TVs: How to convert Digital Audio Out (Optical) to 3.5 mm

anga

Moderator: I am posting in the TV forum since I want to convert Digital Audio Out (Optical) from a TV to 3.5 mm. If this thread is better suited else where, please move/cross-post there.

Bought LG 50PB6600.
To my surprise, audio output is available in only one form: Digital Audio Out (Optical).

How do I connect this port to headphones using a 3.5 mm jack?

What do you mean by 3.5mm? the headphone socket as in smartphones? If that is the case, you need a DAC (digital to analog converter) and a headphone amplifier.

You can also get an AVR which will usually give you the analog outputs or headphone outputs you need.

Which model did you get? Link please.
Is the audio in-sync with the video? Read about lag in some reviews.

Absolutely no lag whatsoever! An AVR is an amplifier that has an inbuilt DAC and can accept multiple inputs,especially multiple HDMI inputs. So you can supply inputs from your dvd/blu ray player, your satellite or cable set top box, a future xbox or playstation, or any other radio, audio, or video input.

AVRs also easily allow you to switch between these inputs. And most importantly, they have an inbuilt amp and have 5.1 ot 7.1 audio outputs so you can hook up suround sound speakers (or stereo for starters) and/or a subwoofer for bass. The newer models also allow you to stream audio or internet radio from your phone etc via bluetooth or wifi.

I have the Marantz Nr 1403 slimline avr. Besides Marantz, Denon, Yamaha etc also make AVRs.

Typically, you feed all these audio and video sources into your AVR, and then AVR output goes into your TV. So no need for optical out from TV. But that is how i have done it. I know some people also do the reverse.. feed optical tv output to the AVR although i dont know why. I am not actually an AVR expert.. in my case, it is more for convenience and i am running it only in stereo mode.

feed optical tv output to the AVR although i dont know why. I am not actually an AVR expert.. in my case, it is more for convenience and i am running it only in stereo mode.

TV w/ Optical out is apt for the minimalist to enjoy surround sound by connecting the optical out to a Sound Bar speaker system, where room space is not big enough to install 5.1 / 7.1Ch speaker set-up.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back