Turntable Buzz & Hum

Sean de Silva

Hi Guys

I've scoured the www for help on this one but to no avail :sad:

The setup worked brilliantly well with no buzz nor hum until i relocated the system.

TT connects to preamp via an external phonopreamp.

Heres the annoying problem that just refuses to go away....

When i do not connect the tt ground wire to the ground terminal on the phonopreamp, theres an audible buzz when the volume is turned up.

When i connect the tt ground wire to the ground terminal on the phonopreamp, theres an audible boom(hum) when the volume is turned up.

i'm so distraught...not sure whether this is some ground loop or ..? i've disconnected the entire setup and reconnected...moved the floorstanders away from the TT, swapped the position of the TT with the poweramp, raised the TT level but none of this has helped in eliminating this boom.

I have not been able to play a single record for months now.

I would highly appreciate if any of our forum vinyl experts could drop in at my place and help me sort this out.

Last edited:
try turning up the volume with headphones (and speakers disconnected)
and see if the boom has the same levels

also, some power outlets might have faulty earthing - connecting ground to a window worked for me once

It can be attributed to grounding for sure.

You've to check following :

1. Check your headshell is firmly screwed on tonearm.

2. If you can, open your TT and see if the ground wire has come loose or has dry joints.

3. With TT connected to your preamp and Power amp, disconnect the ground wire and
hold it in your fingers, see if there's any change in grounding hum/buzz.

I think you may be able to isolate the problem.

Good luck

If hum goes up as volume is turned up, then it is likely acoustic feedback. It's possible that the TT is too close to speakers.

If you use TT cover while playing remove it completely and put it aside when playing. The large surface area of the cover will amplify the vibration from the speakers, which in turn will vibrate your TT itself, causing spurious vibration to the tonearm, resulting in loud hum. Also make sure your equipment stand is rigid.

If hum goes up as volume is turned up, then it is likely acoustic feedback. It's possible that the TT is too close to speakers.

If you use TT cover while playing remove it completely and put it aside when playing. The large surface area of the cover will amplify the vibration from the speakers, which in turn will vibrate your TT itself, causing spurious vibration to the tonearm, resulting in loud hum. Also make sure your equipment stand is rigid.

Just tried disconnecting the TT ground wire from the phonopreamp and holding it..while theres a constant buzz, the boom appears as volume goes up:sad:

tried touching the TT ground wire to the poweramp chassis..still no difference

If acoustic feedback is the real culprit as you've suggested..then that's the worst news you could've given me as there is absolutely no scope to change speaker position :sad:

I'd greatly appreciate if you could drop in at your convenience and check it out if youre in mumbai.

this is my setup...because of the extremely limited floorspace i am unable to shift the floorstanders anywhere else..

20818517758_6aecbd380f_b.jpg

There seems to be lot of mains power cords near phono preamp input. Move preamp preferably in place of preamp in left lower side. My mains and phono wires separated at least 2ft away.

:) a pic without the dust covers would have been nice. Not a great place to position a turntable on the rig, in relation to the speaker positioning.

I moved both towers 2 metres ahead of the setup butstill the boom persists at appreciable volume so doesn't seem like acoustic feedback..

Turntable Buzz & Hum

There seems to be lot of mains power cords near phono preamp input. Move preamp preferably in place of preamp in left lower side. My mains and phono wires separated at least 2ft away.

I moved both towers 2 metres ahead of the setup butstill the boom persists at appreciable volume so doesn't seem like acoustic feedback..

You forgot my suggestion. Mains power wires at least 2 feet away from phono preamp input wires or relocate phono preamp to the place of preamplifier.

As Om suggested, I strongly recommend you place the amp/preamp away from the TT.

On one of my old setups I faced a similar issue of hum. I had placed the TT over the Amp and that created Hum. Shifted them apart and all sorted.

Re: Turntable Buzz & Hum

You forgot my suggestion. Mains power wires at least 2 feet away from phono preamp input wires or relocate phono preamp to the place of preamplifier.

If the phonopreamp goes where the preamp currently is, where does the preamp go mate? there aint space for tt + pre + power on top.

Re: Turntable Buzz & Hum

just placed the phonopreamp on top of the preamp...still a loud background boom

then relocated the phonopreamp on top of the cd player...no difference :sad:

i'm perplexed!

Just to prove your TT is not the source of acoustic feedback, temporarily move it away from the rack and place it on the floor in front of the floor, exactly mid way between the speakers. Remove the cover completely (if it has one) and keep it far away from the TT, play it and see if things are different.

Also, I totally agree with Om's suggestion about routing your phono wires as far away from power cables. You'll probably need to get creative to achieve the needed separation;)

Just to prove your TT is not the source of acoustic feedback, temporarily move it away from the rack and place it on the floor in front of the floor, exactly mid way between the speakers. Remove the cover completely (if it has one) and keep it far away from the TT, play it and see if things are different.

Also, I totally agree with Om's suggestion about routing your phono wires as far away from power cables. You'll probably need to get creative to achieve the needed separation;)

jls.. could you kindly drop in at my place sometime soon and help me sort this out ..sent you a pm

finally getting somewhere...:clapping:

Discovered the source of the problem is... 100% pure acoustic feedback..the entire cabinet vibrates like hell and this was undoubtedly transferred to the TT hence the boom while turning up the volume...

How did i discover this ?

Simply by suspending the TT midair and playing a record..and presto :yahoo:..no boom at a high volume..and back to music land :yahoo:

Hence..i'm now going to mount the TT seperately on the wall away from any source of vibration.

would appreciate if our forum members could give me ideas for a wall mount..

Rather than mounting on wall, you could try resting TT feet into beach sand in pots.
I used Rangoli in plastic container, cover with Tea cup coaster made of jute rope and TT feet rest over it.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back