TV vs Projector

krunalkamdar

Hi friends
I am looking to upgrade my 50 inch 1080 tv in my bedroom. Home theatre attracted is onkyo 3700 5.1 setup which I am satisfied with.

My options are 65 inch 4k redmi tv :58k
75 inch qled 4k mi :1.18 lakhs
Or some 1080 projector.
4k projectors seem too costly.
Viewing distance is 12 feets, so ideally by thx standards, I should have a 90 inch screen.

What should I go ahead with. Source is only Netflix /prime (mostly 4k). Purpose watching movies.
Was waiting since an year for ultra short throw 4k projectors to come at reasonable prices, but they aren't coming down yet.
Viewing distance 12 feets.
Ambient light can be controlled.
Room size 14 by 16 feets.
Budget: 1 lakh (can be stretched upto 1.5) lakhs)

Kindly advice.

Nothing beats a projector for the best cinematic experience. If you can accommodate a minimum 100 inch screen go for a projector else settle with a 75 or 65 inch tv. You get good projectors in your budget.
Which projector would u recommend. Could I expect 4k ones around 1 lakh?
Is there any option for ultra short throw around this range.

Which projector would u recommend. Could I expect 4k ones around 1 lakh?
Is there any option for ultra short throw around this range.
Epson 7100 it has a mrp of 1.37L and with discounts you can get it at 1-1.1L. Two in my circle use it and gave excellent feed back. Don’t think it has ultra short throw option and one fm I know uses it at a distance of 9-10 feet to get a screen size of 96 inches. Native 4k will cost u 4L plus. Projectors like 7100 use pixel shift technology and support the play back of 4k and HDR contents. These are images shared by them and 7100 seems like a good budget friendly Pj with excellent pq. I will tag the FM who shared the below images and he will guide you even with purchase at best cost @Alfahath

Attachments

• 72FF58E0-1411-40CC-8C55-C29425D1389E.jpeg
    72FF58E0-1411-40CC-8C55-C29425D1389E.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 52
  • E129AFE6-39A0-49A2-AE50-8870CBF26F03.jpeg
    E129AFE6-39A0-49A2-AE50-8870CBF26F03.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 53
My opinion would be to go with a 85" or larger TV. Projectors have certain limitations, firstly they have limited brightness so if you like a bright image you are limited. Secondly of course you need to watch in the dark. I've been using projectors since 2010 and viewing for long periods in the dark is going to get stressful on the eyes/mind. What this means is that if you are going to watch a movie or two in a week it should work fine, but if you wish to use it like a TV then it probably isn't the best idea. I'm sure your aware of lamp replacements so I won't cover that. Now what a projector does offer is a large image for a relatively cheap price. The image can also be somewhat good but not bright. I have 3 projectors with me and I haven't used them in a long time, I use the TV because to me brightness is more important. Hopefully this can help you determine what will suit your needs. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I have an Epson TW9400 and a 75 inch tv in one of the rooms. I am able to project a 150 inch screen within my living room. The viewing joy i get out of my projector is unmatched by my tv. Moreover once I have used the projector, the tv starts looking so tiny that I have to wait a day to use it. The gaming experience on a big screen again like many things has to be experienced, I cannot describe accurately but it feels just so much more complete and "fuller"

If you don't have both, I think your eyes can adjust to both and make them look "big". However in terms of sheer size and awe, I would always opt for my projector.

Last edited:
I have used a Projector + TV combo for over 10 years, from some 720P BenQ to eventually an EPSON 1080P (can't remember models). I have to agree with most here - that if you have an option to put a projector, that experience is absolutely unmatched, the sheer size is an unmatched experience especially for movies and games. However, there are certain trade offs in both scenarios and I for example just went with a 65 INCH 4K TV (my viewing distance being around 10 8-10 FT) only setup for the last 3 years with my Epson still being packed up.

#1 - the cost and inconvenience - first is the cost of the projector + the screens (different types) and cables and mounts etc is quite a bit. Then the setup -I understand it is a one time setup but - the cost of setting up a projector + screen + running massive cables (unless you have a short throw) was not doable in my situation as I live in a rented house and going thru the same pain every 3 years was driving me nuts - that might not be the situation for you.
#2 - The issue with darkening the room definitely limits the projector usability - which you already mentioned is not the issue with you.
#3 - Is apples to oranges. Yes absolutely if you want to go for a 4K TV you can get one for your budget a decent sized screen too (maybe 75 inch tops), however the same in a projector will stretch your budget massively. Then a 1080P screen though beautiful and absolutely delightful, will not match the picture quality of the 4K TV. Yes the size is an experience, but it is a substantial sacrifice in terms of picture quality as far as I am concerned. Obviously a 4K TV that can give you a 100-120 inch screen will be more expensive than the projector absolutely.

So are a few compromises here and there - may or may not apply in your case, however a projector is a delight that TV can rarely match and TV is a convenience at a fairly decent price.

You can have both TV and projector.
Fix a screen on brackets so that it pulls down in front of the TV.

I had done something like that in my earlier setup. The screen was mounted on a box.
The projector was in a box on the opposite wall.

When I changed my setup, a friend took this screen and mounted it on steel brackets for the same purpose of having both options.

1 - Copy.JPG 5 - Copy.JPG

I also did something similar, the screen comes down in front of the TV however since I got a larger TV I don't use the projector anymore. People here should also keep in mind that as you make the screen larger for any given projector the image becomes dimmer.

My room is pitch dark when the lights are off, if there are no lights on you can't see your hand in front of your face. Have tried various image sizes and the only way I got the projector bright enough was by shrinking the size to about 40-50". I think it's a matter of if you are one of those who like dim images or bright images. If you like cinema mode or film mode on the TV, you might be okay with a projector, if however you use standard or dynamic or some of the other brighter modes on your TV you will most certainly find that the projected image is dim.

My room is pitch dark when the lights are off, if there are no lights on you can't see your hand in front of your face. Have tried various image sizes and the only way I got the projector bright enough was by shrinking the size to about 40-50". I think it's a matter of if you are one of those who like dim images or bright images. If you like cinema mode or film mode on the TV, you might be okay with a projector, if however you use standard or dynamic or some of the other brighter modes on your TV you will most certainly find that the projected image is dim.
Normally those who go for a projector and dedicated home theatre set up will be enthusiasts and won’t prefer standard or dynamic mode. They are the most inaccurate modes and in all videophile magazines professionals advice to avoid those modes. Images are artificial and whites are bluish. People who like artificial and inaccurate images may find the cinema mode image dim but pure enthusiasts and hobbyists will actually prefer the cinema mode.People who are used to old tech tv’s find cinema mode dull cause they are used to artificial colours and bluish whites. Cinema modes tries to reproduce images as intended by the content creator.

What's the brightness of your projector? I have an Epson EH-TW8100

Normally those who go for a projector and dedicated home theatre set up will be enthusiasts and won’t prefer standard or dynamic mode. They are the most inaccurate modes and in all videophile magazines professionals advice to avoid those modes. Images are artificial and whites are bluish. People who like artificial and inaccurate images may find the cinema mode image dim but pure enthusiasts and hobbyists will actually prefer the cinema mode.People who are used to old tech tv’s find cinema mode dull cause they are used to artificial colours and bluish whites. Cinema modes tries to reproduce images as intended by the content creator.

If by "enthusiasts" you mean people who read online and believe everything as gospel as stated by these "professionals" instead of using their own mind and preferences, and people who believe in numbers rather than their eyes, then everyone should avoid this train of thought. I hope that we see less of said enthusiasts and more of people who care about the experience rather than worrying over contrast ratios,black levels, color temps and tints etc. Let them have their calibration and numbers, I want no part of it, and neither should anyone who cares about content/experience and not gear/numbers.

By the by I know many people with very expensive projectors in large dedicated rooms who couldn't tell you what is a "bluish" white. Most people prefer a cooler color temp, if people want something warmer because people are telling them so that only means they are sheep, with no mind/preference of their own. All this only to strive to someone else's established standard that these people buy into blindly.

Naturelover, I have a EH-TW8300 as my primary projector, back when I was using one.

I would any day vote for a projector.

Yes, a tv is convenient. But a big screen experience is unmatchable. I have 2 projectors. A 9400 and a 5820 (1080p). Both are bright enough even for day usage. Of course the image is washed out during day, but at night on a dedicated setup, a 9400 is pure bliss.

My suggestion would be to get a 9400 at least and you would not miss 4k. Epson uses pixel shifting to display 4K content. Realistically you will not miss any detail if you stick to good source. Pixel shifting eliminates screen door effect to a great extent. Even at my temporary 5820 setup, I find pixels only if I sit at 4 feet !!!

A 9400 is a great projector for the money. I guess you could get one for around 1.8 lakhs or less if you bargain enough.

Edit: Like @Decadent_Spectre opined, one should look for the experience. At the same time, a projector with poor contrast will kill the experience as we are so used to a decent picture. Now most of us own 4K TVs.

9400 offers excellent contrast for most of us.

Last edited:
If by "enthusiasts" you mean people who read online and believe everything as gospel as stated by these "professionals" instead of using their own mind and preferences, and people who believe in numbers rather than their eyes, then everyone should avoid this train of thought. I hope that we see less of said enthusiasts and more of people who care about the experience rather than worrying over contrast ratios,black levels, color temps and tints etc. Let them have their calibration and numbers, I want no part of it, and neither should anyone who cares about content/experience and not gear/numbers.

By the by I know many people with very expensive projectors in large dedicated rooms who couldn't tell you what is a "bluish" white. Most people prefer a cooler color temp, if people want something warmer because people are telling them so that only means they are sheep, with no mind/preference of their own. All this only to strive to someone else's established standard that these people buy into blindly.

Naturelover, I have a EH-TW8300 as my primary projector, back when I was using one.
Not all enthusiasts are read and believe. Also you say that who wants warm picture are just sheep’s? Yeah I wil try to pass on this awesome information to movie makers and tv makers to stop wasting time and money. Why waste time with reference monitors and create content. Just give us a bluish image cause that’s what all enthusiasts who spend lakhs wants. If you don’t care about tints, colour, black level that’s fine but don’t be defending that’s what every one wants. I also know lot of pple who have good set ups and prefer warm just not for the sake of what others are saying but that’s what they like. Don’t be making these claims. People talk about all these factors for experience and feel. I myself have a decent set up. I used Sony full HD tv and liked standard and vivid mode. After moving to c9 I tried the same but didn’t like it cause my eyes started picking up on the inaccuracy. Then I slowly moved to cinema mode not cause others were saying but that’s what I liked. There are many who spend so much money using professional calibrators as well. So don’t be saying they are all sheep’s just cause they don’t meet your standards.Many liking standard and vivid mode cause they are used to that in the previous gen tv’s before 4k was a thing which is fine and nothing wrong but there is reference and preference. My brother using his old 43 inch led hd tv for years also said the same. He used to say my tv is dull. But after he upgraded to a 55 qled 4k and used it in standard, vivid mode he was happy initially but after some time he came to me and said something is not right. So I set his tv in cinema mode and now he is very happy. So I am not simply googling and typing. I am talking facts and with real life example.

Based on all your inputs I realize projectors have a much better experience but there is an initial pain in setting it up and they lack convinience. I guess to watch movies, projectors will better suit my need.

How are the mi laser short throw projector. For 1.5 lakhs(imported n without warranty), they seem to have 4k projectors with no hassles about cables etc. How are they in comparison to regular epson projectors like the 9400, etc.

Hi friends
I am looking to upgrade my 50 inch 1080 tv in my bedroom. Home theatre attracted is onkyo 3700 5.1 setup which I am satisfied with.

Or some 1080 projector.
Viewing distance is 12 feets, so ideally by thx standards, I should have a 90 inch screen.

What should I go ahead with. Source is only Netflix /prime (mostly 4k). Purpose watching movies.
Was waiting since an year for ultra short throw 4k projectors to come at reasonable prices, but they aren't coming down yet.

Kindly advice.
There is separate thread on MI75 QLED TV . You can get full details there. I am also setting up projector + TV in my living room. Will send u pics once it is done.

Hi friends

Or some 1080 projector.

Kindly advice.
Please consider one plus it is also best in picture quality

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back