TV - Demand a Glossy Screen for Your Money

NiteRider

It is important to consider that no current TV has a glossy screen except the high-end Samsung's QLED and Sony/LG's OLED.

A glossy screen is required to make the colours pop and enjoy watching for a long time without eye strain. They can still have some light coatings to avoid glass-like full reflections without making the picture dull.

However, only these high-end TV's have glossy screens. But people end up paying such high-end prices of over Rs.1.5 lacs for plain LCD TV's (there is no LED TV, it simply means that the backlight is LED) with a semi-gloss coating on the screen.

CRT TVs and monitors of any budget in the old times never had such coatings on them.

I understand that it does not bother everyone, but I cannot stand a non-glossy screen. Even my PC monitor is glossy.

It is, however, not just my own opinion, as TV manufacturers also know this and charge a premium for glossy screens.

You can read this page and see the list of current models to understand this more:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/reflections-screen-finish-matte-and-glossy
(Samsung's LED-LCD TV models starting "Q" are from their costlier QLED line)

Here is how I test the glossiness of the screen.

Whenever you go to a store, throw a flash-light from your mobile phone at a turned off TV or on the black parts of the image on the TV. If the reflection of the flash is sharp with clear edges and takes just as much area as the actual flash, as if it was a mirror, then it is quite glossy. If the reflection is muted, or made dull and spread out over a larger area, then that is a semi-gloss finish and the more dull and spread-out the reflection, the more the coating on it. And that dullness is what your eyes will see even if you don't notice it all the time.

Comparison Picture: Glossy TV Screen vs Semi-Glossy/Matte TV Screen (credit: I made this with pictures from RTings.com)

compare-glossy-TV.jpg

If there is a semi-gloss coating, then it should be minimum. But I have seen very harsh coatings, even on many Sony TVs. While they look good in the showroom which has many overhead lights, they look awful in your home where there are less lights and you can control which ones to keep on and you can also cover your windows with drapes to avoid direct reflections.

We can start making a noise about it in the showrooms and on various forums and social networks till it reaches the manufacturers. Even medium range TV's should have glossy screens, or at least an option for those who can control the lighting in their rooms to see the best quality of the picture. And I would never pay a premium price for a non-glossy screen. Vote "no" by not giving your money to them for such models with heavy semi-gloss coatings on them.

Attaching the comparison picture file that I made.

Note: If you found the above post to be helpful, then do hit the "Like" button on it.

Attachments

• compare-glossy-TV.jpg
    compare-glossy-TV.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
It is important to consider that no current TV has a glossy screen except the high-end Samsung's QLED and Sony/LG's OLED.

A glossy screen is required to make the colours pop and enjoy watching for a long time without eye strain. They can still have some light coatings to avoid glass-like full reflections without making the picture dull.

However, only these high-end TV's have glossy screens. But people end up paying such high-end prices of over Rs.1.5 lacs for plain LCD TV's (there is no LED TV, it simply means that the backlight is LED) with a semi-gloss coating on the screen.

CRT TVs and monitors of any budget in the old times never had such coatings on them.

I understand that it does not bother everyone, but I cannot stand a non-glossy screen. Even my PC monitor is glossy.

It is, however, not just my own opinion, as TV manufacturers also know this and charge a premium for glossy screens.

You can read this page and see the list of current models to understand this more:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/reflections-screen-finish-matte-and-glossy
(Samsung's LED-LCD TV models starting "Q" are from their costlier QLED line)

Here is how I test the glossiness of the screen.

Whenever you go to a store, throw a flash-light from your mobile phone at a turned off TV or on the black parts of the image on the TV. If the reflection of the flash is sharp with clear edges and takes just as much area as the actual flash, as if it was a mirror, then it is quite glossy. If the reflection is muted, or made dull and spread out over a larger area, then that is a semi-gloss finish and the more dull and spread-out the reflection, the more the coating on it. And that dullness is what your eyes will see even if you don't notice it all the time.

Comparison Picture: Glossy TV Screen vs Semi-Glossy/Matte TV Screen (credit: I made this with pictures from RTings.com)

View attachment 31026

If there is a semi-gloss coating, then it should be minimum. But I have seen very harsh coatings, even on many Sony TVs. While they look good in the showroom which has many overhead lights, they look awful in your home where there are less lights and you can control which ones to keep on and you can also cover your windows with drapes to avoid direct reflections.

We can start making a noise about it in the showrooms and on various forums and social networks till it reaches the manufacturers. Even medium range TV's should have glossy screens, or at least an option for those who can control the lighting in their rooms to see the best quality of the picture. And I would never pay a premium price for a non-glossy screen. Vote "no" by not giving your money to them for such models with heavy semi-gloss coatings on them.
Difficult to reach manufactures.. As they supply worldwide.
But informative.
Making people aware about it looks a better option
Will always keep this in mind as I was unaware of this fact.
Thanks.

Has it come to that now? Wish it was like that when I bought my TV 5 years back. It was quite the opposite then. All glossy screens, hardly anything else.
I, for one, have never liked glossy screens (too reflective for my liking) and had to hunt far and wide for non glossy ones be it TV or PC monitor or laptop. I could never get comfortable watching my room or window light reflections on the various screens or my own face, for that matter, on my computers :).

I do accept that the colours are better on the reflective screen but that did not cover enough my discomfort with the reflections.
Of course, my experience is a little dated. Screens will possibly be different now.

Well ...
Glossy screens are good for dedicated small home theaters with designed low lighting.

A minimal coating is required to deflect/diffuse reflections in our everyday living rooms.
I personally do not want to see myself on the couch or curtains swooshing on the TV screen during dark scene content (in say horror movies).
I will be scarred for life :p

Cheers,
Raghu

I do accept that the colours are better on the reflective screen but that did not cover enough my discomfort with the reflections. Of course, my experience is a little dated. Screens will possibly be different now.

I personally do not want to see myself on the couch or curtains swooshing on the TV screen during dark scene content (in say horror movies).

There is anti-reflective treatment done on the glossy screens and so the screen isn't exactly like a mirror. However, most screens come with very aggressive matte-coating which ruins the experience and also causes eye strain and tires out the eyes more quickly.

If you have open windows right behind your TV that you cannot cover with drapes, then you will like the matte screen more. But unlike showrooms, we can cover the windows and control the lighting to be non-direct in our drawing rooms and bedrooms while still watching it with lights on and not in complete darkness like a projector screen.

There will still be some reflection, and mostly in very dark scenes. But in trying to completely remove the reflection the manufacturers of low-end models end up removing the visual joy out of the screens. If the choice is only between the two, I will choose to live with some reflections or turn off some of the lights in the room.

I have used glossy and matte televisions and monitors side-by-side and loved the glossy screens so much that I have removed all matte screens in my rooms and office.

Unless you really try it at the same time, you won't know what you are missing between the two viewing experiences.

While this isn't a good test, open a nature-wallpaper picture in full screen on your matte monitor and then see it in your mobile which has a glossy screen and carefully notice the sharpness and vibrancy of the image in the mobile (while ignoring the smaller size of the screen and the effects of any cheap plastic screen protector on your mobile's glass as that may also reduce some sharpness).

Link: Nature Picture 1

Link: Nature Picture 2

Then consider that you normally watch a much bigger size TV and for a much longer time of over an hour and so the overall experience will be much better with a glossy screen.

Apple's high-end iMac computer has glossy monitor screens for a reason. Sony and LG's most expensive OLED TVs are glossy for a reason.

But they are high-end products that majority of PC and TV users do not have access to. The manufacturers need to bring this "premium feature" down to medium range products. It was indeed common for all screens years back, but now they only see it fit for those who will pay anything to get a good quality product. And anti-reflective tech has also improved and so they don't need to make the screens dull or matte.

And please note that when you buy a screen, the brands can give you an option to buy a glossy or matte model, or do a coating on the screens or add filters to make them matte if you want.

But once a coating is done, the screen is gone forever and the customer cannot do anything if he wants a glossy screen and doesn't want to sell a kidney to buy a high-end model.

Those who agree that an option for a glossy screen should be given should make some more noise anywhere they can rather than just nodding and hoping that things will improve on their own. That's all that I am doing here. And I am not against giving the option of a matte screen to those who want it.

There might be something to what you are saying. But i may have to disagree with some things. I have worked with Eizo monitors, considered to be the best monitors at any price for graphics, never seen a glossy screen on any of their models. Also don't they have 'demo' mode when they display them in shops? Most TV's run a setup at startup and ask's the user to choose between home use and demo use. I have no idea why OLED's are mirror finish.

But i may have to disagree with some things. I have worked with Eizo monitors, considered to be the best monitors at any price for graphics, never seen a glossy screen on any of their models.

Eizo monitors are meant for graphic professionals for colour accurate work in all areas of the screen, and not for end-user viewers who use it for normal work or enjoyment. Extreme pro monitors even came with a box around the screen so that no light from outside falls on to the screen. This is so that what they see on screen is what comes out in the ad banners etc that get printed out in the physical world.

And so they have to work on matte screens, even if it hurts their eyes and they don't like it. It's part of their profession. But individual designers can choose whatever works for them best if their company doesn't force them to work on company selected monitors.

Also don't they have 'demo' mode when they display them in shops? Most TV's run a setup at startup and ask's the user to choose between home use and demo use. I have no idea why OLED's are mirror finish.

"Demo" mode on a TV simply means higher brightness. But that is also hard to beat reflections from the strong lights in showrooms. But that's not the only reason why they do it.

Mostly the brands get too many complaints from end-users about reflections at home. So they have probably decided to give them a matte screen as that is easier than explain the benefits of a glossy screen to the masses and ask them to bear some reflections. And they have left the higher-end models with glossy screens for the purists who know more OR for the rich who are willing to spend more for the best of the best, whatever it may be. And other brands would simply be copying what the higher brands are doing.

That could possibly be the only explanation. Otherwise wouldn't you expect the higher-end models to have even stronger anti-gloss coating on it if matte was better than glossy for TV viewing?

Now that they heard those complaining about glossy screens, those who want to have glossy screens need to start complaining about matte screens. And the best way to complain is to not buy models with heavy anti-glare coating on them. Why should you bear it when you are paying good money for it? I have explained how to check for it in my opening post in this thread.

I never said that all screens should be glossy. All I am saying is that give us an option to have glossy or matte screens based on our preference and at any given budget. We cannot remove the matte coating once it is done which is being forced on us. This goes for both TV and Home PC monitors (where you can prevent having direct light on the screen).

Well ...
Glossy screens are good for dedicated small home theaters with designed low lighting.

A minimal coating is required to deflect/diffuse reflections in our everyday living rooms.
I will be scarred for life :p

Cheers,
Raghu

I thought you were against glossy screens... but you bought an LG OLED TV C8 55 inch model.

That is one of the best high-end TV models (along with Sony OLED and Samsung QLED models) which I recommend for a glossy screen with no matte coating and a modern low AR treatment (anti-reflective). That is why you will see a purple tint when the screen is off instead of complete black.

And as you replied in your thread, you are enjoying it and haven't experienced any screen fatigue. That is because glossy screens will reduce eye strain compared to semi-glossy/matte screens if you can prevent light falling directly on the screen.

How are the reflections in the C8 in dark scenes? Even if there are some, do remember that the only alternative was a matte coating which would have spoiled your TV watching experience without knowing that you are not getting the best out of the screen that you can.

I thought you were against glossy screens... but you bought an LG OLED TV C8 55 inch model.

That is one of the best high-end TV models (along with Sony OLED and Samsung QLED models) which I recommend for a glossy screen with no matte coating and a modern low AR treatment (anti-reflective). That is why you will see a purple tint when the screen is off instead of complete black.

And as you replied in your thread, you are enjoying it and haven't experienced any screen fatigue. That is because glossy screens will reduce eye strain compared to semi-glossy/matte screens if you can prevent light falling directly on the screen.

How are the reflections in the C8 in dark scenes? Even if there are some, do remember that the only alternative was a matte coating which would have spoiled your TV watching experience without knowing that you are not getting the best out of the screen that you can.

Not against glossy screens, but reflections. Can see myself on the couch.
So no light colored clothes for serious viewing :)
Did not realize the new TV screen was glossy/reflective until you pointed it out and I went looking for it.

Last night, I watched "Black Mirror" on a "Black Mirror"

Cheers,
Raghu

Not against glossy screens, but reflections. Can see myself on the couch.

While having reflections can be a visible annoyance, having a matte screen will have an invisible disadvantage of no longer getting a sharp picture with popping colours and getting faster strain or tiredness to the eyes. That is why manufacturers don't try to explain the difference to the masses and take away the advantages of a glossy screen without anyone missing them and they do not have to listen to the complaints of the reflections which were easily noticed.

But the best of the best models available (including your LG OLED C8) have a glossy screen, for a reason.

And those with a strong annoyance to reflections should look at the models that are listed on the website that I have linked to and avoid the glossy ones.

A glossy screen already has a light AR coating on it and one cannot remove reflections entirely without stripping away the benefits. So TV buyers should first decide whether they want the benefits of an anti-glare screen or the benefits of a glossy screen since you can only have one of the two.

This thread is to bring awareness of the differences between a glossy and matte screen and a vote to give the power to the end-user whether he wants a glossy or matte screen rather than only providing matte screens in the lower models or only providing glossy screens in the higher models.

Did not realize the new TV screen was glossy/reflective until you pointed it out and I went looking for it.

Last night, I watched "Black Mirror" on a "Black Mirror"

When you are involved in the movie, you won't notice it much as you said. So enjoy the benefits without looking for reflections. This will only happen in dark scenes and you won't even see any of the reflections when you are watching a bright scene. And you can try changing which lights of the room you keep on to see if that lowers the reflections in black scenes.

And as I said earlier, whenever you notice a reflection, rather than being annoyed, be happy knowing that you haven't been given a matte screen that will give you a dull picture and will tire out your eyes quickly.

Today i went to a store to check out the AF8 and felt i was standing in front of a mirror! I stopped seeing myself on the screen only when the screen was filled with bright content.

So i suppose having glossy screen/OLED means its best to watch it in dark room. Since even in a medium to normal lit room, watching any content that has frequent dark scenes will be a very irritating experience, frequenly seeing yourself on the screen!!

How do the OLED owners manage this reflection in well lit rooms?

Last edited:
Today i went to a store to check out the AF8 and felt i was standing in front of a mirror! I stopped seeing myself on the screen only when the screen was filled with bright content.

So i suppose having glossy screen/OLED means its best to watch it in dark room. Since even in a medium to normal lit room, watching any content that has frequent dark scenes will be a very irritating experience, frequenly seeing yourself on the screen!!

We have a tiny table in front of the couch to keep remote, phone, chips/popcorn, water bottle etc.
It is reflected in the screen. It is distracting. These are things we can move if we change our habits

If you have light colored furniture, it will be very obvious. Couch/Sofa cannot be moved. And lights can't be off all the time.
So .... It's a dilemma

Cheers,
Raghu

This is not limited to just OLED. All high-end TV models have a glossy screen, including Samsung's QLED TV. You can see the list of high-end TV models with glossy screens on the website I have linked to in my opening post.

They give a glossy for the only best reason, which is to enjoy the TV that you have paid top money for in the best manner. I have explained the benefits in my previous posts.

The cost of that enjoyment is that you have to bear some reflections in dark scenes and control the lighting in your room. Don't compare the showroom's lights with your own home. It will be much less and you don't have to turn off all the lights as if you watching a projector screen.

We have a tiny table in front of the couch to keep remote, phone, chips/popcorn, water bottle etc. It is reflected in the screen. It is distracting. These are things we can move if we change our habits

If you have light colored furniture, it will be very obvious. Couch/Sofa cannot be moved. And lights can't be off all the time.
So .... It's a dilemma

You can search for and add a matte screen filter on top of your TV, if it is available in a large size which I am not sure about. Then it will no longer look give a beautiful picture, but then it is your choice.

Or you can make some minor adjustments for the sake of the best thing that you have in your room, which is a high-end TV that is regarded as one of the best models of 2018. Moving the table and placing a good looking designer dark cloth on light sofas may work. Or just turn off one extra light in the room. As I said, you cannot enjoy a good picture and avoid reflections entirely. You have to pick one of the two benefits.

Glossy screens do have a light AR treatment on them and so they are already less reflective without making them matte and so they are not like mirrors. Some reflections will be seen in dark scenes only and only if you have kept too many lights on. Some adjustments in the room may be required. But the benefits are worth it.

However, this is normally what happens in forums. Those who are happy and don't want to change anything stay silent. And those who are not happy list out their complaints.

I have nothing against those who want a matte screen if they don't want any reflection, but we are slowly losing glossy screens from PC monitors and TV screens without giving an option to the end-user.

Those who are already enjoying a glossy screen and happy with their TV or monitor should also share their opinion on various platforms. Or even the high-end models will start coming out in matte screens and they will be forced to buy that as their next purchase.

That will happen once the manufacturers do research to see the public opinion of their products and only find complaints about reflections and no complaints about dull, lifeless, eye-straining anti-glare/matte screens. Those users won't know what benefits have been taken out from their screens and what they are missing out on and so they won't complain. Specially if they have never used a glossy screen before.

So those who like glossy screens need to talk more about loving it and wanting to have a "glossy with light AR" option in lower-end TV models and PC monitors instead of the now default "anti-glare/matte" screen.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back