Turntable advise ?

prashant_dv

Hi,

i am planning to buy a Turntable.
i have read a lot about the Pro-ject turntables but really dont know the availability & pricing of them. Additionally, who is the dealer in bangalore for Pro-ject ?

Is a Denon DP-29F ( basic model ) worth a look ?

If the pricing and other details cannot be shared in the forum, would request for a PM

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Prashant,

The Philips Electronics 242 also seems to be a good model...Balaji (Bangalore) had a pre-owned piece in good condition. He was willing to part with it for 3.5K. It is estimated to be around 20 years old, but sounds really good with hydraulic arm, although the RCA cable might need replacing...

BTW, thanks for coming with me to Balaji's to buy the stash!!!!! :)

Hi,

i am planning to buy a Turntable.
i have read a lot about the Pro-ject turntables but really dont know the availability & pricing of them. Additionally, who is the dealer in bangalore for Pro-ject ?

Is a Denon DP-29F ( basic model ) worth a look ?

If the pricing and other details cannot be shared in the forum, would request for a PM

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Prashant,
I have a Denon DP-29F.I am quite satisfied with it and it gives you the basics. I use it to play all my old LPs especially the Indian pressings,where tracking at 1/2 or 3/4 gms is totally futile,as you would do using a good turntable and cartridge combo.I also have a Garrard Zero -100,but getting spares is a real problem, so you should keep it in mind if you are thinking of a pre-owned option.All the best

Hi Prashant,

Depends really on what your objective is. Do you have a sizeable collection, how rare are the titles therein, and do you want to use your turntable for a lot of listening?

Pro-ject represents the best sound reproduction at a sensible price. It does not have 'features' or bells & whistles that consumers usually expect, instead allocating most resources on the bits that matter, e.g. cartridge, transport.

I personally bought a Pro-ject because my main objective was to digitise and archive certain rare titles that are out of print, and to the best of my knowledge were never re-issued on tape/ CD. My paramount consideration was getting that one 'take' right, subject to the constraints of affordable technology. Pro-ject in that respect was far superior to other available options. It is, of course, lacking in features such as automatic shutdown, readily available in consumer grade models.

On the other hand, you may have an LP collection with very little rarity value, and may want to listen to them on a routine basis without being too critical of the sound quality. If so, other factors such as convenience, robustness, ready availability of parts/ servicing etc. become much more important.

Hope this helps.

Persiflage

PS: BTW, Pro-ject Debut III may be a bit costlier in India than 12K; 2 years ago it cost me close to 20K with a phono stage thrown in. Let me know if prices have come down.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Sanjay Khanna: Well, i am looking for the basics as of now and i did like the denon which is listed on their website, hence thought of buying it.

I would however check the TT's available at ARN systems. thanks for the site hkravin..

persiflage: yes, I do listen to a lot of music, but i do not have any rare titles though. it would be used quite often. well, if pro-ject is that costly i dont have the budget right now for 20k.. will settle for a second TT or something.

Is there any good Technics TT available ( pre-owned ) for less than 10K ?? If yes, please let me know the contact and i would try to get it :)

Hello all,

One of my friends' grandfather is disposing off his old hifi stuff...the one which is still left if Nakamichi Dragon CT TT( He is expecting 10-15k for that, nobody wants that 'useless'(?) piece it seems). Any idea how much this 'd cost now? He bought it from US in the 80's. Doesn't have a stylus, and not sure about the Cartridge also,a broken dust cover, except for these , all working.

Thanks.

Harikrishnan.

do let us know if you come to know the current situation of the TT & the cost of it as well.... cud pick up if it is in good condition...

In fact I will also be interested in buying the TT... I would like to take a look at the TT... Harikrishnan, gimme a call - I have sent you a private message...

Last edited:
just checked the denon site.. howz the DP 300f Turntable... would love to hear some expert comments on this TT..

but for that cost i could go easily on the Pro-ject Debut III.. without burning that large a hole in my wallet :D

Hello all,

One of my friends' grandfather is disposing off his old hifi stuff...the one which is still left if Nakamichi Dragon CT TT( He is expecting 10-15k for that, nobody wants that 'useless'(?) piece it seems). Any idea how much this 'd cost now? He bought it from US in the 80's. Doesn't have a stylus, and not sure about the Cartridge also,a broken dust cover, except for these , all working.

Thanks.

Harikrishnan.

Hi Hari,
Is the Dragon CT still on sale? Please PM me more information.
Cheers!

Hi all,

The TT is not for sale. I wanted have some opinions on this, like perfomance, how much 'd be an ideal price etc.

I bought if for 8k and currently its with a mechanic. He is still trying to figure about some "Linear tracking" set up on the TT, which is now not working. I need to get a Cartridge also for this. Its in my homwtown now, (Cochin).

Hi,

The Nakamichi turntables are legends in the analogue world.You are very lucky to own one.

What tonearm do you have on the turntable?

tx1000

I hope your "mechanic" knows his job, especially with the auto centering mechanism or you will wind up with a 8K doorstop.

The parts for these turntables are difficult to find.

I suggest you post your questions on the vinyl forum on Audio Asylum and Audio Karma there are some guys who are regulars there who know quite a bit about these turntables and will also be able to help you source parts.

Regards
Rajiv

Hello,

Finally I found some lil info about Dragon CT. Thanks to Anilkumar for his post on "Site for Vintage Specifications". Here is the link.

Nakamichi Dragon CT on TVK

In the previous post I have mentioned about " Linear Tracking". Actually its not linear tracking, but the mechanism as given below.:D ( from the website).

I dnt know what it is, but this is the same problem my mechanic friend was talking about.

" Off-center records are a pain and there isn't much one can do if the record is pressed that way! Well, there is something one can do: search for the real center of the record and adjust the turntable platter to budge so that the off-centered record can be read as if it were not off-centered. No small feat on a cassette recorder (for proper head azimuth) but imagine that on a record player!
So, the little arm at the back scans the record groove, decides where the "absolute" center is and the whole turntable assembly then moves accordingly - the cart is no more pushed around left and right and just reads the groove."

Wooden plinth, sitting on four springs in the large towers at the four corners. Both decks have a glass top platter and metal sub platters. With the CT, you press the spindle to centre the top glass platter. Activiating the search system, the arm swings onto the leadout groove and works out how 'off' the resord is. A plunger then appears from inside the housing (bottom left) and nudges the glass platter... the whole platter then turns and the process repeats. When the error in the record is corrected, the arm swings back to its rest position. The CT is semi automatic: the arm swings to rest at the end of a side by using a linear motor - no crude mechanical devices here.
( from vintageknob.com)

There is 1% chance , the parts are available for this. But I am just waiting...

Dear friends

Iam on the look out to purchase a direct drive turntable.Iam confused between the choices of Numark, Gemini, Technics Sl1200MK2, Audiotechnica ALPT120. Iam not into Dj .I have a collection of 4000 records in 78 , 33, 45 rpms of 5", 7", 10" and 12" size records. I need to know which one would be best suited and also should i stick on to Garrad player with mono pick up for my 78s or buy the new ones with shureM78S cartridge(mono).

Also tell me a Direct drive is better off or not to a belt drive system regarding the speed accuracy, rumble noise, hum , wow and flutter.........
email ur suggestions also to [email protected]

Regards
srinivas

Dear friends

Iam on the look out to purchase a direct drive turntable.Iam confused between the choices of Numark, Gemini, Technics Sl1200MK2, Audiotechnica ALPT120. Iam not into Dj .I have a collection of 4000 records in 78 , 33, 45 rpms of 5", 7", 10" and 12" size records. I need to know which one would be best suited and also should i stick on to Garrad player with mono pick up for my 78s or buy the new ones with shureM78S cartridge(mono).

Also tell me a Direct drive is better off or not to a belt drive system regarding the speed accuracy, rumble noise, hum , wow and flutter.........
email ur suggestions also to [email protected]

Regards
srinivas
Hi Srinivas,
Please take my suggestions with a pinch of salt as I am no expert and am looking to buy a TT myself. But from what I've been finding out,

1. The Technics SL1200 would get my vote, hands down. The AT comes in second as I understand it's a near-clone of the SL. The build quality of both is exceptional.

2. Neither the SL nor the AT would play 78's, though you could mod the SL to play 78 as well through a mod sold at kabusa.com. However, I am not sure if it's an in-house mod or if you could buy it and mod the table locally.

3. Garrards are very good TT's and have a reputation for very good build quality. Is there any reason why you are replacing it?

4. There is no clear winner between the direct-drive and the belt-drive camps in the price segment that you are looking at. I can't imagine you being unhappy with the sound of either the SL or the AT, provided you have set them up right with a good cart and a phono-stage.

Ofcourse, YMMV.

I think buying basic T/T model of Rega, Project or Music Hall is better option even though u have to pay little extra than buying a 15 or 20 year old T/T which may give you regular problems and not that good sound.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back