Turntable Manufacturing - The new cottage industry of India?

Its always a function of the resonance ie mainly platter material, size and the mat. Just the mat can change the sound from a turntable.
Yes... this is where I come to! you cannot say the turntable will sound better because it has a heavy platter! its like saying this engine drives better as it has a heavier flywheel! all the components needs to be cohesive to each other when doing so!

Last edited by a moderator:
What @mbhangui is very pertinent as well. The ability of the platter to keep a constant speed is also determined by the Angular momentum and the weight.Even in lightweight platters you would find a design where the weight is more on the outer periphery to keep that high.

But again on a belt drive it does need to be designed well and be in synch with then motor and belt. The reason why Turntables are so difficult to get right is exactly that, they need to work well together and that is why not many folks get it right

That doesn't justify "the sound better" equation! it does sound uniform, but how does quality change just by platter!
Higher momentum of rotating mass means the chances of speed variation is lower. This is why some turntable manufacturers use really heavy platters.

The above being said, it is also noteworthy that there are other manufacturers who firmly believe in lightweight platters whose speed is regulated electronically. It is easier to modulate/regulate the speed of a lighter platter than a heavier one.

The above being said, it is also noteworthy that there are other manufacturers who firmly believe in lightweight platters whose speed is regulated electronically. It is easier to modulate/regulate the speed of a lighter platter than a heavier one.
True that. I remember an email exchange with Thomas Schick where he personally believe that for a DD the platter must be light. and for a Belt it should never be heavy !

True that. I remember an email exchange with Thomas Schick where he personally believe that for a DD the platter must be light. and for a Belt it should never be heavy !
There is always more than one way to reach a desired goal.

At the end of the day I would tend towards the more efficient solution. But honestly this heavier the better line of sales by manufactures on every product doesn't cut mustard anymore with many.

yeah, i preferred the easy way out and got one made at a time when TT was a king...

That doesn't justify "the sound better" equation! it does sound uniform, but how does quality change just by platter!
Serve a heavy platter. Platter design also plays an important role. Turntable engineers tend to use heavy materials and design heavy platters. Not only are they less prone to being disturbed by vibrations, but they also have inertia on their side. “Typically speaking a heavier platter, once you get it up to speed, will continue at that speed. A lighter-weight platter will slow down more quickly, “So many engineers will design very heavy platters for that purpose.”
Many hiend turntable used heavy plater, further to reduce plater vibration platter used air bearing and magnetic bearings. I have Kenwood L-07D flagship direct drive turntable platter weight is 5.5kg total turntable weight 33kg. I have another turntable platter thickness 80mm weight 11kg & magnetic bearing with belt drive. This turntable sound excellent.

Serve a heavy platter. Platter design also plays an important role. Turntable engineers tend to use heavy materials and design heavy platters. Not only are they less prone to being disturbed by vibrations, but they also have inertia on their side. “Typically speaking a heavier platter, once you get it up to speed, will continue at that speed. A lighter-weight platter will slow down more quickly, “So many engineers will design very heavy platters for that purpose.”
Many hiend turntable used heavy plater, further to reduce plater vibration platter used air bearing and magnetic bearings. I have Kenwood L-07D flagship direct drive turntable platter weight is 5.5kg total turntable weight 33kg. I have another turntable platter thickness 80mm weight 11kg & magnetic bearing with belt drive. This turntable sound excellent.
Yes. If you don't have a platter with high inertia, then the cost goes in making a good motor, good electronic speed control for the motor and a servo mechanism to sense the motor speed and control the speed if the RPM increases or decreases. The Japs got this right in their direct drive turntables. For belt driven turntable, the belt also plays an important role in slacking up or tightening when the speed changes. Increasing the weight is a cheaper way of getting constant speed at the cost of more powerful motor, bearing design. My grandmother's HMV turntable, the hand cranked one had a speed governor inside. The governor had flexible metal strips with heavy weights on the outside diameter. So if the speed increased, the metal strips would straighten up due to centrifugal force, increasing the diameter of the governor causing more energy to be used and this slowing the speed and vice versa. As time progressed the slackening of the winding speed did not cause the speed to reduce because of this mechanism.

Its always a function of the resonance ie mainly platter material, size and the mat. Just the mat can change the sound from a turntable.
Also a heavier platter will be less prone to picking up vibrations. Agree on the mat. I moved from synthetic mat to a felt mat and such a difference. A turntable is a funny animal. The slightest of tweaks make such a huge difference in SQ. One just needs to keep experimenting.

Found these interesting videos from Mr. Naresh Gowswami of Ahmedabad, Gujarat IN

Wonder what would be the branding on this turntable - "The Gowswami - Michael Jackson", perhaps

Disclaimer: Mr. Gowswami is a regular on olx.in with all kinds of old vintage audio equipment. Sharing for common interest, no personal or commercial affiliation with Mr. Gowswami
Yes he always do some experiment to make something new .

How to store, clean records and shake a leg.
Thanks , just what I needed.Finally getting the confidence to take out my UK first pressing of Revolver , douse in tap water , rub my oily grubby fingers over it , and wipe it with a common usage hand towel just after wiping my sweaty face with it.
And be a boss about it all. :D

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back