Turning the tide... New Active Speakers

Why?

>Actives in my opinion just provide a simple way to enjoy music as compared to a more >complicated passive setup.

Cost, Value for money etc, etc. Not to mention saving the tedious job of matching amp with speaker and so on. Precise imaging and neutral sound (if you are talking about pro-monitors) are bonuses.

Of course, one man's poison may be another's nectar. Not too long back, I was immersed in pairing speakers with amps and trying to find out which one I liked best in my listening environment! :)

The disadvantage is lack of flexibilty.

I don't think I have active speakers, according to the definition I learned here, so let's call them "powered" speakers. They include amplification, but not one amplifier per box, and certainly not one amplifier per driver. They are entry-level (M-Audio) near-field monitors. Advantage: I did not have to buy an amplifier when I bought them. Disadvantage: I don't have the flexibility of adding an amplifier, but would like to experiment with, for instance, Topping amp.

If one wants flexibility, better go for Active System rather than for Active speaker unit............

I don't think I have active speakers, according to the definition I learned here, so let's call them "powered" speakers. They include amplification, but not one amplifier per box, and certainly not one amplifier per driver. They are entry-level (M-Audio) near-field monitors. Advantage: I did not have to buy an amplifier when I bought them. Disadvantage: I don't have the flexibility of adding an amplifier, but would like to experiment with, for instance, Topping amp.
not just they include amplification but active xover/filter stage before amplification too..so the more appropriate term would be 'active powered' speakers!

Last edited:
I must check out the spec of my AV-40s again ...but, whilst being way better than "multi-media" speakers from the PC store, they are very much at the beginning of ladder of real monitors.

True that. But I do not know if we need that flexibility :).

With active speakers, changes in sound signature comes from different combinations of sources - DAC's, pre-amps, CD Players, sound cards etc.

True that. But I do not know if we need that flexibility :).

With active speakers, changes in sound signature comes from different combinations of sources - DAC's, pre-amps, CD Players, sound cards etc.

What you mean is something like if you pair say a neutral sounding Genelec Monitor with a Tube DAC then the overall sound signature should change to a warm tube like sound?

Does anyone here have any experience with such experiments? Which involved taking a Pro Audio monitor and changing its sound signature through the DAC or Source?

It will be nice to hear about it if someone is using such a setup currently.

me thinks its a wrong way to look at things..

ideally a CDP / source should be as neutral ( not bland.. but as close as possible to the priginal ) and the amp and the speaker ( choice ) add a flavor of their own.

I would in part agree to the lack of flexibility in actives and partly that may explain why they are not so popular.

probably my first experience with "actives" was at the recent Mumbai meet where we heard the Rs 1.35 lac ADM 9RS ( i think ) and while it initially sounded nice but when i went back home and slept on it.. i thought it did not impress me too much on the sound while its is a wonderful package deal including the speakers / amp and a dac thrown in.

The problem is here.. if the manufacturer throws in the DAC.. then your hands are tied.

Vortex - which actives have you got ? please do write up on it..

regards
mpw

dont understand why everyone craves for different sound signature. isnt 'neutral' sound signature is best for everyone?

Haha. If that were true, Pro Audio would find a lot more space in our homes.

Though i am at the lowest rung in the ladder to understanding sound signatures.
From my limited exposure i feel my ears so far prefer a slightly warm musical sound rather than neutral.

But i have heard very little so far and i like most of what i hear so cannot be sure.

I also like the sound of live performances a lot so i am looking forward to hearing some open baffle speakers when i get a chance to see if that is what my ears will fall for.

I guess the more experienced people can shed some light on the topic.

in my humble opinion...everybody hunts for so-called warm, cold, bright etc.etc. sound signatures until they find neutral and realize that they have finally hit the spot and stop their hunt...

I also like the sound of live performances a lot

Welcome to the HIFI systems worst nightmare (replicating a live performance!). (Pun intended). I have been in the same pursuit and it is a hopeless pursuit to say the least! :) I can understand very well where you are coming from, as I am going thought the same pain myself :) It is soooo.. simple to simply buy a ticket instead :D

"in my humble opinion...everybody hunts for so-called warm, cold, bright etc.etc. sound signatures until they find neutral and realize that they have finally hit the spot and stop their hunt..."
- My personal experience is that the more I listen to neutral sound the more enjoyable/rewarding it is over a period of time as compared to colored sound. But there are times when I feel colored sound (example warm sound) can create certain mood - Think sipping a warm cup of coffee (put your favorite drink here;) ) in a laid back relaxed evening.. :)

Yes, open baffles are something that I too have been recommended. My my room size is very small (8x12) so have been asked to avoid them due to room constraints.

Last edited:
Welcome to the HIFI systems worst nightmare (replicating a live performances!). (Pun intended). I have been in the same pursuit and it is a hopeless pursuit to say the least! :) I can understand very well where you are coming from, as I am going thought the same pain myself :)

Yes, open baffles are something that I too have been recommended. My my room size is very small (8x12) so have been asked to avoid them due to room constraints.
not hopeless pursuit buddy....its possible
question is how much far you can go to achieve it (both in putting efforts and spending!)

in my humble opinion...everybody hunts for so-called warm, cold, bright etc.etc. sound signatures until they find neutral and realize that they have finally hit the spot and stop their hunt...

Maybe you are right and down the road maybe even i will realize the same.
I think a lot here also has to do with the kind of music one listens to and the quality of music files we play.

I am generalizing here, but when some one starts at this hobby, say someone like me, all i had were Mp3s. I took them over to a friends house and played it on a high-end setup and realized they dint sound that high end.

So i guess to get the sound we crave for, its about getting a lot of things right from the source to the speakers and everything in between. And that is a very long and difficult job in my opinion.

Money is relative, But when i look at the amount of time and effort some people have put to get their systems setup and even after that they keep looking for something to make it better, its just amazing.
And i deeply respect that.

So i totally get what Rohit is trying to say and also understand its possible like you said. But its a long journey to make it possible, and i am on the first step.

hopefully it will be an enjoyable ride.

PS: rohit, i wish it was all about just buying a ticket, in Jaipur even that is rarity, mostly it involves going to Delhi or Mumbai for a good concert. Hence the desire to get the live performance in the house istelf! :)
Atleast Pune is much better on that front.

What you mean is something like if you pair say a neutral sounding Genelec Monitor with a Tube DAC then the overall sound signature should change to a warm tube like sound?

Does anyone here have any experience with such experiments? Which involved taking a Pro Audio monitor and changing its sound signature through the DAC or Source?

It will be nice to hear about it if someone is using such a setup currently.

Something like that arihantd! It may not be ideal but then that is why tastes are personal..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back