Turntables, Phono Stages and Cartridge Owners Roll Call

hi anilva,

your experience is with the sme 3009 'improved' version? then perhaps you can still keep an open mind towards sme cos the improved version is generally viewed as the bad un of the lot, say compared to the series II which is regarded as the best sme tonearm. the knife edge bearing primarily the cause in the 'improved' version. different from the series II.

just mentioning for general conversation's sake not to influence you from the tonearm you've already moved to :)

regards

hi anilva,

your experience is with the sme 3009 'improved' version? then perhaps you can still keep an open mind towards sme cos the improved version is generally viewed as the bad un of the lot, say compared to the series II which is regarded as the best sme tonearm. the knife edge bearing primarily the cause in the 'improved' version. different from the series II.

just mentioning for general conversation's sake not to influence you from the tonearm you've already moved to :)

regards

The knife-edge bearing can be changed from nylon to brass or steel. The SME 3009 is clearly not to my liking when paired with SP-10. It is too light and does not feel solid. I also prefer tighter bearings for the tonearm.

I am going to replace with a more soildly built Jelco 750 for my SP-10 and move the SME 3009 to my TD-160. The tonearm on the TD-160 is anyway a crappy old one despite my best efforts to refurbish using cardas tonearm wire etc.

Cheers.

Thanks. You are most welcome to come home and listen. I am currently in the process of upgrading my Technics SP-10 MK2 with a Jelco 750D tonearm from the existing SME 3009. Should complete in another 10-15 days. Makes sense to listen to both SL-1210 and SP-10.

Cheers.

What do you plan on doing with the 3009 tone arm? Is it the Improved one or the first edition?

I have some low end units.
1 garrard 2025 tc record changer with ceramic cartridge.
2 sony - ps-lx3 semi auto record player with magnetic cartridge
3 record player hmv calypso but w/o stylus.
4 philips reel to reel taperecorder n4305 now the r/p head is
damaged and spares are required.
5 sony reel to reel taperecorder tc 530
6 philips powerhouse aw 656
7 philips cassette am 354
8 philips 2 in 1 aq 6460
now i am looking for a reel to reel tape recorder 4 track 2/3
speed but with built in amplifier and spkrs

Cool thread, Shaizada!

Here's my set-up:

Garrard 301, SME Series III, Shure V15VxMR
Garrard 401, SME 3009 S2, Shure M97HE
Linn LP12, SME 3009 Series II, Empire 2000E/II (up for sale)
Mobile Fidelity X-LP phonostage
Stock SME interconnects from arms
Siltech London IC from phonostage to amp
Cadence VA 1.0 HP/ Cadence Avitas

will try and post some pics later..

Hi!

I had inherited a 'Garrard' turntable:eek:hyeah:

I took it to Torvin at Ritchie street for repair. They said that the "Idling Wheel" is to be replaced but they can't source it. Can anyone help me please.:sos:

Rajesh

Here's my set-up:

Garrard 301, SME Series III, Shure V15VxMR
Garrard 401, SME 3009 S2, Shure M97HE
Linn LP12, SME 3009 Series II, Empire 2000E/II (up for sale)
Mobile Fidelity X-LP phonostage
Stock SME interconnects from arms
Siltech London IC from phonostage to amp
Cadence VA 1.0 HP/ Cadence Avitas

will try and post some pics later..

Hi!

I had inherited a 'Garrard' turntable

I took it to Torvin at Ritchie street for repair. They said that the "Idling Wheel" is to be replaced but they can't source it. Can anyone help me please.

Rajesh

Hi,

Torvin is the last place to go for such kinds of problems.You can contact Mr.Sayeed at Electronic Service Corp.(Philips Arena showwroom on Mount Road opp.Spencers) .He must have installed dozens of 301's 401' at TD124's in Madras back in the 60's.

What is the problem with the Garrard?

Normally the idler wheels do not develop a problem.If there are flat spots on the idler you have to replace it with a new one.

New ones are pricey and can be bought from,

Garrard 301 Idler Wheel

Loricraft audio will also be able to help you.

Garrard501, 401, 301 and Loricraft Audio hi-fi Turntable Accessories

This company in the UK has spares but they they are old fashioned and do not have email or website.They stock spares for all kinds of vintage TT's and Reel to Reel decks.

Technical and General,
PO Box 53,
Crowborough,
Sussex TN 6 2BY, UK
Tel. +44 (0) 1892 654534

I purchased a TD 124 belt from them ages ago. They are less expensive than Loricraft.I am not shure if they are still existing.

I have worked on a couple of 301's. If you don't mind I can take a look at the Garrard .

Regards
Rajiv

Hi

Thank you very much for your advice Rajiv. I will contact Mr. Sayeed.

Sure I can show you my Garrard after I take it back from Torvin folks.

I'll be in touch. Can you update me on your contact details?:)

I'll be in touch. Can you update me on your contact details?

Hi,

PM sent.

You left the Garrard at Torvin?:eek::eek:

What exactly is the problem with the Garrard?

Are you able to spin the idler wheel,are there any flat spots on the wheel?

Does the turntable rotate when powerd on.The Garrard has an eddy current brake to regulate pitch/speed,sometimes it gets stuck .

Regards
Rajiv

You left the Garrard at Torvin?:eek::eek:
Rajiv

:eek:
Yes I did. :eek:
It is lying there for about 2 months now.
Rajiv[/QUOTE]

What exactly is the problem with the Garrard?

Are you able to spin the idler wheel,are there any flat spots on the wheel?

Does the turntable rotate when powerd on.The Garrard has an eddy current brake to regulate pitch/speed,sometimes it gets stuck .

Regards
Rajiv

It was lying at my Mom's place (on the attic) for years. The wheel was rotating when powered but not smoothly. There was some noise. Thought I would get it serviced.

After your query, I'm really worried now.

:mad:What to do. The damage is done. Let's see how to salvage the situation.

hello from Sumeet to all u TT audiophiles...
joined this forum newly.. with a specific purpose actually...
i am located in Pune and i need a new SHURE M97XE for my old Philips 242...
3 querries
1. is M97 a good match for Philips 242?
2. will it give me good enough improvement in performance?
3. where can i get it (preferably in Pune, Mumbai)?
would love to interact with all u Post-Docs in the field of vinyl...

Adding my name to the list:
Turntable: Denon DP-29F with built-in pre-amp

Cartridge: Not "sure" but mostly "SHURE"

Connected to my Sony DVD Player thru Audio-in.

Will soon be upgrading amp and speakers. Will keep you posted.

DVD player with audio in? what is that??

It is a Sony HTiB with a front Audio Input (3.5mm jack). Have connected the Aux out of the Turntable to this jack through RCA connectors. Simple connection really.

Am about to be getting this maybe by next week:

DSC_6142.jpg

We call it the giant killer, as there is nothing small about it, beside the size, when it comes to the quality of the sound it produces. Lithium Ion powered, with amazing play back time. Around six days of play back @ 8 hours per day from a single charge, with a sound to die for. It drives all cartridges from the lowest gain to the highest ones, MC & MM. Gain range from 40db-75db in six increments. The load is 30 Ohms-47K. The Nighthawk is absolutely noiseless at the highest gain. Here are some pictures of the first two units ever made and we are hoping to get the chassis by the end of the year.

Our main aim is to put this high end phono stage in every head-fier's home so you will truly enjoy your vinyl. The price is going to be so affordable that the F-117 Nighthawk will set new standards in the phono stages industry when it comes to sound quality/price ratio. We have compared this little baby with thousands of dollars phono stages using HRX turn table with Shelter X90 cartridge & the results were amazing.
RSA.

We are inviting every head-fier to own one of the best phono stages ever designed by RSA for a price that is so tempting, specially when you realize how expensive phono stages are, yet don't have the flexibility of this phono stage, when it comes to adjusting the load or the gain on the fly while you are listening to you vinyl.
The Into price for the Nighthawk is $650.00 ONLY. If you are looking into buying a phono stage for your existing rig or building your new vinyl rig, I would highly recommend this piece of art, it will put the biggest smile on your face. I use it with my $10,000.00 VPI HRX turn table & $4,000.00 Shelter cartridge. The F-117 even though being so little, as it is dwarfed by the size of the HRX, it Holds it's own & demands respect when it plays with the big boys.
RSA

Thanks buddy! It is extremely adjustable and sounded absolutely killer when I heard it last in my system. PLUS I can easily carry it with me when I go to India. I know I'll be meeting a ton of hifivision people and get a chance to hear it in other systems =)

Did a quick dirty photoshop session and I think I'll be doing this color combination instead:

allblacksilverknob.jpg

Would match up better with my table. What do you think? Could be any color combination of black and silver.

dsc00437.jpg

haha!! the thing looks so cute sitting right there to accept shortest ICs for a cleaner uncolored signal. I just love it!! :yahoo:

pity I scooted out of analog in 1996!

Engineer sahib, why the hec did you get out of vinyl? It's the most beautiful thing that could happen to music. Yaar, digital is just a compromise, albeit a good sounding one, but a compromise nonetheless.

Just get back into Vinyl! How long can you POSSIBLY stay away. I know that you know how good it sounds....it just sounds right! :p

By the way, don't go on the looks! It looks small but is a KILLER phono stage. You have no clue how it sounds compared to my current reference....it was NECK TO NECK. Had to rub my eyes and pull my ears to convince myself this was real! hehe

Friends,
- Could anyone of you name a few vendors in Delhi or INDIA selling TTs?
- Kindly advise two best audiophile like TT within 25k, 50k each.

Is the budget not worth it? In other terms do you think that a QUAD 99pre-909power with quality discs will be able to match a low budgeted TT setup. I already own Quad pre-power combo, in that case i shall pass buying the TT for now and look at it later sometime.

Many thanks for the guidance.

Brgs
Sid

Friends,
- Could anyone of you name a few vendors in Delhi or INDIA selling TTs?
- Kindly advise two best audiophile like TT within 25k, 50k each.

Is the budget not worth it? In other terms do you think that a QUAD 99pre-909power with quality discs will be able to match a low budgeted TT setup. I already own Quad pre-power combo, in that case i shall pass buying the TT for now and look at it later sometime.

Many thanks for the guidance.

Brgs
Sid

A half decent TT usually outdoes a mid-to-high-end CDP on any day!!

In a 50k budget you can get good TT's from Project or a very high-end preowned piece!

Thanks Malvai. I hada premonition of this reply coming.

Now, wud it possible to guide me further as rqstd? Also if u know of any pre owned high end TT on sale and whats there to lose in them and how much wud it take to refurbish.

Wont want a white elephant that cant up keep with a free mind, if u know what i mean.

Much appreciate the guidance.

Cheers
Sid

A half decent TT usually outdoes a mid-to-high-end CDP on any day!!

In a 50k budget you can get good TT's from Project or a very high-end preowned piece!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back