TV Buying Guide - LED (LCD) or Plasma

why is that false?..and I'm talking abt very basic thing..i.e elementary particle hitting on phosphor..photon/electron..who cares..
If u're gonna pick those small points...thanks to u..

Last edited:
In CRT and plasma both have phosphor coating inside of the tube and light is generated due to electron hitting that coating...but incase of LED light is directly generated from diode itself..so what's the point of laughing?

Any chance that a god particle be created out of all this discussed above

Sorry bad joke but could not resist my self:D

Resolution will make a big difference at close distances. For a 42", a distance of over 12', the difference will be minimal in most cases. In fact 90% will not feel any difference at all.

But it is better to have 1080p if the budget permits - basically be (slightly) future proof (see footnote).

What would you suggest for a 50" Plasma and viewing distance of 10-14' - HD or Full HD and in what type of input -

1. HD Channels from Tata Sky etc
2. SD Channels from Tata Sky
3. Blue Ray Movies etc.

Came across the pictures of Pioneer's KURO from other forum.

please have a look at this::

Official Pioneer Kuro Pictures Thread......... Page 1 ......

Official Pioneer Kuro Pictures Thread....... - Page 2

I could not find the adjective to describe this :) . It ll be a delectable experience to have a TV like this. And these are just pictures shot from a camera. I could imagine how they look like in real.

The question is , 5 years back, an "Old Technology" was able to produce such a picture quality , are we now supposed to have a better picture quality than this with our "Advanced Technologies" ?

What would you suggest for a 50" Plasma and viewing distance of 10-14' - HD or Full HD and in what type of input -

1. HD Channels from Tata Sky etc
2. SD Channels from Tata Sky
3. Blue Ray Movies etc.

Assumptions:
1. You do not wish to spend a lot on TV at the moment (maybe because you may wish to upgrade in future).
2. You would like to stay with current TV for at least 4 years. But after 4 years you would not like to "cry" over the depreciation loss; any 100k TV (be it plasma or LED) will fetch you less than 8K in four years.
3. You will either upgrade or continue with the same TV after 4 years.

Options:
1. HD Channels from Tata Sky etc: Pana P50X50D is good enough but could think of P50UT30D for FHD
2. SD Channels from Tata Sky: Pana P50X50D is good enough but could think of P50UT30D for FHD
3. Blue Ray Movies etc: P50XT50D is good but you should definitely go to P50UT50D at least or if budget permits the ST/GT series. The reason is that BD will unleash the full potential of 1080p.

I suggested the "T" model for blu-ray because you may wish to invest in 3D blu-ray player in the future.

I could not find the adjective to describe this :) . It ll be a delectable experience to have a TV like this. And these are just pictures shot from a camera. I could imagine how they look like in real.

The question is , 5 years back, an "Old Technology" was able to produce such a picture quality , are we now supposed to have a better picture quality than this with our "Advanced Technologies" ?

WOW ...those were some mind blowing pics...what black levels ...amazing.
There are few more pics on other pages also...do check out...

Btw are those Kuro's available in INDIA - if yes whats their price

Assumptions:
1. You do not wish to spend a lot on TV at the moment (maybe because you may wish to upgrade in future).
2. You would like to stay with current TV for at least 4 years. But after 4 years you would not like to "cry" over the depreciation loss; any 100k TV (be it plasma or LED) will fetch you less than 8K in four years.
3. You will either upgrade or continue with the same TV after 4 years.

Thanks mate - your assumptions are more or less bang-on. My budget is 60-65K for now.

Options:
1. HD Channels from Tata Sky etc: Pana P50X50D is good enough but could think of P50UT30D for FHD
2. SD Channels from Tata Sky: Pana P50X50D is good enough but could think of P50UT30D for FHD
3. Blue Ray Movies etc: P50XT50D is good but you should definitely go to P50UT50D at least or if budget permits the ST/GT series. The reason is that BD will unleash the full potential of 1080p.

I suggested the "T" model for blu-ray because you may wish to invest in 3D blu-ray player in the future.[/QUOTE]

Good suggestions and in line with my thoughts. As most of my viewing will be SD/HD Channels (dont have blue ray or plan to get one soon) so 50X50 is decent enough and 50XT50 will take care of future need of 3D for almost same price range (60-65k). 50UT50 is definitly better but comes at approx 15K more so might not take it.

Any thoughts on 2012 LG series, I am getting company discount so this new model 50PA6500 (MRP 75K) with full HD (no 3D, Smart) will come at 56K... 2 years ext wrnty will cost apprx 10K more..

R

Thanks mate - your assumptions are more or less bang-on. My budget is 60-65K for now.

just4kix said:
Options:

I suggested the "T" model for blu-ray because you may wish to invest in 3D blu-ray player in the future.

Good suggestions and in line with my thoughts. As most of my viewing will be SD/HD Channels (dont have blue ray or plan to get one soon) so 50X50 is decent enough and 50XT50 will take care of future need of 3D for almost same price range (60-65k). 50UT50 is definitly better but comes at approx 15K more so might not take it.

Any thoughts on 2012 LG series, I am getting company discount so this new model 50PA6500 (MRP 75K) with full HD (no 3D, Smart) will come at 56K... 2 years ext wrnty will cost apprx 10K more..

R

On the whole LG plasma at 56K + 10K for warranty squares up with Panasonic P50XT50D. Panasonic is proven; not that LG plasma may be bad. Panasonic XT will have 3D also. I would bend towards Panasonic. But will your contact into LG derive you of the pleasure of priority service? If yes, then if I were you, I would go to LG.

guess what...............even till date the BIG names in the tv industry are struggling to match the KURO levels in all aspects!!! maybe some of the guys here need to think about that!!! The tv industry owes it to Pioneer in a big way..........

WOW truely mindblowing pictures

Options:

R[/QUOTE]

SD will always look better on HD ready since there is less video upconversion. However, if budget permits and thinking long term........better to go with full HD.

On the whole LG plasma at 56K + 10K for warranty squares up with Panasonic P50XT50D. Panasonic is proven; not that LG plasma may be bad. Panasonic XT will have 3D also. I would bend towards Panasonic. But will your contact into LG derive you of the pleasure of priority service? If yes, then if I were you, I would go to LG.

Thanks Pal - I will definitely check this thing on priority service from LG, however on the whole they say that service support of LG & Samsung is better than others. Btw this LG model is FHD and Panasonic XT50 is not & thats what making this choice more difficult, else I would have gone with XT50 if it was Full HD for this price or if LG model was not FHD...

Last edited:
I looked at LG 50 inch Plasma with 3D - the one with pentouch and compared with 55 inch LED side by side and frankly from 10 feet distance couldnt make out much difference. Of course I was not looking for black parts of the screen and all that. But for a lay man it wasn't a huge difference and this plasma is affordable at 75K.

But the sales man himself wasnt too keen on selling it. Also the glasses cost 3.5K each - another dampner

After sales service of LG and Samsung logically must be better than Panasonic because LG and Samsung have a larger workforce. I have purchased other Samsung products (AC, Washing m/c, Microwave, etc.) and I have found their service for AC, Washing m/c to be excellent to good.

On the other hand Panasonic service has many negative complaints on mouthshut, etc. But then people go to mouthshut usually when there is a problem.

I agree. On one of the other posts another Blore member mentioned he got the 51E550 with Blu ray player for 71.5. Thats a really sweet deal. Also Samsung glasses are only 1.5 each official price

Also I do not have the company wise sales data, am sure more folks in India buy Samsung and LG and Sony displays - except for members in this forum - very rarely have I heard anyone mention Panasonic and big panels in same breadth. Not everyone is a member or reads CNET reviews!!!

Also the Panasonic ads rarely seem to bring out their strenghts -they never highlight they win all awards when it comes to reviews - price their products prohibitively - may be they are not as serious as the big giants

Last edited:
I looked at LG 50 inch Plasma with 3D - the one with pentouch and compared with 55 inch LED side by side and frankly from 10 feet distance couldnt make out much difference. Of course I was not looking for black parts of the screen and all that. But for a lay man it wasn't a huge difference and this plasma is affordable at 75K.

But the sales man himself wasnt too keen on selling it. Also the glasses cost 3.5K each - another dampner

I had the same experience when I saw this TV in showroom alongwith 55" LEDs - not much difference of PQ, LEDs were more bright as expected. However I didnt like the panel color (sliver) and the extra features WIFI, 3D, Pentouch etc are not something I would really want.

Even I felt LG guys were not very confident / interested about Plasma - he was still talking about its benefits (no burn-ins etc).

SD will always look better on HD ready since there is less video upconversion. However, if budget permits and thinking long term........better to go with full HD.

Hmmm... interesting observation. Thanks for sharing this..

After sales service of LG and Samsung logically must be better than Panasonic because LG and Samsung have a larger workforce. I have purchased other Samsung products (AC, Washing m/c, Microwave, etc.) and I have found their service for AC, Washing m/c to be excellent to good.

On the other hand Panasonic service has many negative complaints on mouthshut, etc. But then people go to mouthshut usually when there is a problem.

Interesting situation here - to go for a arguably better product (Panasonic Plasma) with a usually bad after sales service or a slightly lessor known/perceived product (LG Plasmas) with probably better after sales...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back