Turntables, Phono Stages and Cartridge Owners Roll Call

can anyone comment on technics sld-303 and thoren's TD -316? How good/ bad are they and how much should they cost used?

regards

I have a pretty basic setup - Technics SL-B2 (a belt drive technics - a rarity) with a Shure M97XE cartridge connected to the inbuilt phono stage in my Lyrita Audio preamp. It came with a captive lead. I've modded it to use a pair of Audio Art IC3 interconnects.

Assuming VPI arrives soon, this will be up for sale!

project rpm 9 with sumiko blue point no 2 cart through lyrita audio phonostage.

in the wings waiting is a garrard 301 with sme 3012 and 3009 series II. waiting for a good plinth.

Hi,

Just one word WOW.

I have these Turntables:
Garrard 301/Syrinx PU2/Fidelity Research FRT 3 MkIII(on loan to my friend otherwise it was not being used much)

Thorens TD124/SME 3009/V15/III

Linn LP12/Ittok/Karma.

I also have the Linn ASAK fresh from a retip by Soundsmiths (USA)and a Linn Troika on its way for a retip.

Phono stages/Transformers:

Lyrita
Naim Stageline
Linn Linnk
Fidelity Resaerch FRT 4

Regards
Rajiv

Curious to know which one sounds better to you? Garrard 301 or TD-124?

Curious to know which one sounds better to you? Garrard 301 or TD-124?

Hi,

It is not a question of one being better than the other.Both sound very good,but with different sonic presentations.The TD124 is slightly better in the highs(it is a little more airy).

My personal preference is for the TD124.

Regards
Rajiv

1. Thorens TD-135 with Shure M75
2. Dual 721 with Shure M75
3. Thorens TD-160 with Ortofon OM-20

All connected to a vintage Yamaha Pre-amp which has 2 phono inputs switchable between MM and MC.

Hi,

Is the Yamaha pre the C-2 by any chance?

The Dual and the TD160 are great turntables. I Had the Dual 701 years ago.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Is the Yamaha pre the C-2 by any chance?

The Dual and the TD160 are great turntables. I Had the Dual 701 years ago.

Regards
Rajiv

Yes, it is a Yamaha C-2 pre-amp. Good one. I personally like the TD-160. Very simple but quite an effective design. I consider it to be a predecessor to many great turntables like the Linn. I am planning to upgrade to a AT440 cartridge. Read rave reviews on that.

The DUALs have been quite under-rated and their contribution to the Vinyl world has been substantial. Dual 721 is a rock-solid design. Very stable platter and quite neutral.

Took some new pictures. Came out so nice, I figured I'd share them here:

pic4mbt.jpg

pic2jay.jpg

pic7g.jpg

dsc0101n.jpg

dsc0001myn.jpg

My Set up:

Turntable: NAD 533 (with the Rega 250 arm)
Preamp: NAD PP2
Cartridge : Goldring Elektra (Moving Magnet) (planning to replace it with Denon 110 or 160 which are high output MCs)
Interconnects: Transparent Cable

The arm does not have VTA adjustment, so my next project is to install a VTA adjuster.

Very organic and pleasant sound. I am sure with the Denon cartridge it will sound even better

@shaizada - I really envy your setup :licklips:

My setup consists of Pro-ject Debut III with the OEM Ortofon om5 cartridge. The phono is Pro-ject Phono box SE.

The TT is placed on an isolation platform designed by Mr. Murthy. no pics as of now :(

Sounds good my friend. :eek:

Would love to see some pictures whenever you get the chance. Especially the special turntable isolation platform that Mr. Murthy made for you. How was it made? What is the "mechanism" behind it so to speak. Constrained layer dampening, sand box method etc.?

Also, I'm sure this is already done, but have you made sure of the VTA, VTF and cartridge alignment?

OK Nevermind, I just saw that the table comes preset at the factory. :cool:
Perfect!

Finally got my SP-10 MK2 going. All the pieces arrived over a period of 6 months from US (I bought on ebay) and I managed to buy a SME 3009 on ebay UK and put it all together with my own DIY armboard for the Obsidian Plinth. Took great deal of help from various quarters including friends and colleagues to make this happen and ofcourse Vinyl Engine site for huge amount of advice.

Attached are the early pictures. I still need to finish the amrboard in black gloss to match the Obsidian plinth.

Sounds terrific with a Audio Technica AT440MLa cartridge.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2475.jpg
    IMG_2475.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 260
Finally got my SP-10 MK2 going. All the pieces arrived over a period of 6 months from US (I bought on ebay) and I managed to buy a SME 3009 on ebay UK and put it all together with my own DIY armboard for the Obsidian Plinth. Took great deal of help from various quarters including friends and colleagues to make this happen and ofcourse Vinyl Engine site for huge amount of advice.

Attached are the early pictures. I still need to finish the amrboard in black gloss to match the Obsidian plinth.

Sounds terrific with a Audio Technica AT440MLa cartridge.

Cheers.

Hi Anilva,

How much improvement do you notice in this setup compared to the SL1210?

Cheers

analogadikt

Hi Anilva,

How much improvement do you notice in this setup compared to the SL1210?

Cheers

analogadikt

As of now, not much of an improvement over SL-1210, but I have some road to travel in terms of alignments, cartridge break-in etc. It is possible (I may be jumping the gun) that SME 3009 is not a great match for SP-10. I don't want to spend $4000 on a SME V tonearm, which is meant to be the real match for SP-10.

Cheers.

Hi Shahizada,
Thats a mighty impressive vinyl set up that you have.
My much evolved vinyl gear consists of : Michell Orbe TT with a PSU, Triplanar Mk 7 U11 tone arm and the new Transfiguration Orpheus L cart with a Nagra VPS phono stage . The TT sits on a HRS S1 stand. There are some dated pics on Audiogon of my system.
Would be happy to connect with Delhi based vinylphiles.
Cheers and Happy listening
Pradeep

Hi Anilva,
That's a pretty cool looking SP-10 you've got there, with obsidian plinth to boot. Congrats.
btw, I think the 3009 is well matched to that model. Maybe the cartridge break-in period may improve things.

As of now, not much of an improvement over SL-1210, but I have some road to travel in terms of alignments, cartridge break-in etc. It is possible (I may be jumping the gun) that SME 3009 is not a great match for SP-10. I don't want to spend $4000 on a SME V tonearm, which is meant to be the real match for SP-10.

Cheers.

Hi Anil,
Have you given any thoughts to the Jelco 750 or the Terminator tonearms as possible replacements? Thanks.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back