Turntable face lift

madman29

Hi. This is to allthe turntable users. I have a Technics SL-D3. The platter of the turntable is made of aluminium (...I think) which looks very shabby as it is very old. Is there any chemical to make it look shining again. I need to do this because the pitch indicating tabs on the side of the platter -- which is supposed to be silver in colour -- is almost as black as the rest of the sides, and makes it very hard to follow it under the strobe light.
And, Is there any way to clean and make the dust cover shining again. I have tried buffing and not satisfied with the result. What I need is a polish or somthing which will work on the plastic surface.
Lastly where to buy some new cartridge in Kolkata?

Try using Min Cream or Brasso. Min Cream works for me. You should get them at any hardware shop.

What is Min cream? Is it liquid? That is the whole name or some abbreviation. will definitely check the hardware store. Thanks for the reply.

I agree with Jagat. Min Cream is really good, i have been using this from past 12 years without any problem, no scratches or marks. Made by Rackett & coleman. Avilable only in selected stores, difficult to get. In case if you find it buy few extra cans, so that should keep you going for 2-3 years.

Try using Min Cream or Brasso. Min Cream works for me. You should get them at any hardware shop.

Silvo from the same manufacturer works well. I got this from the same seller who sells Min cream. He told me that Silvo will work better.

Hi, please check before you use it on your system, chemical composition may be different. That may spoil the surface. Try it on some old stuff & chk.
Seller is not educated on these stuff. Mincream is specially made to clean electronic appliances.

Regards, Anil

Silvo from the same manufacturer works well. I got this from the same seller who sells Min cream. He told me that Silvo will work better.

Well my turntable is looking clean and shining with Min cream and Silvo (thankx Jagat, Anil), but now the dust cover looks too shabby with all this fine scratches! How do I clean the dustcover? I have already tried buffing and is not satisfied with it. There are chemicals like Novus and 3m Plastic Polish. Are they available in India? Anybody out ther face the same problem? Are there any othere way to do it?

You cannot remove deep scratches with Mincream, may be the smaller once can be removed by polishing 4 to 5 times, it's time consuming job :D
Do not use any chemical based polish, that may tarnish the surface permanently.. if you still want to use, test it on a junk scratched piece of plastic.

Anil

Well my turntable is looking clean and shining with Min cream and Silvo (thankx Jagat, Anil), but now the dust cover looks too shabby with all this fine scratches! How do I clean the dustcover? I have already tried buffing and is not satisfied with it. There are chemicals like Novus and 3m Plastic Polish. Are they available in India? Anybody out ther face the same problem? Are there any othere way to do it?

Hi everybody,
I have just changed the cartridge of my Technics Sl-D3. I have bought an Ortofon OMB10. The one that came fitted with the turntable was an unnamed cart though made in japan as marked on top. OMB10 is an OEM version of Super OM10. Anybody using this same cart? I bought it for Rs.2000 in Calcutta. I have fitted the cart with 52mm gap from the headshell body to the pin and tried to align it with a turntable protractor. Is there anything else I should do? have anyone tried to compare this cart with Shure M97xE?
One last thing- What is the ment by the capacitance value of a cart?

Shure M 97 Xe with its dedicated stylus is a fantastic combination.Is available in India.I am using it with Technics t.t. for last 3 years.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back