 14,500/-. This includes Rs. 1495/- customs duty. They shipped it using FedEx and item reached in 4 days at my doorstep :).

I would be glad to do the A-B testing with your iFi once it arrives and you are welcome to my home for an audition. I will PM you my address.

Thanks,
John.

Strangely enough I ordered the Itube also from the same vendor but on ebay. Will let you know when it arrives. Almost bought the Yaqin myself... Now I won't have to wonder what if.. Buyers remorse ;-)

Wow. That is too much of coincidence :).

One good thing about this seller is that they will mark the value pretty low so that you don't have to pay too much customs.

-John.

Yes indeed ??. Sometimes in my experience when things have been marked too obviously low the customs guys get clever and charge a bomb other times comes through with hardly any charge. Mostly a crap shoot. 9Will let you know how it goes.

I am also in the same boat. Have a Neumann KH120 and Audio GD NFB10ES. Extremely accurate. But, bit fatiguing. I have a panasonic Bottlehead (CQ-TX5500) at my car. Far less accurate. But boy, what a soothing sound that you can listen for hours and hours. I am also in Bangalore. Probably, we can catch up sometime.

Hi matbhuvi that's a great set of monitors and dac combo you have. Are you running a fully balanced system through the XLR outputs into your Neumann?

Yes, definitely we should meetup. Both John and I are in Whitefield. If you are also this side of town would love to drop by and hear your Neumanns sometime. Am thinking of hosting a meetup one of the coming weekends if enough people are interested. Do pm me your phone number if you'd like to be added to a whatsapp group I'm trying to create for all Bangalore based forum members interested in meeting up.

Vineet,

I just got my Yaqin SD3 two days back. Ordered from amazon.com and delivered in Bangalore within 5 days of purchase :yahoo:. I just wanted to add it my all SS chain (Oppo 105 -> DIY Pass B1 Pre -> Acoustic Portrait NJ1 Power). I listen to a lot of old indian movie songs and most of them doesn't sound that soothing / warm in my setup. Newer and good recordings sounds pretty well, but I wanted an "added warmth" and weight for my old song collection. I thought adding a tube buffer was a less expensive and a low risk experiment to get tube distortion and warmth to my setup.

I haven't put Yaqin in my setup yet, but planning to do that this weekend.

Everybody who are using Yaqin suggest changing the stock tubes to 6SN7. But I am not going to spend money on that now, but try to play around with the stock tubes.

I can share you my listening impressions after I try it out this weekend.

Where are you located in Bangalore? I stay closer to Kadugodi, Whitefield.

Thanks,
John.

Hi John,

I believe you are still using the Yaqin CD3. I guess you've been using it for a while. What are your impressions on this device so far?
Were you able to compare this up against anything else?

Hi John,

Thanks for replying. That is quite serendipitous. How much did it cost you additional in customs and shipping? I'm guessing you used Borderlinx or Shop and Ship as I dont see Amazonglobal as an option for the Yaqin SD-CD3?

I have the same issue. A lot of the old music and more obscure music I like is not the best quality and I can't really stand to listen for very long due to the glare and thinness in the sound. Well recorded FLAC and native DSD stuff sounds amazing so I know its partly the whole garbage in garbage out thing at work here :)

Anyway, I've just ordered an iFi iTube active tube buffer from ebay. It would be interesting to check out how the Yaqin and the iTube compare and if there are any noticeable differences in your setup and my powered speaker setup.

I am also in Whitefield...small world! Do let me know your thoughts on how the Yaqin fares once you get some time to setup and listen.

Hi vineetrad,

What are your impressions on iFi-iTube so far? I have same question as above. Were you able to compare your device against anything else?

Any feedback on Yaqin tube buffer please? I am getting interested in tube sound and tube buffer was one option suggested to me. Thanks.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back