Turntables, Phono Stages and Cartridge Owners Roll Call

Hi Anil,
Have you given any thoughts to the Jelco 750 or the Terminator tonearms as possible replacements? Thanks.

Thanks for to all for the interest.

Firstly I am doing much better with SME 3009 now, as I swapped the cartridges from SL-1210 and now I have a Shure M97 on SP-10/SME3009. Because of better compliance of Shure as compared to AT440MLa, the combination sounds better. I also have done few alignments using HiFi News Analogue test disc. I will still need to go through the break in of the cart.

Fundamentally, I am fixated now in my view that SME 3009 (particularly Series II, Improved, Fixed Headshell) is not a tonearm that one should run after, there are many better modern designs including SME M2 and ofcourse SME V. The 3009 looks definitely sexy.

My understanding is that Jelco 750 is not a great tonearm again from a whole lot of opinions I read on the net. I do not know about Terminator. I will check.

Right now I have backed off from any further changes and will let things settle and listen to music for a change. :)

Cheers.

Hi Shahizada,
Thats a mighty impressive vinyl set up that you have.
My much evolved vinyl gear consists of : Michell Orbe TT with a PSU, Triplanar Mk 7 U11 tone arm and the new Transfiguration Orpheus L cart with a Nagra VPS phono stage . The TT sits on a HRS S1 stand. There are some dated pics on Audiogon of my system.
Would be happy to connect with Delhi based vinylphiles.
Cheers and Happy listening
Pradeep

Hi Pradeep,

Your setup sound very inviting as well. Congrats on a well put together setup. Now, based a some familiarity with your setup, I definitely have a few suggestions. You should look into getting the VFS isolation platform that is made by Nagra for your VPS phono stage. That phono stage is actually VERY tweakable through resonance control. When I heard it with and without the platform, it was MUCH preferred with the VFS under it. The dynamics took a leap, resolution increased while the beautiful tone remained the same.

Now the HRS S1 isolation base is an excellent product, but it was really designed to be part of the whole HRS SXR Rack system. In fact, the HRS line of products are amazing together and ALSO extremely expensive. I was eyeing the HRS MXR Rack for my components, but decided against it at the time. Unless you are going to purchase the HRS SXR rack system, I would look into getting a custom base built for the Mitchell Orbe by Silent Running Audio (SRA). I have those built for my preamp power supply section and the amp section and they are EVERYTHING and more I was hoping from an isolation product. He custom makes them according to the dimensions, weight distribution and other factors. It is really custom to the component and showcased with some of the best products in the world i.e. LAMM audio.

You already have an excellent setup. Just a few tweaks and it would be something you don't need to change for life...just something to think about.

Hi Shaizada,
Many thanks for your kind words. The Nagra VPS sits on a VFS and you are absolutely right it does make a huge difference. I have a dedicated acrylic/stainless steel rack for the system that I bought from Coherence Audio, Singapore. Its certainly not in the same league as a dedicated HRS rack and certainly much cheaper and pretty good looking as well. I have individual iso solutions for each component eg the TT feet rest on HRS Nimbus couplers which in turn sit on a SR1 platform. I also have a HRS dampening plate sitting on top of the Nagra VPS. Every component of the system ie from pre to power amp, dac, power supply etc has a HRS component. Overall you make an excellent point about isolation and from my experience this is most crical in a vinyl set up.
I think I have reached the end of the road in my quest for the sound that really excites me. Have just added a 2nd REL sub to my all tube/ESL system. It now combines the holographic mid range of my Quad 2905s with the bottom end extension two REL subs can provide in a 2 channel only system.
Friends, including audio designer Viren Bakshi ,who have heard the system agree that it sounds amazing with a variety of musical genres, which is an important gaol for me given my diverse tastes etc
Unfortunately, upgraditis is always lurking in the back ground...if at all I change anything it would be the TT, provided I can find a customer for the Michell Orbe. Have had my eyes on the TW- Acustic Raven 3 !!
Many thanks once again for your generous comments.
I will post some pics soon.
Cheers and Happy Listening.
Pradeep

Hi,

Just got on the vinyl bandwagon. My setup consists of a preowned Pro ject RPM1 coupled with a Lyrita Preamp with phono stage and Lyrita power amps. I am using the stock cables right now.

Hi Shaizada,
Many thanks for your kind words. The Nagra VPS sits on a VFS and you are absolutely right it does make a huge difference. I have a dedicated acrylic/stainless steel rack for the system that I bought from Coherence Audio, Singapore. Its certainly not in the same league as a dedicated HRS rack and certainly much cheaper and pretty good looking as well. I have individual iso solutions for each component eg the TT feet rest on HRS Nimbus couplers which in turn sit on a SR1 platform. I also have a HRS dampening plate sitting on top of the Nagra VPS. Every component of the system ie from pre to power amp, dac, power supply etc has a HRS component. Overall you make an excellent point about isolation and from my experience this is most crical in a vinyl set up.
I think I have reached the end of the road in my quest for the sound that really excites me. Have just added a 2nd REL sub to my all tube/ESL system. It now combines the holographic mid range of my Quad 2905s with the bottom end extension two REL subs can provide in a 2 channel only system.
Friends, including audio designer Viren Bakshi ,who have heard the system agree that it sounds amazing with a variety of musical genres, which is an important gaol for me given my diverse tastes etc
Unfortunately, upgraditis is always lurking in the back ground...if at all I change anything it would be the TT, provided I can find a customer for the Michell Orbe. Have had my eyes on the TW- Acustic Raven 3 !!
Many thanks once again for your generous comments.
I will post some pics soon.
Cheers and Happy Listening.
Pradeep

The TW Acustic Raven One or the AC-3 can easily be last turntable you will need to buy. If you can swing it, go for the Black Knight and be done with it.

If I ever upgrade (not for a while), I have my heart set on a Transrotor Tourbillon...maybe next year if I play my cards properly :eek:

p937967562-4.jpg

Shaizada
Wow what else does it do apart from playing vinyl and more important how much does it cost ?
Curious
Cheers
Pradeep

Well...you know what they say, if you have to ask how much it costs...... :)
In short, I spent some time with it and fell in love with it's sound AND looks. It was an end all package for me. Hec, even the Clearaudio Statement turntable that I heard at Weinhart Design in Los Angeles didn't push my buttons like the Transrotor did :) The Clearaudio Statement is $150k.

clearaudio-statement2.jpg

Having said that....

The Transrotor Tourbillon is $45k and is the stuff dreams are made of...mine for sure. Got my fingers crossed for next year ;)

Well if you really want to enter the vinyl stratosphire, why not a Caliburn Cobra combo that will set you back 150k. A least you can read a review in Stereophile while the rest are just photos unless you are lucky enough to hear a demo. IMHO this kind of moolah on a TT is not designed to guarantee happiness !!
Cheers
Pradeep:yahoo:

Everyone has their limits ;)
Though theoretically, Steve Hoffman uses the Continuum Labs Criterion with the Cobra arm and he is local to me......hmmm LOL! Maybe I can ask him for an audition!
Continuum Audio Labs CRITERION turntable installed. Bliss!! A few pictures.. [Archive] - SH Forums

I've got a good start with that as we share at least two components together! The phono stage and the Stillpoints rack! Funny how that works out.

His turntable, I don't think I could even dream of owning that as I have no intentions of EVER spending that much on a turntable. :rolleyes:

Well, I am posting few pictures of my SL-1210 upgraded recently with a Sumiko headshell and Denon DL-103 MC cartridge. Sounds quite nice.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2615.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_2616.jpg
    IMG_2616.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2617-1.jpg
    IMG_2617-1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2618.jpg
    IMG_2618.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 204
now that surely is quite an understatement :D i'd love to drop in and hear it sometime...

Thanks. You are most welcome to come home and listen. I am currently in the process of upgrading my Technics SP-10 MK2 with a Jelco 750D tonearm from the existing SME 3009. Should complete in another 10-15 days. Makes sense to listen to both SL-1210 and SP-10.

Cheers.

Thanks. You are most welcome to come home and listen. I am currently in the process of upgrading my Technics SP-10 MK2 with a Jelco 750D tonearm from the existing SME 3009. Should complete in another 10-15 days. Makes sense to listen to both SL-1210 and SP-10.

Cheers.

Whoa, cool! So you decided to go with the Jelco after all? Would love to hear both the tables sometime when I'm in B'lore!

Sure. Yes, I am upgrading to a Jelco. Currently in transit. I was not happy with SME 3009. Too light for my liking.

Cheers.

Adding my name to the list:
Turntable: Denon DP-29F with built-in pre-amp

Cartridge: Not "sure" but mostly "SHURE"

Connected to my Sony DVD Player thru Audio-in.

Will soon be upgrading amp and speakers. Will keep you posted.

Cheers.
The SP10 is a very good TT. You should try it with the Technics EPA-501 tonearm, which it was designed for.

The SP10 is a very good TT. You should try it with the Technics EPA-501 tonearm, which it was designed for.

My personal experience is to use only brand new tonearms. The prices being quoted for Technics EPA-100 and EPA-500 are quite ridiculous. I would settle any day buying a new tonearm if I have shell that kind of money. New SMEs, Jelcos, Regas, Syrinx PU etc. seem to be quite well made.

Cheers.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back