Turntables, Phono Stages and Cartridge Owners Roll Call

Both of those are DEFINITELY out of his stated budget. But easily better than the standard DL103. That Zu DL103 is awesome. Also Soundsmith does amazing work.

Also, that shows...budget increases pays bigger dividends (this time I didn't suggest the higher priced stuff Sid! No "Divorce-Bringing" here).

Some more options:

Soundsmith / Denon

Zu/DL-103

Just trying to help. ;)

@ Shaizada & grubyhalo!

you both are the devil!

Shaizada princeling level devil and gruby has a halo is all gruby!!!

Guys! such amazing suggestions and soooooooo pricey!!!! And sooooo tempting!

But seriously now, do you think he (bottle) should spend this kinda money for his particular TT? He wants to upgrade his cart ona Project RPM 1.3 Genie. . .

Bottle can thank his luck and so can i for him! :p
But seems Gruby boy is joining the league of the DB's!

Both of those are DEFINITELY out of his stated budget. But easily better than the standard DL103. That Zu DL103 is awesome. Also Soundsmith does amazing work.

Also, that shows...budget increases pays bigger dividends (this time I didn't suggest the higher priced stuff Sid! No "Divorce-Bringing" here).

@Shaizada, do you think the Zu 103 would work well with a Clearaudio Ambient TT (Satisfy - Carbon Fiber Tone arm).

@Shaizada, do you think the Zu 103 would work well with a Clearaudio Ambient TT (Satisfy - Carbon Fiber Tone arm).

Let me check up on some stats and I will let you know. Do you know the Effective Mass of the Satisfy Carbon Fiber arm?

Ok your arms effective mass is 9g. Give me a bit and I will post back.

Last edited:
Let me check up on some stats and I will let you know. Do you know the Effective Mass of the Satisfy Carbon Fiber arm?

This is what the spec sheet says:

Overhang: 0.68 inch / 17.31 mm
Offset angle: 23
Distance from pivot to turntable centre: 8.74 inch / 222 mm
Weight: 350g
Dimensions (W/D/H in inches): 11.7 x 3.4 x 5

Guys, just to clear the 'grub', I just threw the two in more as an FYI than certified recommendations. For some reason I cannot not think of the Zu or the Soundsmith versions everytime I see the digits 1, 0 & 3. Ofcourse, a pound of salt should apply to most everything I say as I am just a raving loony who don't even have a TT in the first place... :D

Guys, just to clear the 'grub', I just threw the two in more as an FYI than certified recommendations. For some reason I cannot not think of the Zu or the Soundsmith versions everytime I see the digits 1, 0 & 3. Ofcourse, a pound of salt should apply to most everything I say as I am just a raving loony who don't even have a TT in the first place... :D

No harm done, its all in jest!

But, dude, the Zu carts that you pointed towards, look really great! I didn't know of 'em so, thanx!

While we wait for Shaizada to check on that, I've read a few user reviews that put the Soundsmith piece ahead of the Zu. Ofcourse, the Zu appears to be out of stock, so...

Ofcourse...

...a pound of salt should apply to most everything I say as I am just a raving loony who don't even have a TT in the first place... :D

*pat on the back :D

Well I came across a review of the 2M where they compared it to the MP11 and they said that the 2M was more clinical while the MP11 was more warm sounding so it got me wondering.

The PM4001 comes with a phono stage so I hooked up the TT to that

As a user of the 2M Red myself, I can vouch for the fact that this cart is anything but clinical. In fact it's rather musical. It does NOT magnify details nor does it sound cold and sterile.

I've been using this cart in my ProJect Xpression for a little less than a year now. And for the price, am extremely happy with it.

Bottle, if you are in Mumbai you should come over and listen to it.

@malvai

Dude, the normal DL-103 is absolutely NOT a good match for your satisfy tonearm.
The satisfy has an effective mass of 9g. The standard DL103 has a compliance of 5x10-6cm/dyne (100Hz). Cartridge weight is 8.5g

The resonant frequency for this combination ist at 17hz...BAD BAD BAD. It will work, but won't sound that great. You need a cartridge with a resonant frequency between 9hz to 12 hz.

So look for cartridges that have a compliance rating between 14x10-6cm/dyne (100Hz) and 18x10-6cm/dyne (100Hz) for a match. Cartridge weight for this range can be between 5g and 15g.

This is the reason for all the other varieties of of the Denon DL103.

Hmmmm.... more research need then.... You know I really don't want to go above the $700 budget yet... dunno what to buy, The Benz Micro ACE seems like a good 'un...

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back